Boom 30 - Autumn

Old 08-30-2023, 04:50 AM

SBG you are on my mind, hoping each day you are feeling a little bit better.
Old 08-30-2023, 05:13 AM

SBG how are you feeling?

SusieQ yeah on being able to sew

I love looking at all the fabric and ouing and ahhing. But usually I just reach in and grab a package then look through my books to choose a pattern that will highlight the fabric. The fabrics just keep calling my name so the blocks become a number 1 priority for me. But always so sad when they are finished.

Gorgeous Minnesota fall morning. Hope no one is in the path of this latest hurricane
Old 08-30-2023, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
Just checked the tracking on my package and it should arrive on Friday. So..... fingers crossed I can take one with me to my quilt work day on Saturday. Like I have nothing else to do: layer two quilts, put 2.5" squares to work on another project, maybe a UFO could be quilted...... you get the picture. Making new blocks from someone else's fabric and a bit of my own sounds like so much more fun!

So for all of you experienced "Boomers" do you dive in and work on them until finished, do two a week or work on the easy first and move to harder ones and how for goodness sake do you keep track of everyone's requests? I would be truly embarrassed if I messed up someone's plans by using a stunning fuchsia when they wanted soft low volume colors. Tips and cues please.
I take all the fabric and pin them to my design wall so I have a view of all the fabrics. Then I normally start with the “easier” fabric and work my way up to the more challenging fabric, usually, unless I see or have an idea that comes up. I don’t do them all at once, I spread it out because I find it more enjoyable that way. I try to follow requests but sometimes get a brain fart and forget something, but it usually comes out okay.
Old 08-30-2023, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by All2Pieces View Post
LogCabin - cute block!

Okay. Y'all can all laugh at me about this because I think it's funny. Geography is not really my friend. This is not my native state. I know my way to certain places and Google Maps gets me where I need to go. That being said, I've been trying to expand my horizons and my friends circle. My LQS told me about a quilting guild in the area called Evening Star. The guild meets on a Thursday night each month. Check Facebook for more details.

Well, I found Evening Star Quilt Guild of Alabama on Facebook. It meets the third Thursday of each month. They were active and interesting. Bingo! I joined the group and asked for directions to the meeting. Shelby County Library, social hour 6:30 p.m. Shelby County? Hmm. First clue something was not right.

I got deeper into the group and saw photos of their activities. Wonderful work! So I chatted with some of the members and asked again for an address I could plug into Google. Instead of being 40 - 60 miles from me, the group meets in the northeast corner of the state, about 3 and a half hours drive from me! So as one member said, doesn't look like I will be attending many meetings!

Oh what a chuckle! That's a funny on me! So now I am trying to contact the Evening Star Quilt Guild of DOTHAN, not Alabama.
if it makes you feel any better, I’ve lived in the same town for 41 years and I still get lost sometimes. I am very directionally challenged if I don’t have Google maps to help me along.
Old 08-30-2023, 09:50 AM

All to pieces- I need to see it on the map first before I can listen to the gps directions. I still have difficulty with right and left!
I used to rush the process and then all the blocks were done and I was sad. Now I take my time. Sometimes I get the fabric that challenges me the most done. (Modern messed up my brain a year ago!!) sometimes I will work on one because I have just the right colors to play with. And sometimes I just want to make a certain pattern. I now take it slow. I have most of other projects done or pushed to the side. And I spend hours looking at patterns and ideas.
praying everyone is safe with this hurricane. It took many by surprise.
Old 08-30-2023, 01:09 PM
Power Poster

Oh thank you all for thinking of me. I've been having less pain every day. Still on the pain meds, but stretching them out longer and longer between dosages. Tomorrow I should get the drains taken out *yay* and maybe stitches, or maybe a bit longer for them. I'll know the pathology report too and will be doing the happy dance if I don't need any more radiation.

Almost felt like sewing today. Almost. I'm walking to the mailbox each day, 1100 feet both ways. Will be sewing soon!

Love seeing everyone so excited about getting their blocks going. What I do to keep mine straight is to take them out of the bags just one at a time . No mixups. Then I read the note a couple of times before selecting fabrics and a block to make. Remember the only "instructions" that count are the ones that come with the F8s.

Congrats on getting back to your sewing machine, SuzieQ! I'll be right behind you.

Hope all fare well with this storm. We sure could have used some of it's rain! We are still in a severe drought. Hope nobody flooded or blew away!
Old 08-30-2023, 04:59 PM

Thank you all for your tips and cues. I am glad to know I am only responsible for the message in the bags. I was wondering how I would keep all of those wandering requests met. There is so much to know when you start a new group or project. Y'all have been so helpful. Thanks.

I just accepted a new project this afternoon for an OLD friend who's quilter mother passed away recently. I was given an unfinished and partially pieced QUEEN size Cleopatra's Fan quilt top to finish. After reading through the pattern, closely, very closely, I discovered that pattern came with acrylic templates. Texted the daughter who commented "I forgot to bring those". Duh! Silly girl. I also found a video with the pattern and template designer! Yea!!! Watch out boomers, If I can get this pattern down, you to may get a Cleopatra's Fan Block.

Here it is in Kansas Troubles Fabric! Yummy
Attached Thumbnails kansas_trouble_cleopatra_1024x1024%402x.jpg  
Old 08-30-2023, 05:22 PM
Power Poster

I usually sort by the ones I know what I want to make to the top, then I add patterns and fabrics. Once I have 10 or so stacked up I get working on them. Over time I also check on the blocks others made, checking on colors and styles. Often I add applique blocks if they do not have any yet. I always read the notes included and hope I understand what they want. I do have a buddy in the group that I sometimes run things by.
Old 08-31-2023, 03:34 AM

WMUTeach, that is such a beautiful quilt!

Cheese
Old 08-31-2023, 04:28 AM

My Boom schedule is oooh and aaah over the fabric and read the notes the first week and then jump in by the weekend. Usually the fabric speaks to me and I know what block I want to make right off the bat. Others I have to look through my books, magazines and the internet. I try to pull complimentary fabrics I have in my stash to match with the fat 8ths, then I know what I need to shop for.

sewbiz, I hope pain gets under control soon, hugs to you.

hope my fabric does not come on the weekend, as I will not be home.