Boom 30 - Autumn

Old 12-28-2023, 03:46 AM

WMUTeach, isn’t it wonderful spending time with adult children? Happy you had a fine time with your son and DDIL. It’s hard to believe sometimes my sons were ever children, at least until they get together and start acting like their younger selves. I look forward to seeing your QOV. 😀

The top will go to a LA as there’s no way I’m going to attempt something this large. I still struggle quilting smaller quilts. With thousands of little pieces, I want it quilted a little dense to hold everything but not so much so that it’s stiff. I still want it to drape. I’ll have to talk to the LA’er about the best batting and quilting pattern. I need everything secure but not rigid. I’ll post a pic when it’s done which will hopefully be next month.
Old 12-28-2023, 08:02 AM

Janice, your quilt is stunning! Is it a Bonnie Hunter design? I like it so much that I may try to make one this coming year.

Terri, safe travels. It must take you over 24 hours to reach your Texas home, much farther than our 16 hour drive. I would find it quite difficult to be on the road that long too. We leave tomorrow for our trip to Alabama, we have heard it is quite cool there right now.

Bonnie, so sad to hear you had food poisoning over Christmas. Hope you are feeling much better now.

Cheese
Old 12-28-2023, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

Cheese, yes it's cool down South, but you know it never lasts!

Janice, WOW! The quilt is looking amazing! Can't wait to see it finished and quilted. You did a beautiful job.
Old 12-29-2023, 06:56 AM

SBG, we’re about to get another cool down here, supposedly dropping into the 20s at night. Brrr. I don’t mind really as our house is pretty comfy. And I have a little space heater for the sewing room which is surrounded on three sides by windows.

Cheesehead, yes, the quilt is Bonnie Hunter’s Morning Glories. I love her designs and have already decided my next BH, one she’s finishing up right now and will soon to put out the pattern. Cardinal reds and greys. Love it! I’m finished putting the MG blocks into rows. Now it gets harder to maneuver the top as it grows. I’ve enlisted DH to help at the end. Should be a complete top today or tomorrow. I’ll post a pic when it’s finished.

BTW, my old workhorse, a Kenmore, has been giving me fits so I finally broke down and started using the Juki for piecing. Why I haven’t been sewing with it exclusively is a mystery! It sees like a hot knife through butter. My goodness!
Old 12-29-2023, 08:14 AM

Janice your quilt is stunning. That is a lot of precision quilting

Driving through Oklahoma now and it’s 37 degrees here. Brrr. The only snow we have seen was in Iowa and that was just a dusting
Old 12-29-2023, 08:21 AM

Thanks, Terriamn, but close up I see a hundred flaws but I love it anyway. Have learned a lot from this one.

Be safe on your drive!
Originally Posted by terriamn View Post
Janice your quilt is stunning. That is a lot of precision quilting

Driving through Oklahoma now and it’s 37 degrees here. Brrr. The only snow we have seen was in Iowa and that was just a dusting
Old 12-29-2023, 09:38 AM
Power Poster

Safe travels, Terri! It's only 40 degrees here and it's almost noon. Can't complain tho. After an initial cold snap, we have had a very warm winter. We need some cold to kill off some of the bugs in the woods. I'll be glad when I can sit on my porch again, tho.

Janice, which Juki do you have? I use a 2010Q for all of my piecing. It can machine quilt too, just limited on throat space, but it's what I quilted on before I bought the Juki longarm. Straight stitch only, so I keep my old Bernina 830 Record set up too, for the rare times I need zig zag, like joining batting pieces. Juki makes good machines.

I'm starting to feel human again, after being so sick over Christmas. Today I might even sew!
Old 12-29-2023, 02:30 PM

SBG, glad you’re feeling better! So rough being ill around the holidays.

I have the Juki2010Q as well. I’ve done some small amount of quilting on it but piecing I’ve reserved for my old Kenmore. It’s been my go to machine for 40 years and has been a faithful friend until very recently. It’s in a marvelous cabinet in the sewing room and everything is at hand. The juki gets moved from the spare room to the dining room table when I want to use it, like now. I love how it sews but I need a dedicated work surface for it. If my Kenmore is kaput then it’s an easy decision to move it out and move the juki in but both won’t fit in there. Oh, well, first world problem. I’ll figure it out. Half the top is in place. Now to finish the other half tomorrow.
Old 12-29-2023, 05:10 PM
Power Poster

My Juki lives on my dining room table permanently. So does a lot of other sewing stuff. I commandeered the dining room for my sewing space at least 10 years ago. On the rare occasion that family will be coming for a holiday, it takes me about two days to put up all the stuff that's on that table. Not long ago, my sweet hubby put in a double outlet under the table for me, so there wouldn't be cords running across the room. LOL.
Old 12-29-2023, 06:46 PM

I am so blessed to have a dedicated room for sewing. When I moved from a house to a very small condo, the spare bedroom became my sewing haven. Before that my sewing/quilting took place where ever I could set up my machine and the fabric stash was here and there around the house. Love it all in one room. I can close the door on it, but I seldom do. It is my work space and If any one thinks it is too messy or has too many WIP, then THEY can close the door! Tee-Hee-Hee.

Weather? Only rain here in Michigan. Wish it was snow. I like snow better than mud. We had our snow and it disappeared and has not returned. It was in the 50's for a couple of days, now back to upper 30's. It should be in the teens and twenties by January. I also want to get that long string of days under freezing to keep the bugs under control too, SBG. I take great pleasure in watching the snow fill the marsh and listen to the oak trees rustle their leathery brown leaves in the breeze during the winter months. But alas, only briefly this season did we have snow.