Boom 30 - Autumn

Old 10-07-2023, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

Terri, what wonderful news about your daughter!!!

Brr! We just started some cold weather but honestly, I love it. Just wish it was more gradual!

Baseball playoffs will dominate my weekend. My Yankees aren't in so we're going with Baltimore. I like the Dodgers too. But bottom line is I enjoy a good game and the Yankees had a terrible year.

I made a Christmas table runner for my son and his family but spent last night ripping out all the fmq. It looked awful and the runner is too cute to ruin it. I guess I'll get out my walking foot.
I have so much trouble with fmq.

Last edited by SusieQOH; 10-07-2023 at 06:00 AM.
Old 10-07-2023, 07:43 AM

SusieQOH, I feel your pain with free motion quilting. I just cannot seem to get the hang of it. Please post a pic of your project when it’s done.

Just back from our 5k. Good heavens, the wind was gusting to 35mph. It was rough walking into the wind. Below is a pic of our scenery during the walk. It was on Asheville Airport, adjacent to the runway. This is our second year. Love it.

Attached Thumbnails img_4562.jpeg  
Old 10-07-2023, 08:57 AM
Power Poster

Janice, that's great about the 5K - good for you!
I am so frustrated with FMQ. I bought a high end Bernina with the stitch regulator. I also have a Juki which is also good for FMQ but mine looks just plain awful no matter what I do. I was always a hand quilter. IDK why I can't get the hang of this. I have had success when I trace a pattern pretty well but when it comes to meandering etc I am not good. I've spent a lot on rulers, machines, etc but ugh!
I'll show the runner when finished- it's adorable and like I said I didn't want to ruin it with ugly stitches lol.
Old 10-07-2023, 10:34 AM
Power Poster

For free motion quilting, try doing nothing but changing the foot to a darning foot and put on some machinger gloves that are kind of small. I have bigger hands and wear S. Put the needle down and bring up the bottom thread, hang on to the thread tails and off you go. Deep breath and relax. I no longer drop the bottom thingy or adjust the tension. I use aurifil 40 top and bottom. For years I quilted up to Cal King size on my sit down machine before I bought a long arm.
Old 10-07-2023, 10:38 AM
Power Poster

I am almost half way done with the blocks. The other ones are partially done. 18 +18 = 36 blocks. That would make one big quilt.
Old 10-07-2023, 04:23 PM
Power Poster

Yay for the 5K, Janice! Too bad it was so windy.

Susie, you only need practice to get better. Make some practice sandwiches with some old, or ugly fabric... about the size of a placemat. Then sew the heck out of it. I still keep some around to practice when I'm going to try something new. Also, try to fmq a little every day. Ten minutes daily will give you more success than two hours once a week! You need to keep your hands busy doing the fmq.
One of my favorite teachers is Angela Walters. She has many Youtube videos you can watch and then take off trying out what she showed you on one of your practice sandwiches. She's a great teacher and inspires a lot of confidence.
Old 10-07-2023, 06:14 PM

Well from sun to chill and rain, I finished these blocks this week. Hope you gals like them.
Attached Thumbnails 20231005_144150.jpg   lstew.jpg   susieq.jpg  
Old 10-07-2023, 07:26 PM
Power Poster

those are all gorgeous duckling. I in particular like the one on the right.
Old 10-08-2023, 04:24 AM

Duckling, the blocks you made are beautiful! Love how you got two fancy cut designs from Susie's fabric.

Cheese
Old 10-08-2023, 05:45 AM
Power Poster

Duckling, Bravo!!! Beautiful blocks and I love what you did with my fabric. Gorgeous!

SB and Anna- I do everything you suggested EXCEPT I don't practice enough. I was telling someone that I can't draw to save my life and meandering is sort of like drawing only with thread. SB- I like your idea of practice 10 minutes a day and will try for that. I can leave one machine for that and use the other one for piecing. I send big quilts to a longarmer in Kansas who I love but would really like to do some of my own because believe it or not I enjoy it. But my practice pieces always look better than when I start something real. Sigh....... I love Angela Walters too. Watch her all the time.
Thanks, all, for the suggestions. I'm determined to get this!