Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 22 ... LastLast

Thread: A group OBW with the Floral Master Fabric

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsMoe4487
    I found this floral master fabric at walmart today...4.44/yard..so if anyone else is looking for it check there too!
    Well crap...I can't believe y'all got me thinking about the Octo one :oops: I really need a purple and orange quilt for one of my brothers.

I have moved around my hexs and I am really liking the layout that I'm getting :). This top will be done in a couple of days!

Now, what sucks is that I JUST sold a kaleido ruler on here about 2 weeks ago :shock: .Thinking I would NEVER have a use for it again.....

I'm working on a kaleido quilt right now but it is not really cut to be a kaleidoscope as much as it was for the circles and stars that emerge. I used my accuquilt cutter for it, but that would be harder for this...probably down right impossible...lol. Guess I'll have to use the template if I do this one.

I finished a ton of UFO's for Christmas so this actually feels really good to get several projects started all at once again... :lol:

I will let you know if I find it at our Wal-mart here. And I'll post pictures of my progress on the one I'm finishing up, plus the original fabric. I finally found the piece that I had left. It really wasn't a good choice. Says right in the book to NOT use big floral...duh, but it is an Asian print and I fell in love with the vibrant colors.

Anyway, thanks for letting me hang around. Y'all are infectious!!! (your enthusiasm :) )

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jtapp9
    I will let you know if I find it at our Wal-mart here. And I'll post pictures of my progress on the one I'm finishing up, plus the original fabric. I finally found the piece that I had left. It really wasn't a good choice. Says right in the book to NOT use big floral...duh, but it is an Asian print and I fell in love with the vibrant colors.

Anyway, thanks for letting me hang around. Y'all are infectious!!! (your enthusiasm :) )
    You can use a big floral, but if it has a lot of empty background space it would be better to cut your strips bigger, thus making bigger hexs.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    You can use a big floral, but if it has a lot of empty background space it would be better to cut your strips bigger, thus making bigger hexs.[/quote]

Yes - and maybe these days I do it octagons. Bummer about your template. Thanks for calling us 'infectious' - I think! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's good to have YOU around too. :-D

Blog Entries
    Here is my original fabric. The problem with my big floral is that when you have 6" flowers on the original fabric, when you do the hexs guess what you end up with? 6" flowers...lol. i know they are still different, but I don't think I get as dramatic as an effect.

Also, my progress so far on this OBW. I have most of the left side done in small sets. The right is still pinned in hex's. I think I'm done swapping and am pretty satisfied with the layout. I believe I'm going to put a skinny creme border to bring out that tiny bit of creme in the upper left corner. On the bottom slightly left of center, those gold henscratches...there is coordinating fabric with just that. It's going to be my binding. Not really sure about anything else.

And LOOK what I found at Wally World :)
    Name:  Attachment-131344.jpe
Views: 34
Size:  80.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Oooh, Julie, I think your OBW looks GREAT!! That is obviously a great fabric for OBW's, and it's looking good. I know THE OBW QUEEN will agree! :mrgreen:

Blog Entries
    Julie...the layout rocks! I love it and I really like the idea of the little cream border...that will make it pop! And lucky you...found that gorgeous fabric!

Hi imjustme, so happy to see you got your's started. Looks really good so far. Keep posting pictures. Love to see as you go results. And how you decide to arrange the different colors.

Wonderful pictures everyone is posting!! I love them all!!!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Oooh, Julie, I think your OBW looks GREAT!! That is obviously a great fabric for OBW's, and it's looking good. I know THE OBW QUEEN will agree! :mrgreen:
    Who would that be then? :mrgreen:

Julie I take your point about the flowers BUT I think it really truly works because you've split out the colours thereby changing the fabric completely (and improving it IMO!) Your border ideas sound great to me and YOU FOUND OUR FABRIC!!!! Hooraaaayyyyyyy!!!!! :-D :-D :-D :lol:

I could look at OBW's all day long..Thank you for posting. I have the book, ruler and 5 yards each of four different fabrics I thought would be perfect for it. I have yet to start.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I was just reading the thread "Is there a quilt you will never make" and have been surprised to see OBW listed as often as it is. I LOVE them!!

And YES, you know who you are, Your Royal Highness!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Who would that be then? :mrgreen:

Julie I take your point about the flowers BUT I think it really truly works because you've split out the colours thereby changing the fabric completely (and improving it IMO!) Your border ideas sound great to me and YOU FOUND OUR FABRIC!!!! Hooraaaayyyyyyy!!!!! :-D :-D :-D :lol:
    I have to admit that having a design wall (YAY!!!) to hang it on and really get the chance to move it around and play with it for a few days has made a BIG difference in the way I feel about it now. I was really ready to give these blocks away and never try it again!

