Boom 17 - TOPAZ

Old 09-18-2016, 09:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GramE View Post
This looks like one of those posts where I'm supposed to stare at the picture until I see the hidden item or word or number. I don't see the hidden thing.
Probably a good thing!
Old 09-18-2016, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
That's a gorgeous block Kass. I would have gone blind. Cylons... cough cough scifigeek cough cough!

I love how the better mens shirts have that tight weave and high thread count, like really good, expensive sheets. Quilts with that fab will last forever.
Says the woman that knew what cylons are!!!!!!! lol lol lol

I agree about the fabric lasting forever.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Janice McC View Post
First up is QuilterMomma's, Wyoming Beauty. I love your fabric. I'd completely made the block in an even darker grey but all I saw was the grey every time I looked at it. I took it apart and that's when I had an unfortunate incident with the rotary cutter. Anyway, by sheer luck I had just enough left over, by 1/16 of an inch, to fix my blunder. Et voila!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]558442[/ATTACH]

And here is LJDugas's. It is a variation on QC's Beacon Lights Variation.  I had trouble finding a grey I liked, too light, too dark. The light ones washed out the f8 and the darker ones overpowered it. Besides, Ljdugas asked for light grey so here's my happy medium. The grey appears considerably darker in this pic than it really is. I like that in person the grey recedes and the block comes forward.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]558443[/ATTACH]

And my my third grey block, for Libster, no longer has grey so ha! Happiness big time. I'm reworking it and it's nothing at all like it started out but it's incomplete.
Janice those are beautiful. I think you fixed them perfectly and beat the gray into submission.

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Rummage sales, late in the day (when you can stuff a bag for a dollar!), and yes Goodwill. We have two Goodwill Outlet stores locally, where they sell the clothes for $1.50 a pound. I pick through and find the nice 100% cotton shirts, then take off the buttons and cut them up. I have plenty of nice button sets from those shirts, as I do make shirts sometimes for myself and hubby.

You can find the stores in your state here:
http://www.gwoutletstorelocator.com/
Click on your state to find the outlets.

Sorry to hijack the Topaz thread, but perhaps some others are looking for nice cotton fabrics to reclaim?

I did not use any reclaimed fabrics in my Boom swap blocks.
Sewbiz Thanks for the link. I have really liked all of the "reclaimed fabric" quilts you have shared it's on my list quilts to make. I have the shirts and the jeans just not the time right now. also speaking for myself I have zero problem with a quality shirt being used in my blocks at all. If it works it works I'm not going to complain or even ask where it came from.

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
Let's see if this works
Damn these make me dizzy I think they are way cool but I'm never going to do it I get cross eyed just looking at it hahahahaha.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:48 AM

Kass, your block makes me feel like I'm back in the 60's, tripping(didn't do drugs, I was born in 62, but it is very 60's)
Old 09-18-2016, 11:51 AM

Janice both your blocks turned out very nice

kass fabulous use of stripes on your block
Old 09-18-2016, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Janice McC View Post
First up is QuilterMomma's, Wyoming Beauty. I love your fabric. I'd completely made the block in an even darker grey but all I saw was the grey every time I looked at it. I took it apart and that's when I had an unfortunate incident with the rotary cutter. Anyway, by sheer luck I had just enough left over, by 1/16 of an inch, to fix my blunder. Et voila!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]558442[/ATTACH]

And here is LJDugas's. It is a variation on QC's Beacon Lights Variation.  I had trouble finding a grey I liked, too light, too dark. The light ones washed out the f8 and the darker ones overpowered it. Besides, Ljdugas asked for light grey so here's my happy medium. The grey appears considerably darker in this pic than it really is. I like that in person the grey recedes and the block comes forward.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]558443[/ATTACH]

And my my third grey block, for Libster, no longer has grey so ha! Happiness big time. I'm reworking it and it's nothing at all like it started out but it's incomplete.
I must say I LOVE my Block. The color grey is perfect!!! Thank you so much!!!!!!
Old 09-18-2016, 01:08 PM

I got to work on my Boom 16 quilt. Found out I didnt have near enough blocks to do what I invisioned so I had to change things around...Still havent decided if I want an outter border on it or not. One thing I learned from the past booms is I need to send the SAME fabric to both groups if Im in both to have enough blocks to work with! The 2nd quilt from Boom 16 is due back to me next Saturday..YEAH..It was the blue fabric and I had used it in another boom so Had enough blocks for a good size quilt. My granddaughter got a new bedroom suite this weekend..guess what...HER quilts dont fit the new bed! I should have seen that coming! LOL
Attached Thumbnails boom-6-3.jpg   boom6-1.jpg   boom6-2.jpg  
Old 09-18-2016, 01:33 PM

Wow, I like that pop of yellow! Beautiful quilt!
Old 09-18-2016, 02:16 PM

Sewbiz, amazing recycled shirt quilt. You would never know your quilt is made with recycled shirts. . To bad they don't have a goodwill in Utah. Oh will. Love what you did.

Nice to know that some of you ladies are still learning, like me in the construction of your blocks.

Joan I love your medallion quilt. How big is your center block? Just curious?

Kass, your quilt is very creative! Works great!
Old 09-18-2016, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by joanelizbay View Post
I got to work on my Boom 16 quilt. Found out I didnt have near enough blocks to do what I invisioned so I had to change things around...Still havent decided if I want an outter border on it or not. One thing I learned from the past booms is I need to send the SAME fabric to both groups if Im in both to have enough blocks to work with! The 2nd quilt from Boom 16 is due back to me next Saturday..YEAH..It was the blue fabric and I had used it in another boom so Had enough blocks for a good size quilt. My granddaughter got a new bedroom suite this weekend..guess what...HER quilts dont fit the new bed! I should have seen that coming! LOL
Beautiful, and I spotted my block!