Boom 28 Holly

Old 09-24-2022, 07:27 AM

Working on pokeweed. Having fun improv block.
Old 09-24-2022, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by ibex94 View Post
Hav4boys those are precious! How can you get them knocked out so fast? I agonize over everything but I'm not nearly as prolific as you are. Practice makes progress! I need to start practicing more, I know. Keep the inspiration coming!
I just look at the material, get a feeling, and go with my gut. I have about 30 4.5 PP blocks that I mix and match to create different blocks. I love to papery piece but applique is a close second.

I have realized light blue is not a color I have on hand. You think with the stash I have, I would have some but will need a trip to the LQS.
Old 09-24-2022, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by terriamn View Post

Sewbiz in the link to the pictures are there separate albums per person?
The link seems to go to the page with separate pictures, even tho I tried to link to albums! The link itself even says "albums". But yes, there are separate albums. Look in the upper right sections and click where it says "24 Albums", right below the picture of Hanauma Bay.
Old 09-24-2022, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

Hav, pretty impressive that your blocks are all original!

Janice, love both blocks for Cheese...
Old 09-24-2022, 09:13 AM

I have two quilting questions....

1. Is there any good way to make flying geese without a flying geese ruler, or is it safer to just get a flying geese ruler?

2. When it comes to piecing, I'd say I'm a beginner, and I know one wants a "modern" looking block. Does anybody have a pattern or two of a modern block that isn't too complicated to make?

Thanks for your help!
Old 09-24-2022, 09:40 AM

Gotcha! Thanks.
Originally Posted by marcialee View Post
tone on tone will be ok. Just no other colors. Thank you
Old 09-24-2022, 09:42 AM

Hi there, there is flying geese paper (sew and fold on a roll) I have 2x4”, and then there is the technique to cut squares, piece the little squares on the corners on the diagonal, then cut the larger square in half, there are YouTube videos on how to do the corner squares on the angle technique (my description).

As for modern blocks, there are many simple blocks that can look modern by the fabric you choose, with graduating colors, for example. subtle graduating colors can made traditional blocks modern. Even a simple log cabin can be modernized with different thicknesses of the strips and thereby creating a different angle of movement. There is a quilting daily blog post on traditional blocks made modern. That’s a good starting point for fearless color selection, and HUGS for making these blocks!
Old 09-24-2022, 09:47 AM

LC, Re: question 1, I use the “no waste” method of making flying geese. I just made 8 yesterday and they came out very well. Here is one tutorial but you will find many others if you search it. https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/no-w...quilts-2821760. The method allows you to make 4 at a time and if you go slowly and sew accurately, you should get good results.

Unfortunately I cannot help with your second question as I’m a traditional style block lover. Maybe someone else can jump in here.
Originally Posted by LogCabin82 View Post
I have two quilting questions....

1. Is there any good way to make flying geese without a flying geese ruler, or is it safer to just get a flying geese ruler?

2. When it comes to piecing, I'd say I'm a beginner, and I know one wants a "modern" looking block. Does anybody have a pattern or two of a modern block that isn't too complicated to make?

Thanks for your help!
Old 09-24-2022, 10:30 AM

Another gorgeous quilt block Janice thank you, I.love the colors you chose to go with that fabric!

Had fabric ready to sew first thing this morning but noticed that my kitty was not feeling well. She is trained to be on a leash and goes out with me for a walk around the yard after coffee in the morning. Constant squatting led me to believe that she had a urinary tract infection. Of course it's the weekend so off to the emergency Vet hospital, she will be fine but the money I dropped today could have bought some fabulous fabric.

I'm working on a block for Marcialee and will post it later today.

Cheese
Old 09-24-2022, 02:14 PM

I paper piece geese... no surprise there.

Here is one for Marcialee. Hard to paper piece 2 color blocks with only a F8. Hope you like this one.
Attached Thumbnails fb_img_1664057516582.jpg