Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 16 of 44 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 26 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Quilt for Quilters Swap (Closed)

Blog Entries
    We have had a lot of rain for the last 3 days, which means I have had a lot of quilting time, hee hee hee. As a result I am putting the last border on Elizabrat's quilt today! Now on to the quilting part, and I am terrified. I FMQ everything, and I admit that I love STID. I don't have the steady hand needed yet for feathers that look like they should, mine look like my molting hens after a dunking. And I love this fabric just as it is, so I don't want to take away from the pattern by overdoing the quilting part. Does this make sense to anyone else? I will probably get it basted and just look at it for a few days for inspiration. And don't even get me started on figuring out the thread colors!
    May your blessings be many, your troubles few and your fabric stash endless!

Quiltermomof3 I decided on a pattern for your scrappy quilt!!! Now to start cutting!!! Woohoo!! I love this part!!! Actually making the top!!!! Do you want pics(if I can load them that is!!) or do you want to be surprised!??!!

Blog Entries
    The Palouse is only an hour from me going south and yes it is pretty. Has a nice lake in the area. Went to a quilt retreat last July in the ares. So I finally got to see what it looked like myself. The Palouse also contains the college Washington State University. It is a vast area. I suppose for me though, living in Montana nearly all my life, the Palouse can't hold a candle to the Flathead Lake area with the Glacier Mountains. Or, the Beartooth Mountains in the southern central area near Yellowstone Park. Now there is some real pretty country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    QuilterMomma-how nice to receive a ribbon after such a short time long arm quilting....practice really does make perfect.....unless I'm making a baby quilt I have someone else do the quilting..most I make are king size and I can only imagine what kind of a mess I'd get into with my old machine (it's from the 70's but still stitches pretty good with routine maintenance). Another question....do you live near an area called Palouse..think it's a land conservancy, anyway it is so beautiful..we want to go there.
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

A few years ago we rented a place on Flathead Lake with our children, and I agree, it is the most beautiful place we have ever visited....water so clear you could see the bottom. The water was cool but we went swimming everyday. How lucky you were to grow up in that beautiful state.

Blog Entries
    That explains why you have "dancing bears" in my quilt. Yep, you gave it away.
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

Blog Entries
    I figured I better check in while the reading is still manageable. I am still in Oregon, might be here a while, might stay here! Oh how I wish I could talk my Husband into moving. I have lived in So Cal long enough, I want to come home! Oh well...So I am sewing about every other day. Mom get's tired easily so we work together packing her stuff and going through things. I know how hard this is for her so we go slow. The pictures take me back. We spend a lot of time going over the pictures. I asked my sister to bring her scanner over so I can scan them and let all the Sibs have copies of what they want! Mom is so afraid some one is going to steal them! So we eliminated that scare!

my Partner is giving me a great starting point, right now we are getting to know each other. I don't want to start on her quilt until I know I can devote some serious time to it!

Well have a wonderful week everyone~ I love the fabrics that you are all using. I can't wait to see the finished quilts.
    Give a smile away today, someone you meet might need one!

Quote Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
    That explains why you have "dancing bears" in my quilt. Yep, you gave it away.
    Well, let me see.....I don't want to give anything away, but the name might be a bit of a fooler....maybe not....you're probably way ahead of me.

Blog Entries
    Reminder:

This swap has a couple of really important requirements:

1. At least weekly, you need to be in touch with your partner. I don't care if it's through PM, email, text, phone, or weekly commutes to her sewing room. You need to be in touch. If I find out that's not happening, the non-responsive partner risks getting dumped from the swap. Sorry. This was a real problem with a few people last year and the QB admin insisted on this rule.

