Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Worst Advice...

Blog Entries
    My worst advice was being told "you need to pick up and clear out your sewing area after each time you sew, so you have a nice clean area to work in the next time you sew." I have wasted time, energy and frustration doing this. No longer, Well, dust, lint, threads, cutters, rulers, piles, books, and stuff and I now live happily with each other
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

Blog Entries
    I was told that you have to use bias binding to bind your quilts. Now I only use it on curve boarders. If someone tells me I have to do it a certain way I'm aready thinking in my head of a different way it could be done.lol No rules,quilting police just have fun.

I really can't think of any bad advice I've received. I take all I can get!

I was told that you do not have to pin or trim the blocks or press...BIGGEST mistake I ever did was listen to that person,who thought she was a teacher(she was not). I was new and didn't know any better.

I learned the techniques from a pro and found out that you must pin and trim the blocks to size after they are pressed.
    Pat, Lover of Art Deco and Applique
    www.BobbinKnobbins.com

suzyquilter

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
    I was thinking we hear lots of advice from teacher, friends etc..regarding quilting. When I first started I watched a tutorial on the internet that said never iron seams or pieces. I tried that once...never again. Yes you can make a quilt...but it does not look as nice. It really makes a huge difference to take the time and iron the seams. What poor advice have you heard and tried?
    I had someone help me sandwhich a quilt. (She was an instructor) She had me "stretch" each layer of fabric using excessive amounts if spray between each layer. Needless to say I almost ruined a quilt that I'd used very expensive fabric on. I had to salvage it by using a high loft batting, but first having to wash and rewash the fabric. The good thing that came out of this is, a friend taught me how to properly pin a quilt. No more spray for me.

I am still using rotary cutter towards me. Bad habit i need to break.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
    I was thinking we hear lots of advice from teacher, friends etc..regarding quilting. When I first started I watched a tutorial on the internet that said never iron seams or pieces. I tried that once...never again. Yes you can make a quilt...but it does not look as nice. It really makes a huge difference to take the time and iron the seams. What poor advice have you heard and tried?
    He's a really great guy, you ought to marry him.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=catmcclure;5802346]He's a really great guy, you ought to marry him.

HA HA HA HA HA HA I read that twice before I actually got it! I was trying to put it into a quilting situation.
    ​We can't help everyone, But everyone can help someone.

love your horse!

Blog Entries
    when first started to fmq they said pedal to the metal it does not wowk for me i have to slow it down

I agree with Hopeto quilt! The worst advice one will get starts with either "you must always", "the correct way to", "never do it that way", etc. The majority of quilters know that there are no quilt police, and that there is often a different way to do something, and the way that works best for each is the best for that quilter!

pal
    The BEST advise I ever got "Enjoy the Journey". And I do.
    PACE - Positive Attitude Changes Everything

"All things are literally better, lovlier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."

Blog Entries
    diamonddee and catmcclure: I am still laughing out loud over that one--I went back and read it three times before it rang in for me.....
    Make every day count for something!

JoAnn

Quote Originally Posted by catmcclure View Post
    LOVE IT!! I have heard it 4 times..LOL..Now if I can everr FIND the last one, so I can divorce him!!

Quote Originally Posted by Quilty-Louise View Post
    Pat - I 100% agree!!!

I have been quilting since Oct 2005, and it this has ALWAYS been my
    sewing room motto:

It is MY money
    It is MY fabric
    It is MY project
    It is MY time
    It is MY way, not YOUR way

However if YOU want to be the person to PAY for everything then YOU
    can tell me what and how to do things. Until then keep you opinions to
    yourself UNLESS I ask for it.

(No I am NOT a nice person when it come to someone telling me I MUST
    do something a certain way).
    I like your attitude way!

Best advice - if you make a mistake, make another one just like it and say it's suppose to be that way - heard Liz Porter say this.

If an instructor ticks me off, I don't take a class from them again. A few years back I signed up for a quilt as you go class and bought all my supplies and precut the batting. She was extremely upset with me over the poor quality of my batting. All the supply list said was batting. I was new. Good grief, when I was a kid we bought wool blankets from the Salvation Army and that was our batting. We used old cotton sheets for foundation strip piecing.

I say, if someone gets real snooty, tell them to go to a quilt museum, like the one in Paducah, and look at the quilts made more than 50 years ago. You will find that the points don't match, some seams are crooked, mixed fabrics because they used the good pieces of worn out clothing. Yet, all these quilts are beautiful.

So, my advice is, don't stress on the small stuff and enjoy quilting. Now a days when I take a quilt class, I don't argue with the instructor, I learn new stuff, if I don't like a certain procedure, I don't do it that way, I find a way I'm comfortable with.

LOL I also thought this was the worst advice I ever got.
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    "That fabric you picked is just wrong for that pattern and it won't work" an insistent and very self-assured sales lady told me at an LQS. I was new to quilting and allowed this "expert" to convince me to change course. The fabric she suggested worked but it wasn't what I had in mind and I never finished the quilt. Ended up passing the top on to community service at the guild. Now I take my DH with me when I need color advice. He has a good eye for color and he has my best interest at heart.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Blog Entries
    My Home Ec teacher I HS told me I was making a mistake taking physical science instead of another year of home ec becauses I would never see the inside doors of a nursing school. Ha----I am a retired RN.
    Mary
    Mary
    Quilts cover us with warmth and love!
    Make quilts not war

[QUOTE=diamondee;5802368]
    Quote Originally Posted by catmcclure View Post

HA HA HA HA HA HA I read that twice before I actually got it! I was trying to put it into a quilting situation.
    Yes! Excellent :-)

the last bit of bad advice was a worker at handcocks told me that a serger doesn't have to have a special needle just use the regular machine needles. I was trying to do a QAYG with my serger. nice idea but I just ended up messing my machine up so never again. also my old machine wants serger needles or the other just break. I don't know bout the new ones but i learned that those who know it alls---- don't. I read and watch and i'll try different ways but then I go with what works for me. I just wish some people could be a little bit less snooty when they want to stick their nose up and give advice. and I don't show my work to anyone here cause this family only believes they can do anything and play quilt police on everyones elses stuff. I'm not the quilt police so i say my oooohs and ahhhs and just enjoy looking. but learned not to say anyone else did a good job to the one where i am at. don't want to get onto there competition or take sides. both do nice work as far as i am concerned and they quilt traditionally I usually paper peice and applique so we have total different taste.they also like speedy things and i go slow and just relax with my work. I just put binding on a wallhanging and added some buttons of animals as embellishment. it is a farm scene and orchard on the road side type. I need to learn to take pictures and put on here and see what you all think. since my stroke i stick with something small. that is why the last quillow i need to get don't takes so long. all three got done but for some reason this one will end up animals beds and i ordered more material to start over. after this i don't want to facer another quillow for a while LOL.

You can't use THOSE colors together!

I figure any advice offered is neither good nor bad, its just advice! I make the assessment and decide which advice to take and which to ignore. I also try to always politely thank the advice giver, even when I know that I am never going to follow up on the advice. If I am unsure of something, like what needle to use, then I listen, and try to some research on my own ( bless the internet!). I find that advice is mostly offered with good intent, and a desire to help. So a simple "thank you" goes a long way toward keeping the peace at the fabric counter! (Works with my family, too!)
    ​tea

Blog Entries
    I was almost affraid to look at this post, thinking about what bad advice I may have given

Press, press press!
    peace

I think the worst advice was to not bother to pre wash fabric.
    Last edited by ube quilting; 01-21-2013 at 02:25 PM.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

That there is only one way to do something! There are as many ways as there are quilters and you need to do what works for you!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast