Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you pay $5 for a quilt raffle ticket? >

Would you pay $5 for a quilt raffle ticket?

Would you pay $5 for a quilt raffle ticket?

Old 10-06-2011, 06:33 AM

our guild charges $1 each or 6 for $5. I don't buy or sell raffle tickets. I only have king and queen size beds and rarely have I seen a queen and never a king size quilt. I suggest your daughter get a part time job to raise money. I don't know how many quilt raffles raise enough money to get the real cost of making a quilt back. People do buy the tickets, but I think they are like the lottery...a donation to the state
Old 10-06-2011, 06:36 AM

I think $5 for a tickent during these economic times is a little high. I think you would sell more tickets if priced at $2.00. If you can get one of your local TV news channel to interview for community causes that would be a big plus too.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:37 AM

I have spent 3 for 10.00 before for a quilt raffle I would do it again. I would not go any cheaper than 2 for 5.00
Old 10-06-2011, 06:39 AM

I just bought tickets yesterday at the Hospital on a quilt. $1 each, or 6 for $5. I spent the $5.00 as I got more chances for my money. I might not have bought 1 ticket for $5. Wish you lots of luck with your raffel though.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:39 AM

I don't think it is too much, especially with all the money, time and love that goes into a quilt. On the other hand economic times are bad now too. So I think you giving the two options is a great idea. The cause is worthy and the price is in the medium range, not too low and not ridiculous either. I would pay it. Good luck on your efforts, and I will certainly pray for daughter on her mission trip, in these uncertain times in our world, we need more good people spreading his word.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:45 AM

If folks would keep in mind that they are "donating" to a good cause without expectation of something in return the price of the raffle ticket does not matter.

On the other hand with the economy the way it is and with the above in mind some might not still be able to afford $5 per ticket but the fact that it also would have 3 for ten attached to it, it most likely would still pay off.

It would however leave those off that perhaps could only afford a dollar for a ticket.

Key is to figure out what would work in your demographics and economic times however do not sell yourself short by going lower than what you suggest.

Personally I would pay any price for a lottery if it's for a good cause as this one would be. I have paid ten dollars for a ticket to help high school kids get equipment and go on a trip in a neighboring town last year.

I think your thought on $5 for 1 or 3 for $10. sounds more than reasonable.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:56 AM

I have been to several events where they only raffled off
one quilt. (These quilts were all done by hand-no machine
sewing at all) They only charge $1.00 per ticket and seems they always make a big profit. Maybe with the economy what it is today more people will shell out $1.00 with out any problem. What ever you decide to do, I pray you will raise
the amount of money needed for this mission trip.
Betty Lee
Old 10-06-2011, 06:56 AM

I bought a $5 raffle ticket for an xmas quilt, not because it was something I really liked, but just because. I was probably the only one who bought a ticket because I won the quilt. :) The owner of the quilt store informed me later on that one of the quiltmakers would buy it back from me for $125. The ladies who made the quilt did a beautiful job on it, but it's the first thing I've ever won, so I kept it. It's in one of my spare bedrooms.

The moral of the story is, $5 is probably too much for a raffle ticket for the general public for a quilt, unless it's made by Susan Schamber or Ricky Tims. Then, that's not enough.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:04 AM

I think it's half dozen of one, six of the other. If they are $5 each, people might not buy as many, but if they are $2, people will buy more. Higher price, lower sales; lower price, higher sales. Either way, the odds of winning will remain the same.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:06 AM

absolutely. Have, would and will...