2. Monthly-- By the 15th of each month (that was yesterday), each person sends me a PM letting me know how far along they are with their quilt for their partner. I suggest that you put a reminder in your calendar with the following text in it, which is what I need to hear from you:
    o 100% complete and ready to be shipped!
    o 90%: need to finish quilting and binding, then she’s ready for lift-off!
    o 75%: sandwiched and about to quilt
    o 50%: nearing completion of the top; about to sandwich
    o 25%: fabric cut and piecing in progress
    o 5-10%: know the design; have most of the fabric; dragging my feet getting started, but I WILL complete and be ready to ship THIS QUILT BY JULY 1 (2013)!

I don't want to be a policewoman, so please do your part. Thanks.
    jillaine

Blog Entries
    i think the gods have smiled on me for once--- probbaly not happen again in this lifetime but I'm grateful. After deciding on a pattern I started to make the templates i would need for this quilt only to realize that the pattern given had to have seam allowances added. My fat quarters ( a packet I had received as a gift almost a year ago) would be one piece short of the needed amount A frantic search at Hancock's and JoAnne's for fat quarters to match was not fruitful and i was desperately trying to determine alternative fabrics to use; but then I remembered I had seen a FQ packet at Mill Ends a couple weeks ago with the very fabrics i needed but would it still be there? My son humored my quest for a wild goose chase across town in search of these elusive fq's. The gods that be smiled upon me for a moment---long enough to grab that Fq packet (saleslady said there had only been two of them and I had just snagged the last one). better yet it was on sale for $6.99 --saving me $3.00.

Quote Originally Posted by roseirish48 View Post
    i think the gods have smiled on me for once--- probbaly not happen again in this lifetime but I'm grateful. After deciding on a pattern I started to make the templates i would need for this quilt only to realize that the pattern given had to have seam allowances added. My fat quarters ( a packet I had received as a gift almost a year ago) would be one piece short of the needed amount A frantic search at Hancock's and JoAnne's for fat quarters to match was not fruitful and i was desperately trying to determine alternative fabrics to use; but then I remembered I had seen a FQ packet at Mill Ends a couple weeks ago with the very fabrics i needed but would it still be there? My son humored my quest for a wild goose chase across town in search of these elusive fq's. The gods that be smiled upon me for a moment---long enough to grab that Fq packet (saleslady said there had only been two of them and I had just snagged the last one). better yet it was on sale for $6.99 --saving me $3.00.
    I love it when life actually gives you the lemonade....not just the lemons!

Jillaine....thanks for the reminder. PM'd you.
    Last edited by mindless; 01-16-2013 at 04:07 PM.

Yes, sorry Jillaine. PMing you as soon as I close out of here.
    Kathleen

Live today as if it may be your last, for who knows...

Pm sent sorry about that.
    Hugs
    April

Anybody has a "Surprise me partner" like me? If you do..., how are you approaching the design/color of your quilt? Are you going to do something you like?
    andrea
    :-( I wish I was a full time quilter!
    Andrea (Margate, FL)

Woo hoo! I can't wait! I have to get 1 more fab, however I started cutting!!! Woo hoo!

Quiet day on the boards today, everyone must be sewing. I'm really liking the way Buddy'smom's blocks are turning out, I hope she likes them as much as me. She may have converted me into a fan of purple.

My local quilt shop was having a sale today, $4.50 per yard for all their fabric in the sale room , including all holiday fabric, and 50% off huge group of their pre-cuts. Lets just say I may be in trouble if my hubby checks the credit card bill too close. lol

Have a great night everyone!

Blog Entries
    well i started on the quilt--got the first 185 seams done. Now comes the hard part--I hate pressing--mostly because the standing bothers my back and never found sitting while ironing/pressing to be comfortable for me. Oh,well, that's on tomorrow's agenda.

well i started on the quilt--got the first 185 seams done. Now comes the hard part--I hate pressing--mostly because the standing bothers my back and never found sitting while ironing/pressing to be comfortable for me. Oh,well, that's on tomorrow's agenda.
    185 seams?!?!? Holy smokes woman! You are a quilting machine today!!!!

