Boom 30 - Autumn

Old 08-29-2023, 07:43 AM

Okay Janice, I think I resized my froggy block correctly but let me know….

Old 08-29-2023, 12:29 PM

I started my blocks! Woo hoo! Have been having fun going through them all and trying to decide on patterns. I've picked out a few to get started but I need to go to the LQS to buy a few fabrics that match some of your F8s better than what I've got. Oh, the sacrifice.

Logcabin, you're getting the hang of it! This pic is 16.6 kb, pretty small, hence the fuzziness. If you go back to your original, and shrink it, just not as much, maybe to 100 to 200 kb, you'll get more clarity in the photo. But this will do if you don't mind the fuzziness. Remember, it's trial and error to see what you like and what size works best for you.
Originally Posted by LogCabin82 View Post
Okay Janice, I think I resized my froggy block correctly but let me know….

Last edited by Janice McC; 08-29-2023 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-29-2023, 02:50 PM

Thanks Janice! You rock!! Hugs!!
Old 08-29-2023, 02:58 PM

Wow! I've finally caught up to the chat. So much stuff going on. Thankfully I get the day's messages sent to my phone and can read them whenever.

SewBizGirl - Prayers, hugs, all the good thoughts and good things to you and your care team. Take your drugs as directed and stay ahead of the pain!
Janice - Thanks for staying on top of everything. I am so looking forward to playing with the baggies.

To all those affected by the incoming storms - please stay safe! Stock up on water, etc., and be prepared for the worst. You are in my prayers also. Evacuate ahead of the storm, and be aware of the aftermath.

Old 08-29-2023, 03:11 PM

Praying for everyone in hurricane path, and on the eastern shore.
Janice, you get the privilege of playing first! I am biting the bit! Have patterns printed out, books ordered from library, and looking forward to trips to LQS!!
Old 08-29-2023, 03:43 PM

LogCabin - cute block!

Okay. Y'all can all laugh at me about this because I think it's funny. Geography is not really my friend. This is not my native state. I know my way to certain places and Google Maps gets me where I need to go. That being said, I've been trying to expand my horizons and my friends circle. My LQS told me about a quilting guild in the area called Evening Star. The guild meets on a Thursday night each month. Check Facebook for more details.

Well, I found Evening Star Quilt Guild of Alabama on Facebook. It meets the third Thursday of each month. They were active and interesting. Bingo! I joined the group and asked for directions to the meeting. Shelby County Library, social hour 6:30 p.m. Shelby County? Hmm. First clue something was not right.

I got deeper into the group and saw photos of their activities. Wonderful work! So I chatted with some of the members and asked again for an address I could plug into Google. Instead of being 40 - 60 miles from me, the group meets in the northeast corner of the state, about 3 and a half hours drive from me! So as one member said, doesn't look like I will be attending many meetings!

Oh what a chuckle! That's a funny on me! So now I am trying to contact the Evening Star Quilt Guild of DOTHAN, not Alabama.
Old 08-29-2023, 04:34 PM

Just checked the tracking on my package and it should arrive on Friday. So..... fingers crossed I can take one with me to my quilt work day on Saturday. Like I have nothing else to do: layer two quilts, put 2.5" squares to work on another project, maybe a UFO could be quilted...... you get the picture. Making new blocks from someone else's fabric and a bit of my own sounds like so much more fun!

So for all of you experienced "Boomers" do you dive in and work on them until finished, do two a week or work on the easy first and move to harder ones and how for goodness sake do you keep track of everyone's requests? I would be truly embarrassed if I messed up someone's plans by using a stunning fuchsia when they wanted soft low volume colors. Tips and cues please.
Old 08-29-2023, 05:13 PM

Hi WMUTeach! Glad to have you here.

"So for all of you experienced "Boomers" do you dive in and work on them until finished, do two a week or work on the easy first and move to harder ones and how for goodness sake do you keep track of everyone's requests? "

I cannot work straight through all 19 requests. I like to look at all the fabrics and notes from the senders and then "let the fabric speak to me". *LOL* Sometimes I have an idea in my head already, sometimes I don't. Most times I have something to match or work with in my stash. If not, I get to shop! Sometimes I can use the same block pattern for multiple fabrics, so I do two or three at one session.

Do what makes you comfortable. You can usually search this thread for the sender's first few posts to see what they want. Or just ask them to state it again. You can be as simple or creative as you want. Don't get intimidated. Look in the photo album for ideas. We have about 3 months to return the finished blocks to Janice.

I look forward to your blocks. Cheers!
Old 08-29-2023, 05:57 PM
Power Poster

WMUTeach- This is only my second boom and I can't wait to start again! Everyone has their fabric in a little bag and it's labeled so you won't mix them up. I worked on mine sporadically. Whenever a fabric called out to me I got going. No rhyme or reason really.

Boomers- today I actually sewed a little for the first time since July 17th!!! ( I had a knee replaced). I wasn't sewing for long as I still can't but it sure felt good!!!!!!!! My PT told me today that I'm "way ahead of schedule"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-30-2023, 02:18 AM

Morning, Boomers. Just checked a few packages and they’re on the move. Yay!

SusieQ, I’m glad you had a good time sewing again! Take it easy and don’t overdo! You’ve got months to complete the blocks.

WMUTeach, I usually take one block at a time. Yesterday I selected Libster’s f8 bc I had the perfect (I hope!) fabric to go with it. I knew just what I wanted to make so I started. Other F8s I’ll need to mull a bit. Remember that the color requests are “requests” and there will be variations between one person’s idea of the request and the next. If in doubt, you can pm the owner. But I encourage you not to stress about it and do what feels right to you. And also, block choice is the maker’s. I’ll probably do one or two a week of all goes well for me.

To those near the storm, my thoughts are with you! Stay safe.

Hope you are feeling a bit better, SBG.

I’m off in a few minutes for an MRI. Maybe a pinched nerve causing some leg pain. No problem to have the test but did it need to be so early??? It’ll still be dark when I leave and I’ve got to head into South Asheville. Sheesh.