Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Do you organize just to buy more? >

Do you organize just to buy more?

Do you organize just to buy more?

Old 05-29-2017, 06:31 AM

Will be organizing today and tomorrow as on Wednesday I begin a week long retreat at home. Don't need more fabric any time soon!
Old 06-28-2017, 01:30 PM

I will start organizing to remind myself of what I have, and so I don't duplicate buying. But, I always seem to find that I'm missing something... do I have enough green fabrics? oh look, I'm running low on blue thread... or those four fabrics would make something lovely, but I need two more it perfect...
Old 06-29-2017, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

Lesson: The more space you have the more you fill it up. having a place for everything is nice and filling that space up with more stuff just makes it harder to work around. I understand the temptation. There are a lot of people who can attest to the fact that they may have umpteen #s of gadgets and they never use most of them. Keep it basic and you can do most things with very little.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:02 PM

Very good advice, ube.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:49 PM

During 2015 and 2016, made 36 quilts, mostly from my stash. The shelves aren't crammed. But it hardly made a dent. What an eye opener.

Hi. My name is Petthefabric. And I'm a fabriholic.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by redstilettos View Post
LOL tess. I have brain farts, too. And to only find 9 yards was a bonus. I once found 15 yds in a bag....they coordinated, but I couldn't for the LIFE of me remember what pattern I had picked them up for! I "obviously" HAD to have it, though!
LOL
Thanks for the chuckle!
WHEN YOU BUY FABRIC put Note in bag what for. on note paper or scratch paper, even back of receipt. BEFORE you leave parking lot. I keep scratch paper and pens in car pocket. How do I know.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:40 AM

Well, it's not that easy to answer. Yes and no. I usually organize my stash just prior to shop hops. I know I'm going to buy more, so I organize in advance. That way if DH is watching me "fit" my recent (un-needed) purchases, they go in relatively easily!

Actually DH is looking to move and one of the homes has a whole complete wall of bookshelves. I've been vocal enough that if we move there, that wall is mine!
Old 07-02-2017, 08:55 AM

I need to. I am currently avoiding sewing room as it's too much of a mess!!!

seriously considering moving cutting table and sew machine to un-utilized living room. Leaving shelving, drawers, totes, - whatever is holding tools and fabrics and patterns in my small sew room. That way I can have a calm place to actually sew.. my concern is I will then overrun THAT room with chaos!!!
Old 07-02-2017, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by BerninaGirl View Post
My friend and I have decided that organizing is over rated. Spend most of 2016 trying to get organized, think of all the hours we spent organizing if we turned those into sewing hours, what could we get done??

2017 my goal is to sew my wait out of the clutter, results will be organization.
I've been trying to do that for years....not sure how well it's working, but it's a lot of fun LOL
Old 07-12-2017, 09:00 PM

No, they are separate for me. I love to buy fabric and enjoy both organizing and having things organized.