Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions
Looking for a quilting pal - I'm from Texas >

Looking for a quilting pal - I'm from Texas

Looking for a quilting pal - I'm from Texas

Old 10-30-2015, 07:30 PM

I'm in Houston, too. I'm on the Northwest side almost to Cypress. I'd love to keep in touch. I'm 63 and not retired yet, but my schedule is very flexible as we have our own company and I do the books.
Old 10-31-2015, 04:52 AM

I would like to keep up with you too. It will be so nice to keep up with one another and we can even show things we're working on. Maybe I'll try to show some pictures of the paper piecing I'm working off and on with for a boy themed donation quilt. I can make girlie quilts all day, but there just doesn't seem to be all that many male themed quilt patterns.

I'm so glad you wrote Patrice! We'll all have a good time here.
Susan
Old 10-31-2015, 03:02 PM

Hello Susan,

It's 9.30 Sunday morning here and will soon be raining again.

I see you are working on a donation quilt too. Would love to see some pictures of what everyone is doing. I stayed with the quilting on mine yesterday for most of the afternoon and am almost finished that part now. Only took a break from that for awhile to ease the strain on neck and shoulders, and did some easy piecing on another one for donation further down the track. Finding that I need to pace myself a bit these days.

Also, I like to listen to a talking book or some music while I sew and that is very tension relieving. Am listening to Carolina Moon by Nora Roberts right now; really light stuff but serves the purpose.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:46 AM

Hey, Mary! You've been very busy. What a great idea to listen to books on cd's. I have a television in my sewing room and most days it's just for background noise. But, once in a while I actually stop sewing and start watching - not a good thing for when you really want a quilt done. Hope your rainy day has not caused you to be down. I love cloudy, rainy days. Really puts me in the mood to get things done inside! Hope to get some sewing done today. I'm such a procrastinator. Oh, well, I have nothing but time these days so will try to do what I want. Hope to hear from you soon.

Susan
Old 11-01-2015, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by nancia View Post
this sounds like a very fun group! hope you have room for one more. i've moved to the philly area, but prior to that i lived 24 yrs in dallas. 2 of my kids, and all three grandgirls, live in the dallas area. as soon as my dh gives in and retires we will be hightailing it back to texas. i sure miss all the aspects! we are having a beautiful fall here. vibrant foliage, crisp clean air, and the holidays approaching. i am working on a wedding quilt for my daughter in Summer Breeze II and 3. i have a digitized quilt to make, and it should be priority, but just isn't. i have too much of everything, except energy. i also make doll clothes for my girls, and my own 18" dolls. and we just adopted a rescue havanese mom from a puppy mill. she is just delightful, and she is working hard to get me potty trained. who would guess a lick on your eye would be the signal??? lol. her name is bunny and i am quite smitten, so much so, that i have made her 3 jackets: one for rain, one for warmth, and one for more formal occasions.this is my first toy dog, so anyone who has one, feel free to offer advice! she is very different from my cocker spaniel! ok, what i need most is an encouraging kick in the butt to get me moving on all the quilts i need to/want to make. i do mostly loud and fun quilts. oh, i'm either 17 and some months, or i'm 64, your choice! time for bed now, but will check in again later. ttfn!
Nancia I had to look up havaesse dog as I've never heard of them. My Yorkie is the love of my life and I have not had him a year yet. It's amazing these little critters can steal our hearts away so easily. I just bought a pattern today to make him a selection of coats for these colder months.
Looking forward to seeing pictures of your quilts and your puppy.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:25 PM

Hi Susan and Nanette,
I'm in College Station. Nice to meet you both. I have a Janome and am a beginner/intermediate. Love thirties prints and am hoping to begin taking a class based on the Farm Girl Vintage book that's being offered at our local quilt shop. Hello to everyone else in Texas and other states/places.
Have any of you gone to the Quilt Show in Houston this week?
Lynn

Last edited by Snipsnscraps; 11-01-2015 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:59 AM

Hello everyone

Quarter to ten Monday night here. No rain today even though the forecast said there would be. I love weather too Sue and am dreading summer and the relentless heat. My ancestry is Irish so I have very fair skin and was a redhead, faded somewhat now though.

Quilt show in Houston? In my dreams Lynn. The best I can do is Canberra, our National Capital, I'm afraid.

I am stitching binding tonight as we watch TV and really like this final step when the quilt starts to look finished. I will post a picture when it is finished. Back to some concentrated FMQ practice tomorrow.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:39 AM

Hi Texas_Sue yes I plan on going with my friend. We have gone together for the last few years. Are you going?
Old 11-02-2015, 12:17 PM

I've missed the Houston show three years in a row now due to family commitments�� Hoping I make it next year at least my credit was saved from a lot of sliding back and forth lol
Old 11-02-2015, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Texas_Sue View Post
Betty, I, too, will never outlive all the quilts I would like to make and the fabric stash I have. I am so glad you posted.

Susan
That's called SABLE

S tash
A ccumulated
B eyond
L ife
E xpectancy