Yep, the fabric was at my Wal-Mart! I forgot to see how much to get so I ended up with 4 yrds. I figured that would at least give me a decent center piece. I forgot though that I will need the squares too for the octogons. I may go back and get some more in the next few days before it's gone. It's really a beautiful fabric! Won't even start cutting this one until I finish the other top. I have a couple other projects that I am working on at the same time so I don't want to get things mixed up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wildyard
    Doesn't that tablecloth and hanger thing work great? lol, Wow, your original fabric must have been beautiful. What great colors in your blocks. I think it's amazing with these OBWs how simply turning the photo changes the look so much. I really like how it looks with the door frame to the left. Smiles
    I ended up using an old blanket, but it has been AWESOME!! I never realized how much I was missing in getting to see the block up in front of me! And this IS a great idea! I knew there was a reason I was keeping those clippy hangers..lol.

That quilt probably will end up pretty much oriented in that second way. Except maybe the opposite flip. That cream will either be the bottom left or top right because of the width I'm ending up with.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    I was just reading the thread "Is there a quilt you will never make" and have been surprised to see OBW listed as often as it is. I LOVE them!!

:mrgreen:

Each to his own I guess - some prefer the more traditional designs, me, I like EVERYTHING!!! And I wanna make it ALL! Though as I've gone on, my tastes have got more contemporary. I like the freedom of design I have with some of the newer techniques. Ooooh, controversial, better not go on that other thread! :-D

Julie, go and cut that Floral Master! Be a multi WIP girl, like me! :lol:

Blog Entries

I could have probably put my name on that list...lol. I did it because it was a class and I wanted to learn how to make quilts. But seriously, until I found this thread I already knew that I would NEVER make another one :roll:

They are artistic quilts, and scary to think of doing. They challenge you in more ways then just picking a nice pattern and fabrics that will give great traditional quilts.

I probably will always consider myself a Traditionalist, but when amongst the right people to keep encouraging me, I don't mind stepping outside the box a little 8-)

This reminded me of how I got pushed out of my box. It was marked in big black letters, " I CAN'T!!". I was sure I didn't have an artistic bone in my body and that there was not one talent lurking anywhere within me.
    Then I had the great good fortune to marry DH and meet the wonderful lady who then became my DMIL. She didn't believe in CAN'T. She was a fabric artist who did hooked rugs and could sew anything. She also taught ceramics and made wonderful dolls; her painting was lovely.
    And everytime I said I can't, she said, "Oh sure you can!", and stuck the needed items in my hands. Her praise was lavish as she pointed out the ways to improve my efforts. I hardly realized she was teaching me.
    Soon, I stopped saying I can't and learned to say I'll try. Now I just jump in with both feet and give things my best shot.
    Ma is gone now, but she gave me so much while I had her. I never knew when I got DH, that I was also getting the most precious gift in this life.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    She sounds like my Granny, Linda - who had the same philosophy that there's no such word as 'can't'. Liberating, isn't it?

She sounds like my Granny, Linda - who had the same philosophy that there's no such word as 'can't'. Liberating, isn't it?
    LOL, it sure is, it only takes one visit to my Scrappy WIP thread to see just how liberated I have become!! LOL

Here's the thread link if anyone is interested in checking it out:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-95527-1.htm

oh this will be fun to watch.. I am excited to see what you all come up with... :D

Blog Entries
    Nobody has made any progress? I have gotten about half of my other one done. I'll post some new pics soon. I can't start the new one until this top is done. I already have too many things going....and I can think of 3 more that NEED to get started besides the next OBW. OMG where did all my time go!

I wish my fabric is still not in..I called and they said there was no way of checking on it...does anyone out there work for Joannes who can help or conform this? I am getting really anxious since its paid for!

I may go over to walmart and check on it!

Blog Entries
    I wanna see pics!!!! These shippers must be really slow!!

me too like the quilt for my daughters bed and about 20 ufos...why am I starting another? ,,,,Because I can! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by wildyard
    LOL, it sure is, it only takes one visit to my Scrappy WIP thread to see just how liberated I have become!! LOL

Here's the thread link if anyone is interested in checking it out:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-95527-1.htm
    Linda, that is one of the prettiest scrappy quilts I have seen. What a wonderful gift for your sister. Thanks for sharing it!

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 22 ... LastLast