Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Children's Doll Quilt Swap - Signup Closed >

Children's Doll Quilt Swap - Signup Closed

Children's Doll Quilt Swap - Signup Closed

Old 10-19-2009, 04:10 PM

Son finshed his first quilt last week, and he is full of drive for making another one. I would like to switch to the newer one if it turned out more decent than the first one he had made.LOL
DD is still working on hers with some Japanese letters on it, hope her partner would love it.

panda
Old 10-19-2009, 04:29 PM

We have been a bit slow over here. I've been working on other things trying to get caught up, so Sophia has not had access to the sewing room! I hope to get caught up this week or next...fortunately we have some time!

As soon as she starts sewing again, I'll post some photos.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:01 AM

I hear ya, now that I don't feel good I have to do something to keep me busy or I will fall asleep. Not good being home alone with a five year old, two year old, and a four month old. So I have been sewing and Kenzie hasn't had much time to get to the machine! I did tell her she could work on it last night, but she fell alseep RIGHT after dinner! lol Maybe we will try again tonight.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:12 PM
Power Poster

Here is a picture of my granddaughter Rachel working on the sewing machine. She is 7 and is having a good time learning to pin two pieces of fabric together and how to use the rotary cutter. She has just cut out a square with a template and rotary cutter. She cut about half of the sides by herself.She just has to learn to put more pressure on the blade. We cut out 3 so far and she has really stayed with it better than I thought she would. As long as she is having fun! She told me earlier that when she is here she knows alot about fabric! LOL

She was making faces when I took the pic.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-27606.jpe  
Old 10-24-2009, 01:44 AM
k3n
Power Poster

What a cutie! :D and I LOVE the sewing machine!

I had a Singer with a handle, that was my Grandmother's and I learned to sew on it. It would have been great for Joey. I don't have it anymore. Long story, not for here. :cry:
Old 10-24-2009, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

Thanks K it is a 1950's repro of an 1850's machine. I bought it at a yard sale when Sara was about 7 or 8 (her DD Rachel's age now!) for $25. That's 27 yrs ago and I use it pretty much every day. It does have it's indiosyncrosies and it drives me nuts sometimes but I would have a hard time sewing on anything else. It had a knee pedal instead of a foot pedal.

I have 2 other more regular machines and I asked Rachel if she wanted to use a foot pedal or the knee pedal and she chose the knee. But she is so small that it is more comfortable for her to use her hand to control the pedal than her knee. She has a hard time controlling the speed tho so we ended up doing it my hand on hers. Otherwise she gets it going way to fast and the material spins under the needle!! LOL She sews with one hand on the fabric and one hand under the machine on the handle of the knee pedal. I was impressed it only took her about a half hour to get the hang of cutting with a template and rotary cutter. We did some hand on hand because she wasn't putting enough pressure on the blade but she asked to do it by herself and she got the technique pretty quickly. I figured she wouldn't be able to keep the blade close to the template because when she cut out some strips she was all over the place with the blade but I only did about 3 or 4 cuts with her hand on hand in cutting out with the template and then she was doing it by herself. I think that is pretty good for someone who has never done any sewing of any kind! Course I'm not proud of her!! LOL
Old 10-24-2009, 07:12 AM
Power Poster

What a darling picture Rhonda she is a doll!!
Old 10-24-2009, 07:45 AM

How cute she is Rhonda!! Good to see her so happy about this.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

Thanks Ninnie She thinks so too!! LOL LOL She has been told all her life how cute and pretty she is. She has Russel Silvers Syndrome which is a growth disorder which is related to dwarfism. So she is 7 1/2 but the size of a 5 yr old. So she has struggled with feeling differant from everyone and has gone from crying to mom Why did God make me this way to now she says my friends will help me when I can't do something. So this has given her a good sense of self worth. She takes hormone shots to help her grow as there are some not so terrific side effects if she doesn't catch up some. Like early puberty which will stop her growth so they are trying to help her catch up as some kids with RSS have gone into puberty as early as 8 yrs old. She is a very very strong self possessed little girl!! A bit bossy!!( just like her mamma was!) Her biggest problem is because she is so tiny and cute people want to pick her up and cuddle her and she is not a baby anymore and resents that attention. She is just now starting to get a couple more inches in height which has helped.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

She had a blast! I kept asking if she wanted a break and she kept wanting to keep going! Now the twins weren't here when we did this part and they are here now so how well I can get her to take time to sew instead of play we shall see!