Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Any new organizing goals? >

Any new organizing goals?

Any new organizing goals?

Old 10-31-2016, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

I reorganized my fabric. flannels, batiks, knits, linens, muslin, quilting cotton. The fabric on bolts also.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:20 PM
Banned

I've just begun packing up my small sewing room along with the rest of my house. My 50yr old mobile home is being torn down and replaced with a brand new one with a large(14x15)sewing room. I've decided that whatever doesn't fit in the 10x12 shed or under the carport while demolition and construction are happening will go to Goodwill or the dump. I'm really hoping to be in the new house and unpacked before Christmas.

Cari
Old 11-05-2016, 05:25 PM
Power Poster

How exciting, Cari...New home with a bigger space that you can close the door on....

Still cutting fabrics..hope to be done tomorrow...
Old 11-06-2016, 05:15 AM

Since I'm still being stymied on how to store my large quilts when they are not being used I've decided to focus on
1.putting away all the alcohol inks and fabric paints that I've left strewn all over my studio.
2. putting away/shredding/recycling all the excess paperwork that is laying around my office so I am not constantly having to move piles from one place to another

those two goals should keep me busy for most of this week since I will be working on them in between working on collaborative pieces with two different artists and also a UFO quilt that will be my finish for November in the UFO section of the challenges forum.

Rob
Old 11-17-2016, 02:55 PM

I have finally put my sewing room back together. Or, at least till next spring. A little background, in the spring, my sewing room sprung many leaks. So, after fixing that, we were going to put down new flooring. Fast forwad to late spring early fall and my husbands work truck, tractor trailer, got hit by lightning. So, no new flooring yet. So, I decided to live with the floor as is and repositioned everything to create a better flow. My sewing room is in a 12 x20 sunroom. And, pretty much, it's all mine. I did have to put a couch in there that we are not quite ready to get rid of yet. But, it's still pretty useful. Now, for pictures.....

This is the view from the outside door looking in to room.

This photo is taken from the opposite side of the room. To the left by the TV is the sliders that lead into the house. Oopsy, looks like I have a puppy looking into the window ready to come in. lol, yep, I got photo bombed.

One of two design walls, aka, flannel backed table clothes. They really work great. And, I hung them with command hooks.

Almost everything has been moved back in. As you can see, I really like plastic bins. I label a lot so I can see at a glance what is there and move at warp speed to get what I want. The small double chest is actually a kids size chest and houses most of my fabric. I arrange by rainbow color in the top two drawers and the bottom one has all my beachy fabric, novelties, and holidays. I don't use cardboard to wrap. I just do basically the ruler folding.

Last edited by Judith1005; 11-17-2016 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:10 PM

The colors of the rainbow.

This is most of my fabric but, not all. As I use up more fabric, more will be shifted to the drawers. I am realizing, that I have way more fabric then I can possibly use. And, I am on a quest to use up as much of what I already own as possible.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:26 PM

The plastic PVC shelf that is in the room, I got at Lowe's at least 10 years ago. And, other then taking it outside and hosing the dust off once a year, it looks like new. I used to love all my containers to match exactly. Now, I just use whatever I can find that fits the bill. I love pretty boxes and zippered cases. The Gray dot zipper cases I got at Old Time Pottery on clearance. I love that they are made from recycled plastics. On the 3rd shelf down is a Black Case. It is a vintage Woman's cosmetic case or Jewel box.

In my Ikea shelving unit, I used Christmas ornament boxes 2 high (3rd shelf down). They work great for pre-cuts.

This is a peak into one of my plastic containers in the Ikea shelving unit. I originally thought I would just use PVC pipe cut down to size with a piece of cardboard glued to the bottom. It was a huge eye opener how expensive PVC is. Back to the drawing board. I was able to get plastic cups at Wal-mart for less then $1 a piece. Works great for all the embellishments I use in my postcards.

I'm am quite OCD on organizing. (sorry)

Last edited by Judith1005; 11-17-2016 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:50 PM

And last, I call this my window wall. Because my sewing room is in the sunroom (say that 3 x's fast, lol ) I can't put any holes in the wall. So, I use tension rods in my window wall. And, I buy the 24 pack of hooks from IKEA to hang things. Right now, my Postcards are on display. But, I can also hang mini quilts as well from the tension rods the same way or with suction cup hooks.

I hope I have inspired you to look into organizing anyway that works for you.

I thought this was funny. This box with this label used to be in my daughters room when she was a little girl. Now it is being used in my sewing room with a different label on the other side for me. (It does make me smile though.)
Old 11-17-2016, 03:57 PM

Sorry, forgot to post my Ikea unit. This puppy was worth every penny. It holds a ton of stuff. And, yes, I use most everything in it at one time or another.

Old 11-17-2016, 04:26 PM

Wow! What a wonderful space. It's so airy and organized. I like your photo rails displaying your postcards too. Tough luck on your hubby's truck. I hope he wasn't injured. As for your daughter's old label, it looks like she was paying attention to your example.

Last edited by lots2do; 11-17-2016 at 04:30 PM.