Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst Advice...

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    I was told you had to wash your fabric first. I did once and it was an awful mess to iron. I have never washed my fabric since and it's been perfect! I don't need to wash my fabric!! Maybe she does, but I don't.
    ditto! Ditto! ditto!

Blog Entries
    I wash my fabrics to make sure they are preshrunk and color fast. If I happen to buy precuts, which is not often, they do not get washed. To wash or not to wash is a personal choice and I will not tell someone they are wrong if they choose not to, just as I don't want someone to tell me I am wrong for prewashing.
    Yes JulieR I have noticed how "twichy" people get over this topic!
    When life gives you scraps, make a quilt.

I worst advice I ever got was that if I used a Color Catcher my red fabric wouldn't bleed onto my other fabrics. Boy, was I ever glad I didn't listen to that one!!!!

During my first and only FMQ class the teacher told us to use cotton thread for FMQ because polyester thread would melt when you iron the quilt
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anael View Post
    During my first and only FMQ class the teacher told us to use cotton thread for FMQ because polyester thread would melt when you iron the quilt
    I was told to never use poly or wrapped poly thread because it would "cut" the cotton fabric. Superior Threads debunks that all the time.

That you can't mix different weights of fabric in a quilt, or that you can't use synthetics, or knits...that it must be only 100% cotton, of the best quality.

I've made some lovely quilts using upholstery fabric, fer crying out loud!

Alison

don't pre wash. I got bugs, fabric bleeds and uneven shrinkage the first two quilts I made. And THANKYOU! now i know that the spitting headache and tiredness weren't stress and a touch of the flu.
    Now I always prewash using either salt or vinegar depending to set the color and use the dryer for bugs. but i make good everyday quilts my stuff is meant to be used to death. and I do!
    don't stop!just keep trying and something usable will turn out!!

Blog Entries
    The FMQ instructor at my LQS insisted you can never cross your stitching when FMQ. Sorry, ____, some of my favorites are loops de loops.

Worst advice ever was "It doesn't matter if you prewash or not....just use a color catcher"....my quilt had bright red, white and black....the red ran and the color catcher didn't catch it all ...now all the white is a real pale pink....now I always prewash/dry and use retayne for bright colors....if you take out the fabrics before completely dry, you won't have many wrinkles

Blog Entries
    i just started pressing my seams open and Oh...what a difference...not bulk and the seams go together perfectly...
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria View Post
    I'm not sure if this qualifies as worst advice or even bad advice but I've never heard this before. I was looking at one of my first quilt how to books (I think it is Better Homes and Gardens even) and it instructs you to press from the back (not locking in the seam, or pressing the seam open, but the pressing the seam to one side). I have tried this the past 2 days on little 4 patch and 9 patches I am working on and it seems to be working okay. In the next few days I am going to see if this helps with stretching the fabric--especially when doing little strips like one inch strip sets. Bad advice, I don't know yet???

Blog Entries
    I am glad you mentioned this..I am using a box of free fabrics for my king size bed quilt...also different weights and upholstery fabric all from a fabric company in Chicago. All have been prewashed and ironed...hoping i will have not issues once doen.
    Quote Originally Posted by alisonquilts View Post
    That you can't mix different weights of fabric in a quilt, or that you can't use synthetics, or knits...that it must be only 100% cotton, of the best quality.

I've made some lovely quilts using upholstery fabric, fer crying out loud!

Alison

Blog Entries
    I still do not understand what the difference is...polyester vs cotton. I use cotton but there was an awesome deal on the polyester thread at a thift store by I did not buy them since I did not know if I shuld use them or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anael View Post

I was told a large needle size keeps inviasble thread from breaking and skipping stitches.. NOT! I have had the best success with the smaller size needle.

Worst advice I got was to set my stitch length to 7 stitches per inch because since I was a beginner it would be easier to remove the stitching when I made a mistake. My first couple quilts were a nightmare because the seams would split at the ends of the blocks. I would have to resew them so I could finish the next part of the quilt where the same thing would happen. Now I sew with12 stitches per inch. I'm much happier.

Worst advice was how to pin the fabric pieces together. This included how to pin where seams meet.

