Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Worst Advice...

Blog Entries
    I have been told over and over again by a quilt police masquerading as a friend that "You can't mix colors all together in a ____________ and expect the end result to look good." "It has too much movement/color, etc." is another favorite piece of her advice. However, at Christmastime she told a friend in my hearing that I used excellent colors when I quilted. HUH?????? Whatever!!! I use colors that appeal to me and want to play together (even if not nicely) and I quilt with crazy colored thread that usually show up both on the front and on the back.
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
    I was thinking we hear lots of advice from teacher, friends etc..regarding quilting. When I first started I watched a tutorial on the internet that said never iron seams or pieces. I tried that once...never again. Yes you can make a quilt...but it does not look as nice. It really makes a huge difference to take the time and iron the seams. What poor advice have you heard and tried?
    You know, with hand piecing it isn't as important to press each seam during assembly because you don't sew into the seam allowance. You assemble by sewing point to point, not sewing across any seam allowances, so it's a lot easier to press them later when the block is assembled and you can see which way they should be pressed.

But machine piecing...I do press those.

Don't computerize your long arm because that isn't real quilting and isn't really artistic. I love my Intelliquilter and I feel just as artistic using it.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Yes the "MY WAY" thing works with pre-washing fabrics, why/how to press seams, etc. Try it and find what works for you.

i dont remember getting any advice and something wrong happen when i tried it , but then again if it doesnt sound right to me i dont try it

Quote Originally Posted by catmcclure View Post
    He's a really great guy, you ought to marry him.
    This cracked me up. Not really quilting related but it can be so true.

I use Connecting Threads polyester cone thread for every quilt I quilt. It's great, my HQ16 loves it, and so do I. It's somewhat linty, but since I haven't used any other thread on it, I can't say whether it is more or less linty than any other thread.

My DH just serviced it this week. There was some lint in the bobbin area (which I expected) but next to none in the rest of the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
    Worst advice is that it MUST be done a certain way..I quilt for family, friends and fun...and as Sinatra says..I did it MY way!!
    I totally agree with you!

My then 7 year old niece put me in my place when she used two fabrics to make her first quilts. I was VERY skeptical, but it was really cute. Learned my lesson very well!

I have 5 years of "experience" quilting, and forget this every time I make a quilt. Finally figured out a way that works for me, so it must be my right way.

Worst advice was not to preshrink my fabric. Ever have a red abric ruin your quilt! Even with a few colour catchers it didn't prevent bleeding. I'm a prewash convert.

I think the advice was not to iron (move the iron from one place to another) on your seams, but to press so there is no stretching. It took me forever to realize the difference

I am with those who take every bit of advice with a grain of salt and do what feels right. That said, I am a sucker for every book or list of "quilting tips." I have learned so-o-o much from them. I just ignore the ones that seem strange or out-of-sync with the way I work.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
    Machine quilted is not a real quilt. Huh??
    I think this is advice given by hand quilters that don't want to admit that machine quilts are better quality and more likely to survive the washing machine and most people prefer them.

Quote Originally Posted by Michellesews View Post
    Maybe they meant not to iron, but to PRESS. I teach quilting and I stress over and over that you must press, but not iron...or you will stretch your shapes out of shape.
    I'v always thought they were the same thing. What is the difference?

Teeler, this is for you. Don't get me wrong- I totally love this quilt, but at the time, it felt like a nightmare. The other thing I learned when making this- i was worried that my star and snowball sections didn't line up perfectly. Then I watched QIAD program and saw E Burns' Tennessee Waltz quilt. Hers didn't match up all the time either. I figured if she could show hers on national television- I could be happy with mine! I also love her galloping horse rule too!Name:  image.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  290.9 KB
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

One of the first quilts I made was in a LQS class 25 yrs ago, an Amish Roman Stripes quilt with black background and backing. The teacher (shop OWNER) recommended the batting to use, so we Newbies all bought it from her. It was an unbonded polyester, white (just before black batting or W&N came out) ...
    Our lovely Amish quilts were soon all BEARDED, that lousy white poly batting migrating through. We were quilting by hand, back then, but I stopped and started over with another batting. Never took HER advice again !!
    Last edited by TexasGurl; 01-23-2013 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
    I'v always thought they were the same thing. What is the difference?
    Pressing means LIGHTLY done with the iron, up and down movements ONLY ... vs IRONING all across the block, horizontally, like we do with clothing ... which stretches it out of shape

Blog Entries
    Guess I was just lucky all those years ago when I saw a picture of a braided quilt in a magazine & just had to make one,king size to boot.Had no clue how quilts were made,so cut out a couple strips of cardboard & went at it with my scissors & trusty Sears $ 60 special.There were maybe 3 paragraphs of instructions.
    I sewed & sewed using Walmart fabric.
    By the time a friend's Sis offered to quilt it for me,I had 2 more tops done,a Log cabin & and a Roman Star,all K size.When they were returned,I cried.They looked beautiful to me & I was so proud!
    From there,I went to the library & found books on quilting.Along with magazines,they were my teachers.What worked for me was asking questions,but also using common sense.

By the way,I still have my 1st 3.They are wonky for sure,but still beautiful to me.
    Pat

The worst (and best) advice always begins with "you CAN'T". Worst because it's usually wrong, and best because then I am determined to prove how wrong!
    www.makeminepatchwork.etsy.com
    www.zibbet.com/makeminepatchwork
    "Piecin' a quilt's like livin' a life...The Lord sends us the pieces, but we can cut 'em out and put 'em together pretty much to suit ourselves, and there's a heap more in the cuttin' and the sewin' than there is in the caliker...I've had a heap of comfort all my life making quilts, and now in my old age I wouldn't take a fortune for them." (Eliza Calvert Hall, Aunt Jane of Kentucky)

Someone told me the way to sandwhich a quilt was to layer everything wrong side out like a giant pillow case, then turn it and slip stitch the open end. Needless to say, it also didn't get quilted right. It was a case of someone that didn't know what they were doing telling someone else how to do it. I still have that quilt in a closet waiting for me to take it apart and fix it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4