Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Children's Doll Quilt Swap - Signup Closed >

Children's Doll Quilt Swap - Signup Closed

Children's Doll Quilt Swap - Signup Closed

Old 10-24-2009, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

I had issues with teens wanting to carry the wee one around, she was always tiny, and being the baby she liked the attention, she is growing now, aall three of the kids are small for their ages, though K-M finally hit a decent growth spurt this summer.

She is doing great!
Old 10-24-2009, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cutebuns
I had issues with teens wanting to carry the wee one around, she was always tiny, and being the baby she liked the attention, she is growing now, aall three of the kids are small for their ages, though K-M finally hit a decent growth spurt this summer.

She is doing great!
They did bone scans when they first diagnosed her and said her bones are aging for her age but she is not growing. So she will never have a growth spurt without the growth hormones. We said she would as I was tiny and Sara was tiny but Sara and Ben have a dormant gene that resulted in the RSS in Rachel. So no growth spurts. She did not grow at all for 2 years. Then they started the shots and she grew a 1/2" in 6 mos. She takes a shot every night before bed. She was not wanting to do the shots so Sara quit and she quit growing again. So Rachel asked to go back on the shots and she has grown another 2" over the last year.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

Rachel's issues were she was 6 yrs old but she looked like a 3 yr old. Complete strangers would come up and chuch her under the chin and cooed how cute she was. She would get so mad that she wasn't a baby!!

So things like this Doll Quilt Swap is so good for her self esteem.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

Especially DH's side of the family is just short, ther are several that are under 5 feet. My side has a bit more height but then again Nana is only 5 feet. There is hope yet for the kids. All my BIL's families have people over 6 feet so their kids are way bigger than mine. Okay, a fair amount of the neices and nephews are already taller than me.

I hope that they continue to help and she is happy with how big she gets.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

My little sister was like that though she was also the baby of the family and just soaked up some of the attention, the kindergarden teacher used to let her sit on her desk, S didn't have to do any work as the primary pencils were to big for her hand, the teacher did up her coat and shoes for her. She started Kindergarden in undershirts that still had the diaper tabs in them, Mom had to carefully take them off and make sure there was no sign of them before letting her wear them so the kids would tease her. She was born small and didn't grow well until she was about 16, where she caught up. As a baby (befor they had preemie clothes) (she was full term) they would pick her up and the diaper would fall off, the undershirt was past her feet, Mom after nursing 4 of us, had to change as she would loose S while trying to do so.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

The Dr says even with the shots the most she can hope for is 4' 6". When Sara first found this out and was upset I said at least it isn't leukemia or something worse. But there are medical issues that go along with RSS. If she gets sick and loses any weight she will lose muscle because she doesn't have any fat to lose. It is extremely hard to get her to eat. She will only eat certain foods and you can't just wait for her to get hungry because she will have low blood sugar and have diabetic type issues. Her idea of eating is usually 2 or 3 chicken nuggets and 1/4 c of strawberries or mandarin oranges. No vegetable except french fries and potatoes. Keeping her weight on an even keel is a process of making sure she eats something every two or three hours. She has hypoglycemia.(I had to ask Rachel what it was called because I couldn't think of it!! LOL)
Old 10-24-2009, 09:40 AM
Power Poster

It is hard to watch our kids grow up and what they have to deal with along the way, her best thing is to make sure that she is prepared to face the trials of being that height, and make sure that she knows the advantages of being her size, and to be proud no matter what, Very few people are happy with the way that they look. At work some of the guys got upset when I would ask them to get something off of a high place instead of going for a ladder or step stool, which I could have, but when it came time to getting stuff out of small mouth jars where their big hands didn't fit, they looked at me with my small hands and asked for help, after that they didn't complain so often, it was easier to reach for me than try and get stuff out of the jars. She will adapt, self esteem is huge.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

CollettaKay Rachel worked on her quilt over the weekend. I hope to have it done when she comes in a couple of weeks again. I wish I could show what she has gotten done but have to keep it secret!! LOL :D :D :D

What is your daughter's name? Rachel wanted to know and I hadn't asked yet.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:17 PM

Here is Sophia, working on Youme's daughter's quilt. This is for you Fu!!!

Attached Thumbnails attachment-6919.jpe   attachment-6927.jpe   attachment-6928.jpe  
Old 11-07-2009, 08:28 AM

I've been watching the kids doll quilt pictures with bated breath. Can hardly wait to see the end results for each of the pairings. Keep the progress reports and pictures coming please. :)