Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Your Sewing Area - how does it all fit? >

Your Sewing Area - how does it all fit?

Your Sewing Area - how does it all fit?

Old 08-02-2016, 02:42 AM

Thumbs up

Oh Thank you NoraB. what a sweet comment. I've waited many, many years for a place like this ...Basement split by center staircase...
Old 08-11-2016, 02:29 AM

Dedicated room for my hobby....

Someone tipped me off about a sewing table at a rummage sale. It is about 40" x 40". A recess that allows my 9900 to drop in perfectlly! $80! Love my table!

Mobile kitchen island on casters with storage underneath, perfect height and space for the 24 x 36 Olfa mat.

i have a bookcase that is deep enough to use those cloth cubbies for fabric storage.

3 lower kitchen cabinets ( Habitat Re-store...$90 total!). Laminate top. Total cost was less than $200.

Wire hanging file folder on casters that hold misc. bolts of fabric.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/mission...t-t209747.html

Sandy

Last edited by Sandygirl; 08-11-2016 at 02:41 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:05 AM

i just wish I had room to arrange tables like yours, nice work space
Old 08-31-2016, 05:15 PM

I love to look at other's quilting set ups too. By the way, The Quilt Show (online with Ricky Tims and Alex Anderson) has a short segment on quilting rooms … really enjoyed looking at this today.
I have a bedroom set up for sewing, cutting, ironing and design wall. Then I went and bought an HQ Avante. I love my Avante but no room in my "quilting room". So…… we moved out our dining room furniture and moved in my long arm. I love this set up. It is right in front of a big window so I can look out on one of our horse pastures. Now I have lots of space. (We have a large kitchen table where we usually eat … and entertain any guests … so we didn't use the "dining room" anyway. Whatever works is best!
Old 11-26-2016, 06:45 AM

Partial finished basement, I took an unfinished bedroom for sewing. The walls are actually finished but has cement floor (sweeps nicely) and unfinished ceiling with ceiling light and fan. Who looks up anyway haha. I have largeEast window, lots of natural light and I can see our driveway and street.

There are shelves top to bottom in the closet, my parents had a tall narrow chest for important papers (much like a lingerie chest) so I have it, my Bachelor Uncles chrome kitchen table on bed risers that holds my Joanne's 32x58 cutting mat perfectly. Also have totes stored under the table - been working on emptying them.

My ironing board has removable wide top that hubby made for me. There is tall shelf built into wall 16" x 7' and my thread among other stuff like machine feet, is in plastic shoe boxes sorted by color. My neighbor sold Avon and gave me boxes with removable lids so fabric is sorted by color on a metal shelf. Would like to replace with small plastic totes someday but boxes were free and totes cost $$ haha.

Good light from 2 shop lines that he hung. My Great Grandmas round sewing basket is on the wall also picture of farm place where I grew up, Dresden plate quilt hung out of direct light made by Grandma - all for memories.

Lots of stuff in here, but I actually know where to find it !
Old 11-26-2016, 09:13 AM

I just realized that I am a visual person. I love to look at pictures of sewing rooms. They are so neat and tidy and everything in its place.

I woke up this morning and walked by my sewing room on the way to get coffee....it looked like someone tried to rob the place! It looks like I took things out of drawers, flung them around, put things on top of things on the cutting surface, extension cords running everywhere, unfinished water bottle on table, etc. Unfortunately, that's what it looks like when I'm working on a quilt!

I like to leave things out so I can see them and use them easily (iron, water bottle, Mary Ellen's Best Spray).

Then, I leave other things out so I can see them and use them easily (self-threading needle, magnetic pin holder, bobbin winder, bobbins).

Then, I need to have other things out so I can see them and use them easily (water for drinking, television remotes, sewing machine oil, lint brushes).

Hmmmmmm..........I don't know if I can ever make it look "neat" unless I stop sewing. But, that's never going to happen, so good thing my room is on the second floor and it does have a door (I think I can still get it shut)! ha!

Hope everyone has a great day sewing and "small business Saturday" shopping!
Old 11-27-2016, 09:23 AM

If my area is clean I haven't been sewing! If it's a mess then I have been turning out a lot of work. I try to clean up after each project but that doesn't always work! In fact that is where I'm stalled right now.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:38 AM

I don't have much of a sewing space. I sew in the dining room. My White machine is in its own cabinet. I have a Janome on the dining room table. My fabric and craft stuff is in an old bureau on the side wall still in the dining room. I usually cut my fabric on the kitchen island. It works for me for now. Our house is very small so I have to use what space I can carve out...
Old 11-27-2016, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by tranum View Post
Partial finished basement, I took an unfinished bedroom for sewing. The walls are actually finished but has cement floor (sweeps nicely) and unfinished ceiling with ceiling light and fan. Who looks up anyway haha. I have largeEast window, lots of natural light and I can see our driveway and street.

There are shelves top to bottom in the closet, my parents had a tall narrow chest for important papers (much like a lingerie chest) so I have it, my Bachelor Uncles chrome kitchen table on bed risers that holds my Joanne's 32x58 cutting mat perfectly. Also have totes stored under the table - been working on emptying them.

My ironing board has removable wide top that hubby made for me. There is tall shelf built into wall 16" x 7' and my thread among other stuff like machine feet, is in plastic shoe boxes sorted by color. My neighbor sold Avon and gave me boxes with removable lids so fabric is sorted by color on a metal shelf. Would like to replace with small plastic totes someday but boxes were free and totes cost $$ haha.

Good light from 2 shop lines that he hung. My Great Grandmas round sewing basket is on the wall also picture of farm place where I grew up, Dresden plate quilt hung out of direct light made by Grandma - all for memories.

Lots of stuff in here, but I actually know where to find it !
I bet your room is beautiful, especially with all of the things you have acquired from family and friends. I have a sewing basket that was my grandma's that she had tole painted on the top. I put recent scraps in there until I can sort them.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:00 PM

I have 3 older singers in small cabinets, a singer on the dining room table, and a small Janome on a folding table. The serger is in the sewing room. I need to get rid of a large office style desk in the sewing room so I can move some of my machines in there. Need to relocate the piano too, but to where is the question. oh and then there's the garage, where i have a table for cutting. I have PVC pipe on the legs to add height so my back doesn't hurt.