Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast

Thread: A group OBW with the Floral Master Fabric

I made a quilt with pandas on it and I have some cute panda fabric in my stash,,,Pandas are so cute!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by daisey
    I made a quilt with pandas on it and I have some cute panda fabric in my stash,,,Pandas are so cute!
    Have you got 6 repeats? Would it work? Could you bring yourself to disect those pandas? LOL I did it to chickens once and it worked great! :D

Blog Entries
    Oh, pandas would be interesting!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Hmm, Now I need to decide whether to do the Floral Master fabric in Octogons rather than hexs. I guess it will depend on whether I can get a kaleido ruler at JoAnns or my LQS. But not today. I'm still fighting my cold, although I am back home.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    Hmm, Now I need to decide whether to do the Floral Master fabric in Octogons rather than hexs. I guess it will depend on whether I can get a kaleido ruler at JoAnns or my LQS. But not today. I'm still fighting my cold, although I am back home.
    Oh glad you're home, take care of yourself! It would be fun if you did octagons to see the difference. :-D

Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    Oh, pandas would be interesting!
    Poor little pandas, all chopped up into pieces. :( Send me the scraps of any that remain unbutchered and I will let them live happy with lots of playmates in nice I Spy quilts. LOL

Awww, I hope you are better soon!! Lots of fluids!!!
    I didn't realize you need a special ruler for these? I made one before and I'm pretty sure I didn't have a special ruler for it. Does the special ruler just make it easier or something, or is it a must have?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wildyard
    I didn't realize you need a special ruler for these? I made one before and I'm pretty sure I didn't have a special ruler for it. Does the special ruler just make it easier or something, or is it a must have?
    OK, I just checked, and my regular ruler does have 45 degree markings on it, so I'm good to go. I was thinking I'd need a special 45 degree ruler, and you've saved me some money. Thanks!

Thanky Wildyard, I'm pushing the fluids as fast as I can. Now it's just tincture of time.

OK, I just checked, and my regular ruler does have 45 degree markings on it, so I'm good to go. I was thinking I'd need a special 45 degree ruler, and you've saved me some money. Thanks!

Thanky Wildyard, I'm pushing the fluids as fast as I can. Now it's just tincture of time.[/quote]

Way cool when you can save money on not buying something, now you can buy more fabric!!!

I thought it asked for a 90 degree ruler...I better read again...oh about the panda fabric its small pandas and wouldnt be good for a OBW...I am just using the floral master and hexagons for my 1st one.

Blog Entries
    Well, since she put it that way..."butchered pandas"..it kinda put me off on the idea, so I'm glad they don't have to be sacrificed!

Kind of scared you huh?

I received my fabric from GaiGai today and it is gorgeous! I am going to work hard to finish my WIP (memorial tee shirt quilt) so I can fully focus on my first OBW. I am a little nervous about it. I will get the 60 degree ruler K suggested. I am sure I will have many questions for you all!

Well, since she put it that way..."butchered pandas"..it kinda put me off on the idea, so I'm glad they don't have to be sacrificed!
    I do have a way with words, don't I? heehee

Quote Originally Posted by wildyard

Thanky Wildyard, I'm pushing the fluids as fast as I can. Now it's just tincture of time.
    The four scariest words in our house:
    I have been thinking ...
    Are you sure that the angle you want on your octagonal OBW is a HST? (45 degrees)?
    I remember seeing somewhere that in order to turn an octagonal block into a square, you put triangles on four corners .. if you make a HST, you don't need triangles on four corners to make it square - - it will, by design be square with 45 degrees ...
    maybe dh can help me figure out the degrees on the kalaidescope ruler I have ...
    I have been thinking .... what do y'all think?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by omak
    The four scariest words in our house:I have been thinking ...
    Are you sure that the angle you want on your octagonal OBW is a HST? (45 degrees)?
    I remember seeing somewhere that in order to turn an octagonal block into a square, you put triangles on four corners .. if you make a HST, you don't need triangles on four corners to make it square - - it will, by design be square with 45 degrees ...
    maybe dh can help me figure out the degrees on the kalaidescope ruler I have ...
    I have been thinking .... what do y'all think?

Well, let's figure this out. A circle is 360 degrees. Divided by 8, you get 45. So each triangle will be 45 degrees. Now a HST is a right angle triangle, which is a 90 degree angle. Yes, two of the angles are 45 degrees, but the other is a 90 degree angle.

Blog Entries
    So...just to be clear...you are talking about making the octagon with the 45 degree marks, right?????? The regular hex tris would be different

k3n
    Blog Entries
    You can't use the 45 deg line on your ruler - it won't work as it's an isoceles triangle NOT an HST like Omak said. In the first book is a template you can trace onto plastic. I used the Marti Mitchell Kaleidoscope Ruler as I had it and it does make it easier. I can change the block size easily too if I like. Maybe trace off the template for the first one to see if you like the process before investing in the ruler? Though I think it's worth having anyway as you can also make blocks such as crossed canoes with it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    So...just to be clear...you are talking about making the octagon with the 45 degree marks, right?????? The regular hex tris would be different
    The regular Hexs are 60 degree equilateral triangles cut from strips and can be turned any which way. The Octos are obtuse triangles with one 45 degree angle cut from parallelograms and can only be placed one way.

OMG, I can't believe I remember that much of my high-school math! ROFLMAO

Edited, to agree with K3n. You make a parallelogram and then cut the tris.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    That is correct. The regular Hexs are 60 degree equilateral triangles cut from strips and can be turned any which way. The Octos are obtuse triangles with one 45 degree angle cut from parallelograms and can only be placed one way.

OMG, I can't believe I remember that much of my high-school math! ROFLMAO
    Me either! FINALLY it's useful! :lol: :mrgreen:

Hey Hey Hey...Stop Bragging...I am just a dumb quilter and proud of it...LOL

Blog Entries
    OMGosh! I didn't "get" that math back in high school and certainly can't wrap my teeny tiny brain around it now!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    OMGosh! I didn't "get" that math back in high school and certainly can't wrap my teeny tiny brain around it now!
    I didn't 'get' it until I started quilting seriously! If it's a shape on paper, bleuwch! If it's cut out of fabric, it makes perfect sense! It's like those formulae from school - gobbledegook! But the formulae to work out cutting measurements for HST or setting triangles for on point blocks? A thing of beauty! :-D

wow great fabric choice!

Ditto!

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast