Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Fall 2017 I Spy Charm Swap >

Fall 2017 I Spy Charm Swap

Fall 2017 I Spy Charm Swap

Old 12-06-2017, 02:30 PM

Maybe we lefties can start our own little section here on QB, lol. MaryMo needle tatting is what I learned, shuttle tatting looks very hard.

Got my package today...great fabrics everyone thank you. And thank you too Rena for your hard work.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:00 PM

Got my package of goodies yesterday! Woo hoo! Already making plans for some of them. Thanks for hosting, Rena, and glad you liked the little gifty!
Old 12-06-2017, 04:54 PM

You are welcome - I enjoy hosting. The dr ended doing just one nerve block and it seems to have helped with the headaches. Now on to Christmas - my SF kids will be arriving Friday and early Christmas with the other 2 joining on Sat. Now to get things finished up.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:37 PM

Got my package today. Took a look and there are some nice new squares this time. Thanks, Rena, for all the work.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:35 PM

I received my package today. I was much impressed with some beautiful fabrics!!! I commend the swappers who followed the rules and thank you for the variety of beautiful prints. But I will not be participating again for these reasons:
(1) Out of 18 packages I received 3 sets of duplicates (6 packages). This is acceptable since I was the last package to arrive at our host. AND I can always use duplicates in quilts. This I can live with.
(2) Four of the packages had no board name attached to them. It is always helpful to know with whom I am swapping. AND it is part of the rules of this swap.
(3) One package had 2 sets of duplicate fabrics, that is 8 different fabrics.
(4) One package had 5 fabrics that included part of the selvage, one just shy of one half inch of selvage. That 5” square will useful as planned.
(5) One fabric was so thin that it will not be useful in any quilt project.

As I was thinking about this I took a look at the squares I sent out - my extras, my rejects and extra fabrics– and judged them as I judged the ones I received. I asked myself if I sent out as good as or better than I received. I let you provide input on this.

I was pleased that I received many excellent packages with perfect squares. It was those few squares in those few packages that made me conclude not to participate again. I noticed that there was little discussion about fabrics received and it made me wonder if there are others who felt similar disappointments.

I do want to thank our host for making this swap happen and kudos to the majority of swappers who sent superb fabrics. Because of you I will have a couple of I Spy quilts with a new variety of fabrics. Thank you!

Last edited by MaryMo; 12-07-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:10 PM

Great swap everyone, love the squares. Now if I can just make some time to make my first I Spy Quilt...lol.

Thank you Rena for all you do, much appreciated. Take care, Merry Christmas!
Old 12-08-2017, 07:49 PM

Overall I'm really happy with all the fabrics! As I go through them I put any matching squares aside for matching game quilts, and any really similar (but slightly different) in another set in case I'm ever in the position of making a set of quilts for twins (so they are similar, but not the same).

This is the first time I've noticed the selvedge issue. I did have one fabric (of which I received 4 squares, each in a different package) where none of the selvedge had been trimmed out. There were also two squares that should have been fussy cut, as there wasn't a complete animal on either square (the animals were small enough, just not cut carefully). 5 squares out of 320 isn't too bad (I did 4 sets of 8), but I'd never had selvedge in my packages before (I have had one block that had the "no complete animal" issue before).

But, again, overall I am really happy with what I received, and I can even make use of the "off" squares. There were a lot of new ones this round, and I'm excited to participate again! I'll probably start cutting some squares before the end of the month...
Old 12-08-2017, 07:50 PM

Oh, and I got several "extra adorable, I want to keep these!" squares that I set aside for an eventual quilt for myself. Someone posted a king sized I-spy quilt in a previous thread, and I just loved it. I want to make one so if I ever have grandchildren, it would make a great fort-building quilt. And, if not, I'm sure I could find some kids who needed a large fort-making quilt
Old 12-10-2017, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by MaryMo View Post
I received my package today. I was much impressed with some beautiful fabrics!!! I commend the swappers who followed the rules and thank you for the variety of beautiful prints. But I will not be participating again for these reasons:
(1) Out of 18 packages I received 3 sets of duplicates (6 packages). This is acceptable since I was the last package to arrive at our host. AND I can always use duplicates in quilts. This I can live with.
(2) Four of the packages had no board name attached to them. It is always helpful to know with whom I am swapping. AND it is part of the rules of this swap.
(3) One package had 2 sets of duplicate fabrics, that is 8 different fabrics.
(4) One package had 5 fabrics that included part of the selvage, one just shy of one half inch of selvage. That 5” square will useful as planned.
(5) One fabric was so thin that it will not be useful in any quilt project.

As I was thinking about this I took a look at the squares I sent out - my extras, my rejects and extra fabrics– and judged them as I judged the ones I received. I asked myself if I sent out as good as or better than I received. I let you provide input on this.

I was pleased that I received many excellent packages with perfect squares. It was those few squares in those few packages that made me conclude not to participate again. I noticed that there was little discussion about fabrics received and it made me wonder if there are others who felt similar disappointments.

I do want to thank our host for making this swap happen and kudos to the majority of swappers who sent superb fabrics. Because of you I will have a couple of I Spy quilts with a new variety of fabrics. Thank you!

There is just so much the host can say. I haven't read this in a while, but it restricts many things that the host can do.
Rules For Swaps And Similar Activities - Updated 8 December 2010

This happens with all swap groups, even those that do not have the restrictions that QB has. I hosted a swap a few months ago on another forum and I ended up keeping 5 bags, as they were not cut correctly. They were off at least 1/4 inch. Fortunately, they were 6.5 inch squares and the fabric was ok, so I'll cut them down to 5" and swap them or use them in my own quilts.

I'm sorry it didn't work out well for you.

I hope you decide that the good outweighs the bad.

bkay
Old 12-11-2017, 02:29 PM

I am sorry I didn't catch the selvedge issue. I did go through one or more bags from every swapper - I did catch one issue with images being so large they were difficult to fussy cut - I swapped out some squares from my stash for some of those. As far as names, we had a couple of new swappers and their bags were not labeled - I didn't have it in me to label all of them, but didn't feel it was fair to return them unswapped, even though that is in the rules. With Christmas sewing being on people's minds, we had less swappers this time than in a few times past, and duplicates happened. As far as fabrics being repeated in the same baggie, it should not have happened and I just happened to not pick that bag to go through. There were a total, I think, of 230 baggies - so policing each baggie is beyond my capabilities - but if each of you will let me know privately how many fabrics had selvege problems and who the baggies was from, I can deal with it privately and send you some replacement fabrics.

Overall, I hope most swappers experience was positive - sometimes we have growing and learning pains - hope this swap was the exception and not the rule.

Again, thank you to all for swapping.