Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2023 - Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" squares) >

2023 - Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" squares)

2023 - Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" squares)

Old 01-16-2023, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Thanks for all the sweet comments about my grandbaby. They decided to name him Gentry. So Gentry he is! They gave him two middle names, Ivan Henry, for the grandfathers. That’s a lot of names!

Before I got the baby call and hit the ground running, I had just finished the Illusion quilt top. Here it is.
sorry it loaded sideways!
Love it. Want to see it quilted. Have you gotten more finished?
Old 01-16-2023, 01:26 PM

New pattern alert! I saw this on one of the FB forums and asked if she had a pattern. She didn't but this was what she said "I made this using a photo from Pinterest as inspiration.
I worked out that there are two sub-blocks - four scrap squares sewn in a 4-patch and a grey and white half square triangle (HST). A block is a 9-patch made up of 4 of HSTs and 5 of the scrap 4-patches. The HSTs are arranged so they have a grey side against the centre scrap block and so the diagonal lines all run in the same direction.
This QS quilt uses 36 of these blocks, and I arranged them to make the grey and white concentric diamonds"

Wow- so much easier than I had thought - so I will be working on it!
Attached Thumbnails fb-lynn-duhig.jpg   fblyn.jpg  
Old 01-16-2023, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl;[url=tel:8585398
8585398[/url]]Thanks for all the sweet comments about my grandbaby. They decided to name him Gentry. So Gentry he is! They gave him two middle names, Ivan Henry, for the grandfathers. That’s a lot of names!

Before I got the baby call and hit the ground running, I had just finished the Illusion quilt top. Here it is.
sorry it loaded sideways!
love this illusion pattern and yours turned out beautifully scrappy. Don’t you just love putting these candies together with out thinking!!
Old 01-16-2023, 04:30 PM

Sewbizgirl -- love your illusions quilt!!

Rebaquilts - your avatar is great! I need a $5 clearance precut. I bought a bunch of charms and a jelly roll on Fat Quarter Shop this past week that I should not have bought but I was doing retail therapy and bought the sales.... not as affordable as your precut though. My charm packs were $6.98 but I got them for particular reasons including wanting to see what the fabric manufacturer is like. For $7 and a lot of variety in colors, it was worth it even though I am on the fabric moratorium. I have considered using precuts for the swap but decided against it. Not everyone enjoys working with pinked edges. They don't bother me so these are my precuts :-).

Quossum -- that orange fabric is gorgeous!! I can't wait for my birthday and I have a long time to wait!

Janice, I envy your preparedness. I'm almost ready to start cutting and stacking.

WMUteach -- between you, Sewbizgirl, Travelinggramma, and Janice with finished quilts, wow!! One day I hope to get some quilts done but in the meantime, I love the journey.
Old 01-16-2023, 05:18 PM

I see that several of you have mentioned making a couple of extra sets. That is a good idea because from time to time a birthday package does wander off into cyber space and we need to resend. I also keep one each year as a little archive of what I have done in the past. Just my quirky thing.

Mine are cut and nearly all packaged. The first birthday address will come to you on Friday, January 20. Only one February birthday, so breath deep and get ready to for our first birthday mailing. Yeah!
Old 01-16-2023, 05:23 PM

WMUTeach, I’ve only got one extra package. If more than one goes missing in the mail, I’ll be scrambling! Lol.
Old 01-16-2023, 05:53 PM

I made up 20. Had to purchase more stamps. They were 84 cents…….last time I purchased it was only 70! And they are going up! I found out that square envelopes cost more than the 5x7!

Got my top done for I spy. Really wanted to sandwich it and start quilting. BUT…I share the room with a Macaw. Loud. And he decides when it is time to stop sewing. Needless to say, I am working on renovating another room in our sons house!
Old 01-16-2023, 05:53 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
Love it. Want to see it quilted. Have you gotten more finished?
Been out of town with my new grandson and 3YO granddaughter. It's not a priority, but I'll get it done.
Old 01-16-2023, 05:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by travelinggramma View Post
Got my top done for I spy. Really wanted to sandwich it and start quilting. BUT…I share the room with a Macaw. Loud. And he decides when it is time to stop sewing. Needless to say, I am working on renovating another room in our sons house!
...For the macaw, I hope.
Old 01-16-2023, 05:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by travelinggramma View Post
love this illusion pattern and yours turned out beautifully scrappy. Don’t you just love putting these candies together with out thinking!!
This one has specific Lt, Med. and Dark squares. Had to think a little bit.