Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Gramma's Sampler has begun!! Final Pictures Page 7 >

Gramma's Sampler has begun!! Final Pictures Page 7

Gramma's Sampler has begun!! Final Pictures Page 7

Old 01-04-2009, 06:42 PM

Melissa, your grandmothers quilt is going to be spectacular! Thank you so much for bringing us along on your journey and sharing your precious memories.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:42 PM

As promised, here is block 7! Again, I have no history for this particular block, but it does have a story. May I present GRANDMOTHER'S CHOICE. This was the most difficult of the pieced blocks.

I fell in love with this block when I saw it at www.quilterscache.com where all of these patterns come from. I didn't realize until I was hooked that it was a 10" block. All of the rest of my blocks are 12". Other friends insisted that I just hit the 12" button and just look at those, but I really wanted to make this one. I didn't think about how hard it would be, all the biased stuff, changing the sizes or anything. I just thought it was so pretty I had to make one.

Another gal on this site made a 12" Grandmother's Choice block for her gran's quilt as well. She was kind enough to send me some measurements made by our friend ShellyQ and I was on a role. It did take me, quite a while, to figure out the measurements to start with strips instead of cutting individual pieces. That actually took me a very long time to do. I also tried for hours to come up with the measurement that the corner units should be after they are pieced. I couldn't do it. I just was glad they were all the same size. Math hurts my brain.

I got to talk to Gramma a bit today. Not long and our conversations are getting shorter and shorter, but she did sound ok. I even talked to her about the math hurting my brain and she chuckled. Best thing I heard all week. I chalk Gramma's laugh right up there with cute muddy/greasy handprints, butterfly kisses, and I love yous from the kids. I was glad this one turned out so well. If I've learned anything out of this sampler, it's that slow and steady win the race. I was meticulous, and very slow, but all of my seams are JUST shy of 1/4". I think I may have discovered scant, however I do know that scant disappears with the heaviness of my foot on the pedal.

Enjoy all!

[IMG]http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...hersChoice.jpg[/IMG]

p.s. p.s. The next/final two blocks have applique on them and I'm not even done cutting all the pieces yet. I need 17 pieces cut for one and 9 for another not counting the background pieces. Will post as soon as I can, but I know it'll be a few days. And my table is chocolate brown, not green. Not sure why it was green in the pics, but the petunias and pinks are right on.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:23 PM

OOOH, that is a gorgeous block. And to think you went from a 10-inch to a 12-inch block !! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 01-04-2009, 11:50 PM

Your progress is wonderful. I just love each & every block so far.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:24 AM

This is going to be a wonderful quilt. I am glad you are journaling for your gramma and hope you added the part about your conversation with her. Can't wait to see this all together. Thank you for sharing your stories as well as the blocks.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
Today was the last day for Winter Break. I think the kids knew it too as they fought from the moment they got up until about 2 seconds ago when I broke up the last one. Sometimes I could just throw up my hands. They were just all equally horrible today. I have the same motto my mom did though. Tomorrow is a new day, completely different than the one left behind, and the one to come. She erased my slate when I went to sleep every night. And I was NO angel!!
Aren't your kids your parents revenge?

I LOVE that you are documenting this! It will mean a lot to your grandma, but like Sandpat said, this will be great for others down the road. To me it would bring a real person to life that I have a hard time imagining otherwise. I think that's why a lot of us quilters like those Jennifer Chiaviarni (sp?) books. It really brings a quilt to life.

I did not appreciate the homemade things my Dad's Mom made for us in the sense of realizing what effort went into it. I loved them because she made them, but it would bring her back to imagine the steps she took, what kinds of things interrupted her, etc.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:40 AM

I think, by the time I get this all "F*******", there may be a pamphlet to go with it as opposed to a simple letter. I thought, with Gramma's Alzheimer's that I could talk about the quilt safely and she'd forget about it. She remembered it for 3 weeks before she forgot! She didn't remember it yesterday. I won't bring it up again as I want her to be surprised, but it sure was nice getting her opinion in the moment! I never did tell her it was for her. Just a lapsize thing to make so I can try out my new lap hand frame.

Your comments are all so wonderful! My kids aren't necessarily my parent's revenge, but it depends on what my gramma has to say. However, I have often told my husband that my kids are HIS parent's revenge and I think he should be home a few days a week to appreciate my circumstances. He chuckles as if I'm joking!

Will post when I get more accomplished.

M
Old 01-05-2009, 01:51 PM

[quote=mpeters1200]I think, by the time I get this all "F*******", there may be a pamphlet to go with it as opposed to a simple letter. I thought, with Gramma's Alzheimer's that I could talk about the quilt safely and she'd forget about it. She remembered it for 3 weeks before she forgot! She didn't remember it yesterday. I won't bring it up again as I want her to be surprised, but it sure was nice getting her opinion in the moment! I never did tell her it was for her. Just a lapsize thing to make so I can try out my new lap hand frame.

Your comments are all so wonderful! My kids aren't necessarily my parent's revenge, but it depends on what my gramma has to say. However, I have often told my husband that my kids are HIS parent's revenge and I think he should be home a few days a week to appreciate my circumstances. He chuckles as if I'm joking!
Somehow I goofed on this one. I did sign up for a computer class. So it won't be long before I'll be knowing what I'm doing on this 'puter. My message starts with the M.
M,
Ha! The yoke's on him -- He just doesn't get it, huh. I know. Same here. And when he does get it (or so he thinks), He is so proud of himself.
Remember Women are from Venus and Men are From Mars. :lol:
I like what you said, "...in the moment." It's so awesome when they are WITH you in the moment. And those moments when they are NOT with you, just cherish the moment and make them feel safe and loved. GBY.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:56 PM

I really goofed on this last post. Please excuse my ignorance. The more I tried to correct it, the worse it got. Seems I got my message tangled up in M's quote. Sorry. It's in there somewhere. :oops:
Old 01-05-2009, 06:35 PM

I still got it though...thanks!