Boom 30 - Autumn

Old 10-08-2023, 06:59 AM

Thank you Ducking for my block. Love the balls and batters!
second day outside Washington DC on Soccer fields. Windy, cold, and rainy yesterday but clear sky’s today. I didn’t bring warm enough clothes. Two games yesterday and two today with our 9yr old granddaughter. There are 24 fields here that can play up to 3 games each at a time. One of largest girls tournaments in country. Absolutely amazing to see all the talented girls.
I am currently in car warming up!
Old 10-08-2023, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by terriamn View Post
I have fabulous news to share. My oldest daughter had her second eye surgery yesterday. Today the tech took off her bandage and she burst into tears. exclaiming it was the first time she could see out of that eye since February, it was still very blurry but she could see. Doctor said everything looked good and by Sunday she should be able to see clearly. There is no horrible recovery process like she had for the first surgery of the detached retina. She just has to take life slow and easy to let eye totally heal
That is wonderful news, Terri. So glad to hear this.
Old 10-08-2023, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Duckling View Post
Well from sun to chill and rain, I finished these blocks this week. Hope you gals like them.
Love my block in the middle. It is Perfect for my vision. Thank you Duckling.
Old 10-08-2023, 10:23 AM

I made two blocks today. The one for Janice is called Shadow Cross. The one for Hav4boys is called Plaid check.

Attached Thumbnails janicemc.jpg   have4boys3.jpg  
Old 10-08-2023, 04:23 PM

Free motion challenges.............I have mine to. I have discovered four quilting "methods" that I use often when I just can't send a quilt to the long armer or I just don't want to spend the money for a donation quilt.

1. Diagonal quilting
2. Cross hatching
3. Channel quilting (My channels use the width of the sewing machine foot. Not the wee, tiny match stick I have been seeing online.
4. This last choice is vertical stitching from top to bottom, but it curves as I sew, and may span a space of 2 inches. It is not the serpentine stitch found built in to a machine but a variation of free motion. I use it a lot with baby quilts particularly those where I might want just a bit more stitching to hold everything together but not so dense that the quilt is stiff. I'll look for a piece with that style of quilting or make a sandwich and take a photo. It is easy and rather quick. I guess it reminds me to some degree of wood grain in perhaps pine boards. Kind of, just kind of.

I can get away with one of my four choices for most quilts and then have my long arm friend do my larger or gift quilts. I still work on free motion from time to time.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 10-08-2023 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-08-2023, 05:50 PM

Thank you for my new block! I love it and it should be a fine addition to the others. 😀
Originally Posted by Lstew2212 View Post
I made two blocks today. The one for Janice is called Shadow Cross. The one for Hav4boys is called Plaid check.
Old 10-08-2023, 07:33 PM
Power Poster

Great blocks, Lstew and duckling! Lots of thought went into those.
Old 10-08-2023, 08:04 PM

It has been an extremely exhausting week for me and my mom. My dad has late stage Parkinson’s disease and he’s requiring more and more help. We have to monitor his meds because he forgets to take them and when he misses a dose he requires much more hands on care. I’ve been trying to get him to walk a little every day because he has grown weak from sitting so much and he’s bent real forward when he walks. I don’t mind taking care of my dad, but I feel like I’m a nurse 24/7 now, instead of just at work. I’m trying to encourage him as much as possible to walk, because if he ends up in a wheelchair I don’t think mom and I will be able to care for him. I’ve already hurt my back supporting his weight and balance when he walks, so I have a nice big heating pad on right now. My mom doesn’t have the skill set to do nurse care like I do, so this is all very stressful for her and overwhelming, It’s been a very rough week and won’t be getting any easier.
Old 10-09-2023, 01:35 AM

LogCabin, massive hugs. Wishing you and your family strength for the path you’re all on. More (((hugs))).
Old 10-09-2023, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

Logcabin- I feel for you. How about enlisting some home health care for Dad? Sounds like he could use it and it would be a huge help to you and Mom.