Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Children's Doll Quilt Swap - Signup Closed >

Children's Doll Quilt Swap - Signup Closed

Children's Doll Quilt Swap - Signup Closed

Old 11-07-2009, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

I'm afraid we will be down to the wire time wise on this one. I don't have Joey until the 20th and Rachel until the 27th but they will be in the mail by the 30th. Sorry to drag this out but I only have them usually one weekend a month. We are half way done tho.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:54 AM

We also will be cutting it a bit fine. We have had such a busy time and Alannah is on a scout camp next weekend, so we will finish the quilt on the weekend on the 21 & 22 November and post it on the Monday. I would like to give ours a few extra days to get to the US.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:12 AM

Sounds like everyone is a bit slow on this one. There's lots going on with kids, school and the like, so hopefully we will all be able to make the deadlines. Just communicate with your partner if it looks like you might be running late - these are kids and we all understand things like 'short attention spans' etc.

so, just have fun with it. I hope some more photos get posted soon!

Sophia still has a ways to go on hers, but I think we'll be able to spend some time on it this week, or possibly during Thanksgiving week break. She's out the third week at her "outdoor education" where she goes away for an entire school week to a camp! She's really excited to go, and we are excited for her. Seems like a fun opportunity!
Old 11-08-2009, 09:58 AM

MY SON BRANDAN IS WORKING ON A RECYCLING PROJECT WITH TO OTHER BOYS. I SURE LEARNED TO STAY OUT OF IT FROM ANOTHER MOM WHO DIDN'T. WE NEED TO LET THEM DO THERE OWN PROJECTS AND HELP WHEN ASKED TO DO SO. I FORGOT TO TAKE THE CAP LOCK OF.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:31 AM
Power Poster

With Rachel I asked her what her ideas were but what she wanted wasn't practical for a beginner. It involved applique. So I made some suggestions and let her look through some designs and she chose what she wanted. Then I let her chose her fabric colors and the fabric. I did hand on hand at first with her on the rotary cutter. She had a hard time pushing hard enough to cut. After a little bit tho she got the feel for it.

I only guided her but she did the work. We tried her running the machine with her guiding the fabric and using my knee control. She didn't like doing both so we ended up (her decision not mine) that I guided the fabric and she ran the knee control. She did an excellent job and caught on quick.
She is really pleased with the way it looks so far. We just have to cut and add borders and back it. I do mine like a pillowcase with out any binding so that is what I plan to have her do. I thought I would see if she wants to tie it instead of trying to quilt it down. We'll see.....

Her favorite part was using the "needles" her word for the pins!!LOL I finally got her to remember they were pins by the time she was done!

I hope to have them done on time. It wil depend on how much time we have when they are here.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:34 AM
Power Poster

The thing I like about this swap the most is these kids will remember sewing with Grandma or Mom or whoever is helping them here!! Great memories in the making!
Old 11-08-2009, 11:05 AM

There are so many great lessons from a project like this for our kids: family time, accomplishment, confidence, new friends, doing for others, etc. etc. I love that our kids want to do something for someone else, and something that comes from the heart!! Now, if we can just keep them focused!
Old 11-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Esqmommy
There are so many great lessons from a project like this for our kids: family time, accomplishment, confidence, new friends, doing for others, etc. etc. I love that our kids want to do something for someone else, and something that comes from the heart!! Now, if we can just keep them focused!
LOL I had a hard time explaining the idea of a swap to them. They just didn't understand it at first. So this is a first for them! I also had the twins at the time and they each had to do a piece. They may be able to do it if you do another one later on. Daymon has a strong need for approval and I told him he was the best yet at working the sewing machine. It was true. He may be my sewing buddy!! I love seeing his grin when you tell him he did something well.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Esqmommy
Now, if we can just keep them focused!
Ain't that the truth! I am second guessing this whole, Mackenzie sewing and quilting thing lol we will end up with so many WIPs Dad and the boys will have to find someplace else to live! lol

No really she is about 99.999% done.

How is everyone else doing?

(Hopefully I can get some pictures uploaded tonight!)
Old 11-23-2009, 06:30 AM

Stephen has planned several different quilts so far, but hasn't really committed to any. I gave him Thanksgiving break to finally get it finished and mailed. I think he is afraid of the sewing machine going over his fingers. Tonight he has to choose fabric. Tomorrow he will need to start pinning. It should be great, but keeping him focused has been a challenge. Gwyn