April - Boom 18

Old 01-22-2017, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by All2Pieces View Post
TG - That center is astounding. The shading is gorgeous. And the flying geese just tops it off. The rays remind me of compass roses, with which I have a fascination. Where did you get the pattern or did you design it yourself?
It is called NY Beauty Circle of Flying Geese. I paid $5 on Craftsy for it. It went together very easy and I was amazed that the points hit the geese!! Still have the inner circle to do. Just haven't figured if I was making it 24" or 36"!
Old 01-22-2017, 09:10 AM

TG - Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into it.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Libster View Post
Oh, what pretty blocks! It's amazing how color placement can totally change how the same block looks. You're going to have your group hooked on swapping too. Bravo!
Thanks Libster, I hope so! Maybe some of them will end up over here next time we swap.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:04 AM

Ok Ladies, I'm getting nervous. You are all making these intricate blocks that are beyond my abilities. I hope you like simply pieced blocks and applique.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by All2Pieces View Post

SBG - as always, awesome blocks. You are such a fast worker with a great eye for design and color. The 7 blocks posted show how the same color and/or designs produce such different visions. You even used the same block pattern on 3 but they look so very different.
Such nice compliments, A2P! Actually the weathervane with lots of lime green in it was a MISTAKE, but if you want to think I'm a genius for it, I'm ok with that... HA.

My big victory was the Drunkard's Path. Never tried one before and it is a bit tedious. I pieced those watching old Mayberry reruns and I will be thinking about Barney every time I see that block! Isn't it funny how you remember the movies or TV episodes you were watching when you made something? Brain connections, I guess.

My package of y'all's F8ths will arrive tomorrow. Yippee... can't wait to play with those too.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mjpEncinitas View Post
Ok Ladies, I'm getting nervous. You are all making these intricate blocks that are beyond my abilities. I hope you like simply pieced blocks and applique.
Don't be nervous! Simple or complex, they all look great together in a quilt. This is an opportunity to try out some different things you don't normally make... because you don't have to make 24 of them for a whole quilt, only one! So sometimes you'll see some fancy stuff... because we're playing! Simple blocks that let the fabrics shine are beautiful too.

Applique sounds wonderful.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by mjpEncinitas View Post

I love applique, making it and receiving it. I like pieced and applique mixed. Simple blocks are just as beautiful as the more complicated ones. I will usually ask before I do applique because not everyone likes it mixed with their pieced blocks. But, hey, that's what makes us all tick.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:36 PM

Mjp and everyone else, there is a Pinterest user named Sally, who swapped with s several swaps ago. I don't remember her board name, but she has a Pinterest board for 12.5 inch blocks. Mostly from Delaware Quilts and Quilters Cache. I like it because she has pictures of the blocks instead of just a list of names.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:41 PM

SUCCESS!!!!! at last. We rescued a little 2 lb toothless yorkie a couple of months ago, this little guy is about the pickiest eater I have ever come across. He loves sugar, but the only food we have found he will eat he is allergic to. We've had to keep him on steriods and even then he pulls his hair out and has a horrible rash itches all the time. I feel bad for the little guy but he is refusing all food we try. He won't even consider canned food, but he can't eat the hard and even if he could it is full of the allergens that are making him sick in the first place. So anyway I got on line and found a "recipe" w/ hamburger, eggs (with shell ground) sweet potato and broccoli AND HE ATE IT!!!!! It takes about 10 minutes to make it and I can make a weeks worth or so, and is soooooo much cheaper then the fancy food we've been trying to get him to eat. Now let's see if his rash clears.

Now if only the little man in my head would quit poking my ear w/ the ice pic all would be grand.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:29 PM
Power Poster

Hooray for the Yorkie, Kass! And I hope you feel better too.

Do you ever hear the ads for "Dinovite" supplements for dogs on your radio? People say it clears up their dogs allergies, itching, excessive shedding, etc. My dog doesn't have any issues like that, but if he did I'd give the dinovite a try.