Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2019/2020 2.5" Birthday Swap >

2019/2020 2.5" Birthday Swap

2019/2020 2.5" Birthday Swap

Old 03-15-2019, 05:32 AM

I'm also working on quilts for little ones. I have the Pony quilt ready for the LA, and just got the second I Spy top together. I've got one more I Spy top and then I plan on using the same backing for all of them. I load the backing on the LA, and then put the smaller quilts side by side and quilt them up. I'll use the same variegated pastel thread and an all over meander so I can go right across two at a time.

I am hoping to get them all done this weekend.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:21 AM

Red, congratulations on your win! Hope you are feeling better. I'm still looking for the accuquilt bom. My birthday is next month (82!) and DH said for me to pick out what I want to get in Accuquilt.
Hope you all have a great day!
Old 03-15-2019, 08:32 AM

Sunrise, thanks and yes, I am starting to feel better. Man it was a bad one!

I found the blog where she posts it (same posts as on facebook). Hopefully this will help you. Wish I had known it was there, first. Would have made things much easier.

What dies are you thinking of getting? I think for any b'days in the 80's it should be doubled. (hehehehehe)

https://www.beaquilter.com/p/2019-qube-qal.html
Old 03-15-2019, 10:22 AM

I’m working on binding 4 UFO’s, and making 1-3 = 8” blocks for my guild and 2 =BOM blocks, and in between working on BHMQ-gh (which I call BHMQ- 2018).
Old 03-15-2019, 11:35 AM

I'm participating in the red-White-Blue swap on these boards. I have two of my blocks done and need to plan out my other blocks. Last night I went to our local Quilter's Guild Meeting for the first time. I was in shock! They had so many cool activities and areas to join. Our small town does not have a quilting store, just a JoAnns. I was expecting to walk into a room with maybe 15 to 20 ladies, nope. At least a hundred! Tons of food, door prizes, raffles, library of quilt books, vendor selling quilt holders and other accessories. My head was spinning as they were talking about their retreat coming up, their nationally known quilter coming to do a two day class in June, community quilts, etc. etc., etc. I've always felt "alone" in my quilting since none of my sisters, my mom, or friends do it. And everyone was super friendly. And they were clearing out fabric so after I paid my dues I wandered over and got a bag of fun scraps.

So how many of you belong to Guilds in "Real Life"? I'm not sure what I am looking for from it yet. I have learned so much and have loved doing the swaps here. It'll be interesting to see what is "highlighted" each month. Last month they learned "Folding Quilt Blocks" (a flying geese and pinwheel pattern) and many brought in their samples this month. They looked cool, but I don't think I would want to make them - -it used more fabric and I was wondering if it would get caught under my foot when quilting. But neat to see. This meeting they had a four foot replica of a needle and went through all the parts and why they work the way they do. Kind of cool. Honestly I didn't know there were so many parts and angles doing what they do cause I can hardly see the eye!
Old 03-15-2019, 12:16 PM

I joined a guild last year. I loved the fact they do a lot for charity, which is dear to me. We have retreats, guest speakers, show/tell, food, prizes, games, challenges, the works. It is a fun group. I have seen some political games played here and there, but it's what I expected, to be honest. So I keep my big mouth shut (quite the accomplishment, let me just say!) , and just go for the fun.

I haven't participated in a retreat, because hubby built me a super cool sewing studio, but I am going to my first sewing day with a different group tomorrow. They spend the entire weekend once a month sewing and gabbing. I'm just going for the day to make sure I fit in, and then I will decide if I am going to do that.

Like you, many of my friends do not understand the concept of buying fabric only to cut it up and sew it back together

I hope you have fun!

(and I'd love to find out where they got the 4' replica of the needle. Our guild would Love that!)

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-16-2019 at 10:27 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 03-15-2019, 06:35 PM

I am part of a guild. It meets in a small town just south of where I live. When I joined about 10 years ago is was a group of about 24 or 25. It is now pushing 60 but there are many snowbirds who disappear in October or November. We do some charity projects and a small sub group is passionate about QOV. We always do a mystery quilt, a year long quilt-a-long, and a block exchange. We have two retreats and for me that is enough. I have learned so much from these gals and over time we have become dear quilting friends.

Red, I also participate in several sewing days every year. It is a pleasurable one day mini retreat where we chat, sew, sew, eat, sew encourage each other and then sew some more. It is good to get a single project finished or well underway in one sitting.

Irish, keep "auditioning" guilds to find the one that fits you. It is such fun to be encouraged by others and to then encourage back. Quilters can be such kind folk!
Old 03-16-2019, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by redstilettos View Post

(and I'd love to find out where they got the 4' replica of the needle. Our guild would Love that!)
It was a hand made prop -- so picture Lots of tin foil, a rope for the thread, colorful duct tape for the color stripes on the top! It really made the presentation more fun and easy to understand.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-16-2019 at 10:26 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 03-17-2019, 05:45 PM

Me too IrishMom!
Originally Posted by IrishMom View Post
So sweet of you! In my head I saw balloons and confetti falling!
IrishMom...Happy St Patrick's Day
Old 03-17-2019, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by barbarakibler23 View Post
Me too IrishMom!

IrishMom...Happy St Patrick's Day
Aww, thanks! It was a great day to be Irish!