April - Boom 18

Old 05-20-2017, 11:58 AM

Pattern is called Flight North by Mountainpeek Creations.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:53 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by terriamn View Post
Pattern is called Flight North by Mountainpeek Creations.
Thanks, that's totally cool! Flying geese all the way around....
Old 05-21-2017, 05:15 AM

I have a few panels - with material to match. Then I don't FMQ and hate to sew over the large block with straight lines - so they sit and wait in their own bag!!
Everyone is going through something. And I am learning since my mom may soon be there. So far can laugh at most of her ideosyncracies, but than there are the days that I am not at my best. I tell her I love her, and have her believing that it is me that is the issue and not her!
So glad you all are taking care of yourselves.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:43 AM

Kass -- try the FMQ while on the drugs. Sometimes freeing up the brain does allow the fluidity of movement. I am so sorry you're coming down with a secondary infection. Lots of fluids and Sewbizgirl's chicken bone both & greens soup!

Sewbizgirl -- great quilt!!!

Dementia in any form is evil. My aunt just died from a rare frontal form of dementia that likely happened because she was an xray tech back in the day. Had lots of other physical issues that the doctor's couldn't pin down. I hope they use her case study to find solutions to the problems. I wonder how much of the dementia we see these days is because of technology or mad cow disease, which essentially happened because we keep feeding animals all parts of infected body tissues. Obviously, I deal with the issue by trying to understand how it happens. Thank you for sharing how you deal with dementia.

Now back to my UFOs. I will be a lurker for the next BOOM. Too many UFOs....
Old 05-21-2017, 06:17 AM

Sorry to hear that Ibex...love having you make blocks..hope you get them ALL done and can join in the 20. Ive been debating the next one, I sure dont need to make anymore quilts and have only 2 UFO's, one almost finished and this groups still stare at the blocks and say "what to do with them".. I LOVE seeing other peoples fabrics and matching fabric with them and I definately love the conversations and friendships...DIL is an RN and just got to go to 3 12 hour days so no more babysitting on weekends so Ill have plenty of time...IF I can find the fabric Im thinking about Ill join if not Ill have to go thru my stash and pick out something...
As far a Dementia, its horrible. I see it every day at the nursing home..its so sad when they dont know their own families or think someone is a bad person they use to know...when they try to get out to go home...especially the ones with sundowners..We have found they love music so we have a few people come in and sing or play guitar or piano during the week..it seems to help. The WORST Ive seen is something we had never heard about before called Leiubody dementia...probably not spelled right....This young 50's guy was admitted, not sure who he thought I was but grabbed on to my hand and would not let go. His wife kept saying he wouldnt hurt anyone but it was sad..It came on him so quick she said, doctors didnt know what it was at first..long story short...he got worse really fast and died within a month.. He use to ride motorcycles, camp, had a good job...it was so sad.. A few years later when Robin Williams commited sucicide they said he had Leiubody also...Hope they find what causes it soon..its horrible on the patient and the family and friends...Prayers to all of you who are going thru all you are right now...getting older is rough!
Old 05-21-2017, 06:18 AM

Haven't been on here in a few days, lots going on. Sure hope you get better soon Kass, eventually you'll feel like a new woman I'm sure.
It's so hard going through the "tough" days with parents. I've been there too with my Mother and Dad. Only thing I can say is that I would do it again in a heart beat, just to have them here. Seems every day or so I see or hear something that really reminds me of them, all good memories but sometimes it makes you sad and other times it makes me laugh out loud.
Sewbiz, I looked on this stabilizer and there is no name on it at all. It's just a very thin, tightly woven material with the shiny side having the iron on sticky stuff. If you want send me your address and I'll mail you some to see if it's different than what you have. Don't know if this pic will show you but I'll try, it's on top of a pink cutting mat. 1st pic shows the glue side, 2nd the woven side. It's almost like a tightly woven gauze.[ATTACH=CONFIG]573448[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]573449[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dscf3452.jpg   dscf3453.jpg  
Old 05-21-2017, 10:01 AM

I've been putzing around w/ the Citrus Summer / Citrus Nights (front and back names). Just the simple light weight stuff now. The sashing units and surrounding each block w/ an orange frame that will interact w/ the sashing. I found some great fabrics to make the sashing and to do the back with (some from my stash some the store) I did make the binding for the En Provence (de' Noir) but have to wait to attach it.

I'm still relying on the pain meds and lots of resting. But not bleeding as much now so there is some progress.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:03 AM
Power Poster

Never heard of lieubody dementia or sundowners... but will look them up. I work with lots of older people at the gym and some have dementia.

I wouldn't want to bring my father back. He wasn't enjoying life anymore. Sometimes death is a blessing... a reward for a long life lived. We have to be generous and give them up when it's time. Life is so short anyway. It's going to be our turn soon... but I hope none of us suffers dementia!

Jaba, that interfacing sounds like something entirely different than what I used. French Fuse is tricot knit and still has a little 'give' to it. Much less than an unbacked T shirt block, tho. Now that the quilt is done I don't mind the quilting so much. The batting is a very light but lofty polyester, and has just enough "puff" to make the quilt really cuddly. I think what I struggled with the most was working around all the plastic letters and numbers, and thick silk screen paint. And the fact that the quilter only had about 13" of workspace. At least now I know that is not enough for me, should I ever buy a longarm.

Sorry that so many of you are not going to 'play' this next round. Sometimes we just need a break, tho. I'm probably going to send fabric to make charity lap quilts, as I did this last time in the April group. I don't need any more for myself, but the charity quilts are always needed and greatly appreciated. I love making the blocks and swapping. Can't wait to see how many we are going to have swapping this time.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

Lewy body dementia...
Old 05-21-2017, 10:37 AM

Sundowning is a term used to express how those w/ dementia / alzheimers seem to get more confused later in the day as night approaches. Usually are more clear or have better lucid times in the morning.