Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions
Looking for a quilting pal - I'm from Texas >

Looking for a quilting pal - I'm from Texas

Looking for a quilting pal - I'm from Texas

Old 10-27-2015, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Texas_Sue View Post
I don't know who all I've missed but this is great! I love hearing about what's going on in your part of the world. I look forward to sharing all things quilty. I love civil war fabrics and quilts. I really don't think there is too much I don't like when it comes to quilting. I'm even going for an applique technique class next week. Nancy Amidon is the teacher and she teaches an off the block applique process. I think I may like this very much.

Getting my go bag ready to work on paper piecing Friday. It's always fun to get together and sew with others. It's what I've been looking for since before I retired. I could always come up with an excuse to use some of my paid time off to get with other quilters.

Will check back later to see what everyone is up to.

Susan
Euless, Texas
Susan,
Where are you taking your applique class and where do you go for 'paper piecing Friday'? Just curious. Also,
I love Civil War quilts as well.
Marcia in Crowley
Old 10-27-2015, 06:17 PM

Hi Susan. I'm south of you in Georgetown. I have a sewing room which is totally a mess, a Babylock Tiara sit-down longarm, and my 93-year old dad has advanced Alzheimer's. Sounds like there are quite a few of us here with much in common! Betty
Old 10-28-2015, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnMyra View Post
Have really enjoyed reading about you all, the various places you live and your tastes in quilting. I have never been to the States.

To fill in a bit more about me: I live in a tiny village in southern New South Wales (about 300 houses) on the northern edge of the Snowy Mountains area. I meet with a small informal group of 'crafty' friends on Friday mornings but other than that would have to travel many miles to be part of any quilting group. Quilt shops are pretty scarce in my area too.

Sue, I fully understand how you feel about getting organised, I am lucky enough to have plenty of space but am forever re-organising, I call it 'rationalising' as I love to jump around from project to project. Would like to hear how others approach their work. Are you a 'one at a time' quilter or like me 'lots on the go at once'?

I'm also interested to know if we can form a group within this Board or just talk to one another on this thread.
I like the idea of a group that start out as strangers and become neighbors, getting to know each other is fun and interesting.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Texas_Sue View Post
Hi, I'm just looking for another quilter to stay in touch with for quilting inspiration. I would enjoy talking about projects, new or ongoing and just share experiences and expertise or questions with.

I'm in North Central Texas, retired and 64 y/o. If you are interested I would love to hear from you. PM or just here online.

Thanks,
Susan in Texas
I'm Virginia in Arlington, TX. Have been quilting for 20 years and over 70. I know what people are going through being a care giver. I had the pleasure of taking care of my mother for 2 1/2 years and my son, who was Down's for 46 years. You will look back and treasure each day. But it maybe hard at the time. I would take them both back in a second.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by nme1974 View Post
Nancy...where are you in Houston? Sorry to hear of your problems with your long arm...hopefully you can get those worked out...I don't have any experience with anything like that. Looks like you were in LA? Did you move recently?

I'm in Humble. I have a condo here near my daughters and their families. My "big house" is in Lake Charles, LA. I commute back and forth quite often
Old 10-28-2015, 05:42 AM

My Jane is all machine. Our LQS had a Dear Jane group with a two year commitment. Four years later I am still not done. I have most of it on my design wall to encourage me to finish it. Has'nt motivated me to do anything more but work on other things. Hummmmmm. My daughter in law and I went to Salem, Massachusetts last October in honor of Halloween. We drove up and visited the real Jane. OMG it was fabulous.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by AnngelAnne View Post
Well, Susan from Texas, I am Ann from Maine, and I would say you can find all kinds of quilter pals on this site. It has to be the most useful and interesting group of people I have met anywhere. Most are easy to talk with and always helpful. And available if you need a laugh too. Check out the mystery train that rolls thru now and then. The next one is due in February or March, but loads of fun. Happy to meet you. Ann
Hi Ann - This is turning into one of the most enjoyable points in my day. I love finding out what people like doing - quilt related. I also think you are positively right about this being one of the best places for help, advice and friendship.

What's on your agenda today?
Old 10-28-2015, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Tiggersmom View Post
Hi Susan in Texas!
I was born an Okie, raised in California, have been in Arizona since 92, and if I ever move I thought of living in Texas!!!
I'm a civil war and 30's fabric gal, but that doesn't stop me from buying batiks, or anything else that moves me.
I do have a Gammil since 2004, quilted for customers and myself, but my back is so bad I have a bff that uses it at my house. We are in hopes she will do some quilting for me on the big projects.
My new love is my Yorkie, Buddybear,DH and I share him but DH says he is my dog (so why is he cuddling in his lap?). I turned 65 this year so we are close to the same age.
Good Morning Jennifer. I was so glad to read your post and I hope when you decide to move you will consider Texas. We have pretty mild winters (a few icy days thrown in here and there) but summers are pretty hot!

What are you working on right now?

Susan
Old 10-28-2015, 05:54 AM

I'm Judy and I live just north of Corpus Christi in a 38 foot motorhome. Quilting room, oh would I love to have one. I too have more fabric in my "resource center" than I will ever use, but sure trying. I do a lot of donation quilts and customer quilts also. We have a quilting group in our RV park that meets every week each doing our own thing, but sharing and learning from one another.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by BettyB View Post
I am in the north east point of Texas between Texarkana, Tx and Shreveport La. I retired in 2002 and I have been non stop quilting. I have a fantastic she shed which "was" an enclosed swimming pool. I practically live in this room.
I will never live long enough to make all the quilts I want to lol.
Betty, I, too, will never outlive all the quilts I would like to make and the fabric stash I have. I am so glad you posted.

Susan