Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions
Looking for a quilting pal - I'm from Texas >

Looking for a quilting pal - I'm from Texas

Looking for a quilting pal - I'm from Texas

Old 10-28-2015, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by marciacp View Post
Hi Susan,
I'm in Crowley, just south of Ft. Worth. I know the approximate area you live in. I'm 65,
and like you, have been looking for a while for a new quilting buddy. I used to belong
to a quilting group, and I had a really good friend who was a quilter, but she moved
away. Seems like for whatever reason, I'm not plugged in with other quilters right now,
and I really miss the fellowship and working on quilts together. I know exactly where
you are coming from and would love to talk with your further.
Marcia in Crowley
Hi, Marcia! I know the area you live in. I grew up (teenage years) in Hallmark - an addition that was between Everman and Fort Worth.

I'm so glad you wrote and will look forward to hearing from you often.

My applique class is with Nancy Amidon and she will be teaching Pear Pereira of P3Designs.com method. It was offered in Wylie, TX at the Blue Ribbon Quilt store. Kind of a drive and in early morning work traffic! I am looking forward to learning this new method.

My Friday Paper Piecing sew day is being held at Quilter's Dream in Colleyville. Have you ever been there? It a really cute store but is going downhill and I'm afraid that she will soon be out of business. Times have changed so much, but all good things end sometime.

Susan
Old 10-28-2015, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Bebe2Ten View Post
Hi Susan. I'm south of you in Georgetown. I have a sewing room which is totally a mess, a Babylock Tiara sit-down longarm, and my 93-year old dad has advanced Alzheimer's. Sounds like there are quite a few of us here with much in common! Betty
I think we should all be glad we found each other. I never dreamed I could find people of the same circumstances. I welcome all here, wherever you are from - young and old - I just wanted to have someone to talk to and to have an outlet to share with others in addition to having a great way to start the day.

Susan
Old 10-28-2015, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by AnngelAnne View Post
I like the idea of a group that start out as strangers and become neighbors, getting to know each other is fun and interesting.
I'm glad that you dropped in. This is going to be so enjoyable just seeing what's up with everyone. Have a great day AnngelAnne!

Susan
Old 10-28-2015, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by pflum1 View Post
I'm Virginia in Arlington, TX. Have been quilting for 20 years and over 70. I know what people are going through being a care giver. I had the pleasure of taking care of my mother for 2 1/2 years and my son, who was Down's for 46 years. You will look back and treasure each day. But it maybe hard at the time. I would take them both back in a second.
Hi, Virginia. Did you go to Lone Star Quilt store there in Arlington? I was so sad to see it close. My friend and I were in the Jo Morton Club and had started a civil war fabric study with Betsy there. I don't know where I will go for civil war fabrics unless it's in Waxahachie. Kind of a drive, but it's a good store.

Susan
Old 10-28-2015, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by RV Quilter View Post
I'm Judy and I live just north of Corpus Christi in a 38 foot motorhome. Quilting room, oh would I love to have one. I too have more fabric in my "resource center" than I will ever use, but sure trying. I do a lot of donation quilts and customer quilts also. We have a quilting group in our RV park that meets every week each doing our own thing, but sharing and learning from one another.
Hi, Judy. Do you all travel much? Sounds like a lot of fun being in the RV group. Who all do you donate to? I saw a mention of Miniature quilts for preemies and I'm doing some research to see if I can find where that group is.

Thanks again for dropping in and saying hi!

Susan
Old 10-28-2015, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Texas_Sue View Post
Hi, Marcia! I know the area you live in. I grew up (teenage years) in Hallmark - an addition that was between Everman and Fort Worth.

I'm so glad you wrote and will look forward to hearing from you often.

My applique class is with Nancy Amidon and she will be teaching Pear Pereira of P3Designs.com method. It was offered in Wylie, TX at the Blue Ribbon Quilt store. Kind of a drive and in early morning work traffic! I am looking forward to learning this new method.

My Friday Paper Piecing sew day is being held at Quilter's Dream in Colleyville. Have you ever been there? It a really cute store but is going downhill and I'm afraid that she will soon be out of business. Times have changed so much, but all good things end sometime.

Susan
I'm very familiar with Hallmark. We lived in Edgecliff Village for 13 years before we moved back to Crowley. And, yes, I am very familiar with Quilter's Dream. So sorry to hear it may be closing soon. Seems like so many brick and morter stores are closing, even those that have been around for a long time. Back in my quilting hay day, my quilting friends and I used to go all over the DFW area to quilt shops. I pretty much know where they all are, or were, and have been to most of them. I like the Waxahachie shop and there is a good one in Midlothian as well. Hope they can make a go of it.
Marcia in Crowley
Old 10-28-2015, 09:48 AM

I'm from Universal City, just north of San Antonio. Retired and 74 y/o. I need someone to tell me to put the book down and quilt. I have so many UFOs and WIPs that I wonder why I am even going to the quilt show tomorrow --- I know I will buy another project. HELP!
Old 10-28-2015, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I'm from Universal City, just north of San Antonio. Retired and 74 y/o. I need someone to tell me to put the book down and quilt. I have so many UFOs and WIPs that I wonder why I am even going to the quilt show tomorrow --- I know I will buy another project. HELP!
I so understand!!! I can get off task and do everything but what needs to be done. Hope you have a great time at the quilt show. I would be buying multiple projects and fabric.

Susan
Old 10-28-2015, 02:19 PM

Good morning all, or good evening as the case may be. Another lovely spring day here in southern Oz and I'll be off to do battle with some more weeds shortly.

Quilting afternoon yesterday: another half hour or so practising FMQ from Lori Kennedy"s class and then on to more quilting an I Spy donation quilt that has been a joy to make. It will go to our local Cancer Assistance program.

How's the organising going Sue? Will you be able to get to some serious stuff on that Sweet Sixteen soon?
Old 10-28-2015, 03:09 PM

Hi, Susan. I'm brand-new to the board, but we're probably pretty close neighbors; I'm in Fort Worth. I work two jobs and so don't have tons of time to quilt, but I'd love to compare notes and learn from you, as I'm just beginning to learn and have a big project on which to do it: EPP bed (full) quilt.