Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions
Looking for a quilting pal - I'm from Texas >

Looking for a quilting pal - I'm from Texas

Looking for a quilting pal - I'm from Texas

Old 10-28-2015, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Texas_Sue View Post
Good Morning Jennifer. I was so glad to read your post and I hope when you decide to move you will consider Texas. We have pretty mild winters (a few icy days thrown in here and there) but summers are pretty hot!

What are you working on right now?

Susan
Nothing, LOL............I had cataract surgery last week, and the 2nd eye in Nov. My room is a Mess, which I have to get straightened up before cutting anything else.

I bought gobs of fabric for Project Linus quilts and my older son is looking into buying a house so I've bought fabric to make him a queen quilt for his bed using my GO! machine and flying geese die. Red, black and grayish zigzag....not sure when that will get started.

Right this minute I have a new quilting friend over and am helping her. . . . she's pressing, and cutting and I'm being lazy and instead of putting things away, I'm on the computer. roflol. She needs help, so I best go.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by pflum1 View Post
I'm Virginia in Arlington, TX. Have been quilting for 20 years and over 70. I know what people are going through being a care giver. I had the pleasure of taking care of my mother for 2 1/2 years and my son, who was Down's for 46 years. You will look back and treasure each day. But it maybe hard at the time. I would take them both back in a second.
pflum1 I like the way you word that "the pleasure of taking care of". So many look at it as a burden, and I think it is special people that are given this honor, and few view that look at it this way. I think saints are the ones that do it well and care so much, and obviously you are in that group of people. Bless you and all those that are in this position in their lives.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Texas_Sue View Post
Hi Ann - This is turning into one of the most enjoyable points in my day. I love finding out what people like doing - quilt related. I also think you are positively right about this being one of the best places for help, advice and friendship.

What's on your agenda today?
Good morning Susan

A very windy, extremely rainy day, but its warm for a change. WE have had weather near 20 in the morning, today nearer 55. I could play in the rain, but I have to go to work. I work full time still but thankfully have a job as I need to pay my bills. But while at work my mind is on quilting and working on my crafts. I love them all, and can get lost very easily in any of them. Currently still squaring squares on the last mystery train table runners. Getting closer to getting them done, and also putting borders on a fishing quilt for a friend. I too enjoy talking and visiting or reading of people with like interests. What else do you enjoy besides your quilting? Have a great day.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:10 AM

Hi all I live 60 miles south east of Waco at Lake Limestone. Moved here and built a home here after retiring in 2004 to be near our daughter. I have been sewing for about 40 years and quilting about 15 but really fell in love with it after I could do it full time. My sewing room is a mess to but I hate to take the time to clean it when I could be piecing, quilting, or embroidering on my machine. I to have realized in the last few years that my favorite quilt patterns are traditional and I will not live long enough to use up my fabric stash. Look forward to getting acquainted with everyone.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:29 AM

Hi, Linmid. Are you going to the Waco 40 Vendors all under one roof (Convention Center) in January 8-9 (I think)? I'll probably sign up for the bus that Quilter's Dream is taking down there on Friday. It's a great way to see other stores' merchandise and the types of quilting the foster.

Susan
Old 10-29-2015, 06:33 AM

You are so going to love retirement when it comes. I really don't know how I worked and did as many quilting activities as I did. I can never seem to get caught up now. I love reading and watching cooking show games - Chopped, Cutthroat Kitchen, Worst Cooks. But mostly I love quilting and my quilting friends.

Susan
Old 10-29-2015, 01:37 PM

Good morning/evening ladies. Lovely to hear from you all and read what you are doing.

No quilting for me today, I will be meeting with my craft group this morning and just doing hand work, too much hassle to pack up machine and stuff just for half a day. And then this afternoon, off to do the week's shopping and visit the Library.

Susan, like you, I never seem to get caught up and I though retirement would be restful HAH! I worked until I was 71 and even then was not a happy retiree. I had a lovely little job in School Admin, just two days a week which I could work when I liked and I missed it like the devil.

Well off I go now, tra la la la la.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:17 PM

this sounds like a very fun group! hope you have room for one more. i've moved to the philly area, but prior to that i lived 24 yrs in dallas. 2 of my kids, and all three grandgirls, live in the dallas area. as soon as my dh gives in and retires we will be hightailing it back to texas. i sure miss all the aspects! we are having a beautiful fall here. vibrant foliage, crisp clean air, and the holidays approaching. i am working on a wedding quilt for my daughter in Summer Breeze II and 3. i have a digitized quilt to make, and it should be priority, but just isn't. i have too much of everything, except energy. i also make doll clothes for my girls, and my own 18" dolls. and we just adopted a rescue havanese mom from a puppy mill. she is just delightful, and she is working hard to get me potty trained. who would guess a lick on your eye would be the signal??? lol. her name is bunny and i am quite smitten, so much so, that i have made her 3 jackets: one for rain, one for warmth, and one for more formal occasions.this is my first toy dog, so anyone who has one, feel free to offer advice! she is very different from my cocker spaniel! ok, what i need most is an encouraging kick in the butt to get me moving on all the quilts i need to/want to make. i do mostly loud and fun quilts. oh, i'm either 17 and some months, or i'm 64, your choice! time for bed now, but will check in again later. ttfn!
Old 10-30-2015, 02:44 PM

Hello Ladies. Overcast and threatening rain here in sunny Oz. Spring storms time in the mountains.

No quilting yesterday, just a little bit of hand sewing on a Double Wedding Ring quilt. This afternoon, some more quilting on a donation I Spy and then perhaps a start on pinning a Flower Fairies top for my granddaughter that I finished piecing a week or two ago. A little more FMQ practice too. Am turning FMQ samples into place mats.

How's the sewing room re-organisation going Susan? I'm thinking of you making your way to that lovely Sweet Sixteen.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:02 PM

Today has been great. I got together with 6 other ladies and we sewed most of the day. I'm glad to see Mary B that you are still rooting for me to get to that Sweet Sixteen. I may take a few hours tonight to pick up a little and start again tomorrow. Nancia - of course there is always room for more to join in. I love all things quilty and I can't tell everyone how glad I am that you are sharing with me here. Hope everyone has a safe night and may your Halloween be SPOOKY! Have a wonderful weekend all!

Susan