Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
August Secret Pal Sign Up Closes July 31st 4pm CST >

August Secret Pal Sign Up Closes July 31st 4pm CST

August Secret Pal Sign Up Closes July 31st 4pm CST

Old 08-05-2012, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by reeskylr View Post
I'm good with other magazines too!

Ahh....SP, I am heading to Jo-Ann's tommorrow with my 50 percent off coupon. I'll see if I can find that fabric you need. I'm also gonna toss some really good coffee in the box when I send it.

Krystyna: Thanks for the story about the Xanax and the job. Any more these days it seems everything is stressfull. If it isn't the job, it is the people and the dramah! I just cannot do the drama any more or the negative attitudes. I try to stay up beat.
Well, I just wrote a comment and it disappeared so will start again. I hear you Reeskylr about the workplace drama. Big fight between two 50+ year olds on Friday and my boss, the Controller let it go on (she was involved, too) in the open for about 15 minutes. This is coming to a head and started in January. So far I have been able to not take sides and stay out of the fray, but it is stressful.. I'm too old for this childishness. Is it time to retire yet? I used to love going to work, but lately, I dread it. The CFO returns tomorrow after a 5 week vacation. Should be a big to do - typical Monday, right? lol.

And Krystyna - here is a photo of the patriotic block I did for the QAYG quilt. As one who has not done a lot of quilting, I was unsure if the batting should be the 12" or the 14" size. I made it the 14", as you can see. Also the backing is 15" because it is fraying. I hope you don't mind doing the final slicing and dicing as appropriate. Better too big than too little, I hope. AND, if you can't use it at all, my feelings will NOT be hurt, so don't be afraid to tell me if I screwed up. Constructive criticism will be welcomed so I can learn from my boo boos!! Seriously - I mean it Krystyna. Don't be afraid to tell me what I might have done wrong. So without futher ado, my attempt at creativity.
Attached Thumbnails patrioticblockkrystyna.jpg  
Old 08-05-2012, 11:18 PM

SharonAnne, I really like your patriotic block. I especially like the border. Great impact!

Another clue to my SP: she likes vintage machines as much as I do.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by Anastasia View Post
Geez.. AARP has been harassing me to join them for years. I want to know how old they think I am!!! I'm not even 32 yet..
That is to funny... Just think what it will be like when you turn 50... LOL
Old 08-06-2012, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by TheMamaHauser View Post
I didn't think of this in time for August's secret box, but how do you ladies feel about non-quilting magazines, like Martha Stewart & Real Simple?

I usually save them to donate to my son's school (cause what 3rd grade class doesn't massacre magazines for art projects?) but his teacher said she's still full from last year.

I was thinking maybe I could stick one or two in the swap packages, but since it's not directly quilting related, I thought I'd better ask first.
Kelly Those are two magazines I don't get and I wouldn't mind seeing them... not sure how others feel but cooking always interests me even if I don't do alot anymore...'
Old 08-06-2012, 03:59 AM
Swap Hosts

Sharon Anne, I love that block! It is perfect!
Yes, it was me who fell asleep during the online class - during the segment on how to know when it's time to stop driving! Hahahaha!
Except for a homemade goodie, my package for my secret pal is done! What's in it? Stuff! Good stuff, too.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by TheMamaHauser View Post
I didn't think of this in time for August's secret box, but how do you ladies feel about non-quilting magazines, like Martha Stewart & Real Simple?

I usually save them to donate to my son's school (cause what 3rd grade class doesn't massacre magazines for art projects?) but his teacher said she's still full from last year.

I was thinking maybe I could stick one or two in the swap packages, but since it's not directly quilting related, I thought I'd better ask first.

Kelly - That sounds like a great idea. I like most others do other crafts aside from quilting and it would be a nice surprise to receive a Martha Stewart magazine or any other crafting mag! I love to see pictures of various things made by others and find it fascinating to see people's creativity. I for one feel you can never have too many mags or books to help along the way of one's own creativity. Although I am guilty of not getting to make as many things as I would like when I do see patterns or projects in the magazines but still nice to know they are there in case time allows.

Well my SP box is almost ready (first secret swap so I am super excited) - just waiting on one item so I should be able to ship it out by the end of the week. Hope she likes what I send cuz I sure had loads of fun shopping and making a few goodies. I told my DH about this site and swap and he thought I was crazy with how excited I was when telling him all about it. hehehe I felt like a little kid and all he doing was smiling and shaking his head....lol
Old 08-06-2012, 05:58 AM

Okay - SPs your packages are in the mail. Two tracking numbers - might be yours 03120090000099183900 and 0312009000099183917. The mouse went south!!

Sharon Anne - AARP is 'the voice of the seniors' - and sometimes their voice I feel, particularly on health insurance issues is way far left - far right? - far out. They sell insurance (what they originally were set up to do), so naturally, they are supporting the governmental plan that everyone must have insurance and, of course, theirs is available. I didn't like the way they handled all this - and telling everyone that this is what seniors wanted. Well, it wasn't what hubby and I wanted. When you feel called to stand up for or against something in protest somehow, you do - we quit.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:05 AM

Oh, forgot to say, I'd be okay with other magazines in my box too. Don't normally subscribe to them, as I don't always take the time to read them so it would be a waste of money. But I do enjoy reading them once in a while. I'm okay with homemade items, too and jellies and jams - not lobsters, though (I prefer good ole crabs first -I'm from New Orleans, we eat 'southern food' not northern.
Sharon Anne, your patriotic quilt looks good from my eyes. Don't knock yourself down too hard. It will be used and enjoyed, I'm sure.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:48 AM

TO my friends. Just wanted to let you know my brother died on Saturday. Thany you all for your prayers for my family. Faye
Old 08-06-2012, 06:55 AM
Swap Hosts

Awww, Faye. I'm so sorry. May he rest in peace. At long last his suffering is over.