Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Secret Santa -Signups Closed!!! Remember To PM Me Mailing Info When Sent/Rec'd (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/secret-santa-signups-closed-remember-pm-me-mailing-info-when-sent-recd-t252598.html)

ArizonaKAT 11-04-2014 12:00 PM

[QUOTE=PenniF;6956246]Like maybe pierogies and chopped cabbage sauteed in butter ????? And who doesn't eat fries and coleslaw on their steak sandwich?? I'm packing it all up and bringing it to the Hole !!!

We can have a corner in the hole for the burg! I'll bring the Pittsburgh Stillers signs!

Neesie 11-04-2014 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by PenniF (Post 6956254)
Once opening day is passed you will HAVE to share what your new "skill" is....dying of curiosity here !!!! ....that is unless i'm your SS .... so you could just tell me now????!!!!

LOL Penni, it's just paper piecing. Quite some time ago, I ordered the add-a-quarter ruler and some newsprint paper, from Amazon. . . then they sat waiting for me, until I started this project. It's kinda fun but seems to waste a lot of fabric, IMO. Not too bad, if one can use scraps . . . but that isn't always possible. The jury is still out, on whether or not I'll become a fan of it. I'm not crazy about the added number of seams needed, to construct the smaller details. I opted to applique one feature, rather than have twenty million overlapping seams behind it. :p

ArizonaKAT 11-04-2014 12:10 PM

Oh, I forgot. I'll bring the Jumbo. Didn't someone say they have mustard?

Chester the bunny 11-04-2014 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Neesie (Post 6956295)
LOL Penni, it's just paper piecing. Quite some time ago, I ordered the add-a-quarter ruler and some newsprint paper, from Amazon. . . then they sat waiting for me, until I started this project. It's kinda fun but seems to waste a lot of fabric, IMO. Not too bad, if one can use scraps . . . but that isn't always possible. The jury is still out, on whether or not I'll become a fan of it. I'm not crazy about the added number of seams needed, to construct the smaller details. I opted to applique one feature, rather than have twenty million overlapping seams behind it. :p

I think I feel the same way about the waste of fabric Neesie. Not to mention that I feel totally dyslexic when I'm doing this. I cut a piece thinking it's the right-ish shape only to find out that it should have been cut wider at the other end. Not a fan. Good on you for trying.

buddy'smom 11-04-2014 12:23 PM

I'm bad, I love to pp and do waste a bid but just add to my scrap pile. I do love how perfect things fall into place with pp.

Originally Posted by Chester the bunny (Post 6956299)
I think I feel the same way about the waste of fabric Neesie. Not to mention that I feel totally dyslexic when I'm doing this. I cut a piece thinking it's the right-ish shape only to find out that it should have been cut wider at the other end. Not a fan. Good on you for trying.

Neesie 11-04-2014 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Chester the bunny (Post 6956299)

I had the same problem. At the beginning, I swear I ripped out two seams for every three I stitched! :p

PenniF 11-04-2014 12:39 PM

I confess i love pp for a lot of projects - and have started my DGD on it...and she really likes it too. I know i would never in this life be able to put together some of the compass or other skinny points i've made with PP if i tried to do it with regular piecing. But when i first started using it - i did feel like i wasted a lot of fabric - and very often i would cut the shapes i wanted backward so that when i stitched they fell short. But over time it seems my brain adjusted and now i feel very good about not having much waste - and i very rarely (won't say never) cut the pieces backward....I think it just takes time for your brain to start seeing things "backwards" since you are working from the wrong side.
ALSO ---- you are taking the error very graciously - cuz i confess if i got a PP pattern and did all that work just to find it was wrong - i'd be pretty upset

Neesie 11-04-2014 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by PenniF (Post 6956333)
ALSO ---- you are taking the error very graciously - cuz i confess if i got a PP pattern and did all that work just to find it was wrong - i'd be pretty upset

Penni, it was disappointing but I make way too many of my own mistakes, to be too upset about someone else's. :D I should have paid more attention to the details, before starting. At any rate, the pattern was free and way cuter than anything I'd have thought up, on my own. :)

Cindy60545 11-04-2014 01:11 PM

Whew! Santa's sleigh just got a little fuller today. I mailed my package off to my Santaee! I sure hope she likes everything I put in there. She's not been very active on the thread, so unsure this year.

My hint today: You don't live in the city.

PenniF 11-04-2014 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Neesie (Post 6956359)
Penni, it was disappointing but I make way too many of my own mistakes, to be too upset about someone else's. :D I should have paid more attention to the details, before starting. At any rate, the pattern was free and way cuter than anything I'd have thought up, on my own. :)

LOL.....yeah i take your point...but then again - i stomp around saying bad words when it's MY OWN mistake too !!!!!