That is an accomplishment. Why don't you put a little table on the side of your sewing machine, those folded table where you can put a little ironing board that you would take to classes and iron seams right off the machine? You can do it while sitting and since you are sewing and ironing you will get it done all at once. Then you wouldn't have to press all those 185 seams at once.
    Just an idea, you can also lower the ironing board to the same height of the sewing table and place it in an L shape by your machine.
    :-( I wish I was a full time quilter!
    Andrea (Margate, FL)

One more peek????
    Attached Images Attached Images
    buddy'smom
    April's mom
    Tara's mom

I know I will just love them all. Purple is a stunning color.The best part is you made it for me and I'll cherish it. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by shortmom5 View Post
    Quiet day on the boards today, everyone must be sewing. I'm really liking the way Buddy'smom's blocks are turning out, I hope she likes them as much as me. She may have converted me into a fan of purple.

My local quilt shop was having a sale today, $4.50 per yard for all their fabric in the sale room , including all holiday fabric, and 50% off huge group of their pre-cuts. Lets just say I may be in trouble if my hubby checks the credit card bill too close. lol

Have a great night everyone!
    buddy'smom
    April's mom
    Tara's mom

Quote Originally Posted by buddy'smom View Post
    I know I will just love them all. Purple is a stunning color.The best part is you made it for me and I'll cherish it. Thank you.
    I love the block, the pink goes really well with the blue and green. I just can't believe it's for me, it's so beautiful.

Buddys mom holly cow tht is not a peak that is a TADA!

Twinrivers go on vacation would ya/ you are making me feel BAD. I was hoping to get the last fabric today but apparently tomorrow will be my lucky day. I wrote my first update so I am 15 to 20 percent I guess I have a pattern no thinking on that, have all but one fabric in hand and well time this weekend to cut. Twinrivers you have to slow down girl your making me LOOK bad too lol. Btw I like light quilting. I am not into the heavy quilt designs unless its stipplng say on a country style quilt? and its funny you mentioned feathers but they are my least favorite quilting design. lucky me you are not ready to fly on them. I stitch in the ditch. then I can.. stitch in the ditch and then there is always the stitch near a ditch for variety. Sure hope those choices dont overwhelm you!.
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

Blog Entries
    Elisabrat, I stitch in the ditch and out of the ditch and back in the ditch, one of these day maybe I will stay in the ditch. Everyone says practice, practice, but how long do you have to practice before getting it????

Boop, I've got the top done, I think??? Might add a few blocks more. Thinking about the borders???? I'm going AR for my yearly cancer check-up. sister and I are going to Marshall's Dry Goods, hopefully will find a pretty backing, that will go with the top. Will be my first trip to Marshall's, I'm so excitied..been putting money in my 'Ladies Day Out" piggy bank.

Does anyone else have a small dictionary or spelling book by the computer???? Its my life saver. In my senior years it seems like its the simple words I can't remember, LOL

I know you don't care for pink, but most Civil war has some here & there. This is a kit and just stunning. I hope you enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by shortmom5 View Post
    I love the block, the pink goes really well with the blue and green. I just can't believe it's for me, it's so beautiful.
    buddy'smom
    April's mom
    Tara's mom

Blog Entries
    DH and I fenced in a large field last year, and I dug all the holes with a machine called a Ditch Witch, so that is what I call myself when quilting! I actually have much better luck in SITD since I got a special foot that has this little teeny guide that fits right in the seam to guide it, although I am still FAR from perfect. I am counting on you having failing vision and a guide dog who won't tell on me. Heaven knows I am not trying to make you look bad EBrat, silly girl. I have few distractions during the winter months, so I sew for about 7 hrs a day. We are not TV watchers (ever!) ,QB is my only cumputer addiction and we live in the middle of nowhere. BTW- I love your new avatar!
    All the fabrics you all are showing here are awesome! Definitely a lively group this year, huh Jilliane? Any lurkers out there that we need to draw out to play? Don't be shy now, you can do it!
    May your blessings be many, your troubles few and your fabric stash endless!

Page 16 of 44 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 26 ... LastLast