Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2022 - 2.5" Birthday Swap >

2022 - 2.5" Birthday Swap

2022 - 2.5" Birthday Swap

Old 03-16-2022, 04:28 PM

Yea! all present and accounted for. Lov'in it!

I went to Shipshewana, Indiana, yesterday, only an hour from home, to buy fabric for a "commissioned" quilt. I got most of the fabrics at Yoder's Department Store. Oh, what a beautiful bright and abundant quilting store! Haven't been there since Covid. I just loved walking in to see two walls of bolts all arranged by color families and then row upon row of additional fabrics by single designers or lines. At leas 1/3 of the large department store is fabric and quilting/sewing tools.. I got most of what I needed. I am off to another shop in Charlotte Michigan, The Hen House, tomorrow to hopefully get the remaining pieces that I need. Then I will be on the fast track to get this one done ASAP. Love spending someone else's money on fabric! Tee-Hee-Hee. Not a 2.5 in the whole quilt, but hopefully some yummy scraps that can be transformed into 2.5's

Happy St. Patrick's Day to you. Keep dreaming of leprechauns and their wee pots of gold.

Attached Thumbnails st-patty.jpg  
Old 03-17-2022, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

I dream of getting to Yoders one day!
Old 03-17-2022, 11:21 AM

Happy St Patrick’s Day everyone. Our weather is gorgeous today. 72F, mostly sunny and not too windy. Prefer day to be outside and relax.

?, I just need to clarify, we only have 17 members for this swap, including ourselves. Please correct me if I’m wrong. Later next week I plan to bag up my candies and place in the cards. Am I correct on how many I need?
Old 03-17-2022, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by happylab View Post
I just need to clarify, we only have 17 members for this swap, including ourselves. Please correct me if I’m wrong. Later next week I plan to bag up my candies and place in the cards. Am I correct on how many I need?
That's the number I prepared for.
Old 03-17-2022, 04:31 PM

There are 17 on the swap list. So, you need to prepare for 16 unless you want a set of your 2022 Birthday Candies for yourself.

I always make a couple extra sets. One for myself and one just in case a package gets lost wandering about the country
and does not arrive to its Birthday Swapper.

Watch for a PM from me on Sunday with the next round of addresses for April. We have three birthdays in April. Whoo-Hoo!!

I did get the last fabrics for the quilt I am making for someone else. With this being a Virtual Quilt Weekend as well as Saturday being National Quilting Day, I hope to get some serious progress made. The pattern is slow and fussy with too many bias edges, but my can of spray starch is close by.

Sewbizgirl, if you ever head north and get to Yoder's, let me know. I would love to meet, shop and I will treat you to lunch. There is another well stocked shop, Lolly's, that makes for a grand second stop for fabric too. .A lovely little town to spend the day any season. Summer weekends are very busy but weekdays are less busy.

Old 03-17-2022, 09:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
Sewbizgirl, if you ever head north and get to Yoder's, let me know. I would love to meet, shop and I will treat you to lunch. There is another well stocked shop, Lolly's, that makes for a grand second stop for fabric too. .A lovely little town to spend the day any season. Summer weekends are very busy but weekdays are less busy.
That sounds GREAT!! Thank you for the offer!
Old 03-18-2022, 07:26 AM

I want to thank you all for the beautiful candy sets! There is so much variety, with themed sets and wonderful scrappy goodness! Thank you for the lovely birthday cards and notes and poems! You all out do yourselves with making a birthday special!

Sorry it took me a couple of days to actually open the envelopes up. Our family got hit with the most horrible stomach flu that knocked us all sideways. We are all feeling a bit better today, as in no one has vomited in 12 hours, so hopefully we will all be better by my birthday. Fingers crossed! Either way, I think I'll pass on a birthday cake and prepare our postponed St Patrick's Day meal and Irish Soda Bread for my birthday. The thought of cake makes me nauseous right now!
Old 03-18-2022, 09:01 AM
Power Poster

Sorry your family got sick, NZ. It's awful when it goes through the whole family. Hope you are all feeling better and you are still able to enjoy your birthday.

Have fun playing with those candies!
Old 03-18-2022, 04:23 PM

It sounds like you ladies have been having a good time. That's wonderful! Sorry I haven't been posting much. I have been lurking and enjoying all the ideas that you all throw forth. I wore myself out with rag quilts for my nephews and the other 2 for my sisters. I still have 3 rag quilts left to do. I'm working on 1 right now, but I get distracted so easily. I've been making quilted bags/totes and zipper pouches. I've also made scrunchies, that was fun. I've made prairie point potholders and folded fabric star ornaments. I'm working on perfecting a pattern for sewing your own underwear. The first prototype worked but I didn't cut it quite right. I'm using the old cotton knit shirts I have. I have never made alterations before, this is new.

I have been making string blocks and baby windmill blocks when I get a chance. One day, hopefully soon I'll have enough string blocks to put together a quilt. I can't wait. I've been taking everyone's scraps and making little stuff with them for the past couple of months now.

I even upcycled an already upcycled tote bag that was originally an quilted and embroidered pillowcase from what I can tell. I boxed the corners and made a lining with several pockets for it and use it when I get together with my local quilty gals each week.

I've also been working on my physical therapy. I got so sick after covid it messed up my stomach and I lost almost 30 lbs in 2 months. I'm mostly better now. I graduated from physical therapy almost 2 weeks ago and I transitioned over to the gym. All was well until Monday, Spring break. The boy brought flu home to us... I don't remember having body aches like this before. Now I have an earache and the beginnings of a secondary bacterial infection. I went and got antibiotics today, still feeling like crud but in better spirits now.

I hope you guys like my book of a post. I have slowly been adding to my stash of 2.5s as I go through scraps and cut them to size if needed. I need to start making 9 patches and keep a bag of them going like the strings and baby windmill blocks.

Have a wonderful weekend. We're supposed to have good weather this weekend, hope we will get to enjoy some of it.
Old 03-18-2022, 05:24 PM

So good to hear from you, Loveofquilts! I do get concerned when folks don't pop in now and again. So glad your on the mend and pressing forward. Long or short love the progress reports. Sounds like you have been busy with tasks and health and quilt making. post a picture of your projects and as the year progresses, I bet we will see more finishes from everyone.

Keep strong NZ. Ok, strong enough to enjoy your favorite birthday treat and a wee bit of celebration.