Boom 30 - Autumn

Old 11-07-2023, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Duckling View Post
Rebaquilts - the green really looks bad in the picture but perfectly coordinates with the center greens and reds. .
Yeah somtimes flash and lighting do strange things with photos, I do love the block. Thanks! My child's cat is also doing poorly, throwing up, urinating, and recently had a cancer scare. She has tried everything for 2 years including vet tests, medications, diet, special feeders, special litter, you name it, and is exhausted not to have answers. It's tough. Hugs!
Old 11-07-2023, 11:55 AM

Thank for the reminder, Janice McC. I am struggling with how I am using my time to finish projects. So many things in my life are due on or about the 28th. I have given myself a due date for mailing of the15th. That should help.... it will help me any way.
Old 11-07-2023, 01:53 PM

I’m deeply appreciative of those of you working so diligently toward finishing the Boom on time! It’s easy to get overcommitted, I’ve done it myself, and when due dates arrive at the same time it’s makes for anxiety rather than fun.

My cat is not doing well. He’s got asthma and severe food allergies so eating is a problem. He cannot tolerate his meds by pill so today he had a steroid shot supposedly good for 4-6 weeks. He’s down 1 pound in a week; very bad news. DH and I are taking it day to day but the vet wants to keep him going no matter what comes up. DH and I want him happy and comfortable, things he currently is not. A little more time will tell how he’s going to do.

I’m off. Have a lovely evening all.
Old 11-07-2023, 03:53 PM
Power Poster

Oh Cyrano... please get better. Hope the steroid shot gets him over the hump. One pound lost is a lot for a cat! How old is he? I'd let his age, plus his daily comfort level, tell me if he needs to be put to sleep or not yet.

Our favorite kitty ever got to be about 20 years old. Towards the end he had kidney failure and had lost a lot of weight. I think once they start losing weight, it's a telling sign that they aren't going to get better. We made the decision to put him down and are thankful for the wonderful years we had with him. He was at least half (or perhaps all) Maine Coon cat, and he had the funniest personality. He peed in the toilet! He observed us doing it and he started! Most of his life he did that. He also thought he was one of the dogs. When we were out in the woods, you'd see our little parade of dogs following us people, with Bootsie the cat last in line. He had that Maine Coon voice, which became rather raucous in his old age. I think it was because he was going deaf. He would do the funniest things, and always caught his share of mice. It was really hard to give him up, but when it's time, you know it.

Big hugs Janice, and Mr. Janice! ((((((((((hugs))))))))))

edit: Oh, and Bootsie was a black and white tuxedo cat like your Cyrano.
Old 11-07-2023, 06:32 PM

SBG, how interesting you brought up kidney disease in cats. My Siamese was just diagnosed a week ago with Stage II kidney failure. She lost two pounds in the last year, I knew something was wrong especially with how narrow her hips became. Vet told us to change her diet to a specialized moist food for cats with this problem. I have been searching the internet for any clues as to how long before the end becomes inevitable. Some sites say she may have 2 years but I doubt it by looking at her, I hope that I am wrong.

It's been a terrible week for so many of us with our precious kitties. Janice I hope your kitty's steroid injection gets him feeling better again.
Old 11-08-2023, 07:45 AM

All the kitty talk is bringing back memories of beloved kitty, Blue, she was also very special to us. She lived a long time for a cat and started losing weight but continued eating and popping and didn’t appear to be in pain. In the end I brought her to be euthanized because she was just skin and bones and had to be in pain.It was so hard, we still miss her but knew when it was time. Sending big hugs to all who are having pet problems

Ducking thank you for my nive and bright block!
Old 11-08-2023, 12:13 PM

Here are a few more blocks for Annaquilts-Selah, All2pieces-2, Cheesehead. And to lighten the load for kitty lovers, a picture of my new sewing machine lint brush!
Attached Thumbnails annaquilts-selah.jpg   all2pieces-2.jpg   cheesehead-1.jpg   sewing-machine-lint-brush.jpg  

Last edited by Duckling; 11-08-2023 at 12:16 PM. Reason: not finished with my thought.
Old 11-08-2023, 12:21 PM
Power Poster

Cheese, kidney disease is pretty common in old cats. With another cat we had, she had to be taken to the vet for fluid injections, under her skin. They would put a lot in, and let it take its time filtering through her kidneys naturally. We needed one of those every month or two. It seemed to help her somewhat, but then one day she went outside (was a house cat) and went off to find a place in the woods to die. I believe I told that story before here, and several of you said your cats did the same thing... went off alone to die.
Old 11-08-2023, 12:25 PM
Power Poster

Sharp looking blocks, Duck. And I love the kitty pawprint brush!
Old 11-08-2023, 03:38 PM

Love the block you mafde for me Duckling, thank you! Oh my gosh that lint brush is darling!

I am sitting in our hotel room in Paducah, tomorrow we plan to be back in Wisconsin. I dislike these road trips but they are what they are. I dislike hotels even more, I use my Clorox wipes almost everywhere. There is no place like home.
I did enjoy seeing the fall color while driving through Tennessee and Kentucky. Autumn is always my favorite time of year.