Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
June Secret Pal Sign Up Closes May 30th at Noon >

June Secret Pal Sign Up Closes May 30th at Noon

June Secret Pal Sign Up Closes May 30th at Noon

Old 06-04-2012, 07:31 PM

I googled Beach plums....very interesting. I would like to try Beach Plum jam. I get wonderful honey from my GF's hives...when she has it harvested, she usually sends me a gallon.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:45 AM

I've never had anything but clover honey from the east, Hawaiian honey...hmmmm or should I say ymmmm? When I think of Hawaii I think of kona coffee and macadamias and japanese tea and pastries. I went to high tea at the Verandah (not sure name is right), a big hotel where all the brides come to take their picture. Ever been there?
Old 06-05-2012, 03:42 AM

Krystyna you have finally lost it! BOOM? I can't help to stop laughing! You all make my mornings when it is a difficult day at work. My SP box is ready to go but I don'th ave a chance to mail it right now. It will go out this week I promise! It is going N of me. If it went south it'd hit water Everyone have a great day!
Old 06-05-2012, 05:37 AM

Beach plum jelly. Yum-o! Plum is the only jelly I eat. Never had beach plum though. Just send it to me-e-e Krystyna.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]340034[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails detail.jpeg  

Last edited by fayzer; 06-05-2012 at 05:39 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:53 AM
Swap Hosts

OK, here is the deal on beach plum jam. From the label on my jam -- and jam is sooo much better than jelly ..

In secluded wild spaces where the sea and sand meet, the highly prized Wild Beach Plum captures the essence of summer. Warmed by the summer sun. Caressed by salty sea spray breeze where seagulls glide.

The location of the groves of this elusive and the coveted fruit is a closely held secret passed on to the fortunate generations of those who live Somewhere by the Sea.

Collected at precisely the right moment, the wild beach plum fills the senses with a fragrant mélange of the season’s sweet memories.

Delightful on breakfast muffins or corn bread. A unexpected complement to seafood, game and vegetarian entrees.

Beach plums ONLY grow well in the wild. Cornell University has tried and tried to cultivate them but it just doesn't work. They grow on scraggly bushes in the sandy dunes away from most foot traffic. They are about the size of a cherry, but have a pit like a plum. My husband and I use a cherry pitter to clean them and it takes a loooong time since we fill about 10 5-gallon buckets each time we go. I use a child's wading pool to clean them all. Quite a site. They are incredibly delicious in jam and I make an Asian inspired dipping sauce with them combining ginger, garlic and secret stuff. The part about keeping the location of the groves a secret is not made up. People would rather give away their first born child than give up the location of a beach plum grove.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:34 AM

Lori, I loved the pictures of the cabin...Cabining sounds like it was a lot of fun! Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:51 AM

I've never had a beach plum but it sure sounds delicious! Going shopping today for my SP hope to find something special for her along with her honey of course! Everyone have a great day! Almost forgot... Lori your cabin was awesome looks like you all had a great time!
Old 06-05-2012, 06:51 AM

Lori I love the photos of your camping/cabining adventure; looks like a fun place to visit.

Krystyna - thanks for sharing the story about the beach plums - it sounds like a great outing to gather and process the fruit.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

Wow Lori what a beautiful cabin. Hope you got some much needed rest.I also love the quilts and log furniture. Krystyna enjoyed the story of the beach plums. They do sound yummy.Mary
Old 06-05-2012, 07:07 AM

Going shopping to day for secret pal. Then home to sewing up some goodies for her. So here another clue if you are looking. My secret pal collects an animal you see in the circus and also collects this beautiful insect.