I actually how I was told by the teacher since I discarded that rather quickly once at home and found how it best works for me.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Worst advice: You always have to put patterned next to plain....

Blog Entries
    All advice I take with a large pinch of salt. Do I need to do it or not. I make my own mind up about comments and pick those that help me. The worst advice I have heard is teachers telling ladies how to cut or pin fabric and the ladies trying to say but my hands want do that. Arthritis is a problem as we get older and younger quilters fail to understand and give bad advice.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I think the one about poly thread "cutting" cotton fabric made my mouth drop open when I read it on the internet first. I laughed and went on.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
    Worst advice is that it MUST be done a certain way..I quilt for family, friends and fun...and as Sinatra says..I did it MY way!!
    . I'm with you. It's to stressful other wise.

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
    I was thinking we hear lots of advice from teacher, friends etc..regarding quilting. When I first started I watched a tutorial on the internet that said never iron seams or pieces. I tried that once...never again. Yes you can make a quilt...but it does not look as nice. It really makes a huge difference to take the time and iron the seams. What poor advice have you heard and tried?
    I think this advice meant not to "iron" the seams but to "press" them. Ironing can distort the block, especially if there are bias seams or edges.

I still cringe at some poor advice I gave to students in a beginning garment construction class. One astute student, followed my advice literally and could have ruined her garment. But the garment was much too big, so the seams had to be redone. In my inexperience of teaching others, I told them to "trim all INSIDE seams"
    to 1/4 inch. Well that was the wrong choice of words. (After all, ALL seams are inside the garment.) We were attaching a facing to a neckline. The word I should have used was to "trim all ENCLOSED seams to 1/4 inch."

The person who advised not ironing may have just not elaborated and said that pressing was a better choice.
    Last edited by GailG; 01-21-2013 at 04:19 AM.
    One step at a time, always forward.

To me, the worst advise is what I see in magazines for "skill level". I've never taken a class...only done reading and researching and a LOT of trial and error. Some projects I've done were set for skill level of intermediate to advanced, but the project wasn't that hard. Here's one example that I made after only quilting for a few months.
    The only time something is done 'wrong' is if you do it and you don't like what you created.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The answer is no, unless you ask.

Finish one project before you start another. If I did this, I might still be stuck on that first bad project. New advise: if you don't like something, get bored or stuck, put it away and move on. If you will NEVER like it, pass it on to someone else.

When I first began quilting, I went to a workshop at my local quilt shop that was being conducted by a Janome consultant. When I said I was working on my first quilt and it was a queen size, she laughed and then told the entire group that was something a beginner should never do: begin with a gigantic quilt. I was mortified. That quilt turned out just fine and I've made queen and king sized quilts over and over again since that day without having any problems. I didn't like her at all, and if she hadn't embarrassed and ticked me off, I probably wouldn't have continued quilting. She just made me that much more determined to do it and do it well.
    Karen in Kentucky

Blog Entries
    Pat - I 100% agree!!!

I have been quilting since Oct 2005, and it this has ALWAYS been my
    sewing room motto:

It is MY money
    It is MY fabric
    It is MY project
    It is MY time
    It is MY way, not YOUR way

However if YOU want to be the person to PAY for everything then YOU
    can tell me what and how to do things. Until then keep you opinions to
    yourself UNLESS I ask for it.

(No I am NOT a nice person when it come to someone telling me I MUST
    do something a certain way).

Quote Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
    Worst advice is that it MUST be done a certain way..I quilt for family, friends and fun...and as Sinatra says..I did it MY way!!
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
    Worst advice ever was "It doesn't matter if you prewash or not....just use a color catcher"....my quilt had bright red, white and black....the red ran and the color catcher didn't catch it all ...now all the white is a real pale pink....now I always prewash/dry and use retayne for bright colors....if you take out the fabrics before completely dry, you won't have many wrinkles
    There's the problem - a color catcher - I use 5-8 depends on how big the quilt is. I've also heard that you can use muslin yardage and get the same results. I made a completely scrappy red/wh and had not an iota of color fading. BTW, try oxiclean to get the pink out of your white. I did have a piece of damp white sit next to a red and it colored, but the oxi took it right out.
    Judi in Ohio

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast