Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: A group OBW with the Floral Master Fabric

Blog Entries
    I love the colors on that one...it does really look like sanddollars...very pretty!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by daisey
    so if I want to make a queen size..about five yards and how many strip sets should I cut then? I know adding borders will make bigger but just approximatley how many strip sets?
    Measure what you have and then decide how much bigger you want it. For example: if it took 5 strips (of the layered material) to make what you have right now, and youvdecide you want it twice as big, cut 5 more strips. If you want it about half as much more, cut 2 or 3 more strips. It is entirely up to you.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Julie that is looking fantastic. I'm always amazed at how much better the effect is once eveything is sewn. :-D

Daisey I'm sooo pleased you managed to rescue your fabric! To add to what Gai said, each strip set yields around 18 - 19 hexagons and they finish (if you cut the 3 3/4" standard as stated in the book) at around 6" across (though they're not square)

As this is a 12" repeat, one set of repeats gives 3 sets, ie 57 hex blocks. This would take 2 yards of fabric. If you cut double repeats, you'd get 6 strip sets yielding 114 hex blocks and it would take 4 yards. I would do the latter, then with borders, build it out to queen size. When you cut double repeats though, you're likely to get duplicate hexagon blocks so you might have to play around with the orientation as described on p 29 (of this first book) :-D

This is my finished queen size top. DH couldn't reach any farther so hope you can see it all. Wish I had more of the original fabric for one of the borders but had to improvise once I decided it should be a queen. It was darker than I thought it would be but the gold brightens it up. If and when I ever get it finished, the backing will be brown and I have two more hexagons to applique somewhere.

corner
    Name:  Attachment-141405.jpe
Views: 64
Size:  57.7 KB

queen top-sideways
    Name:  Attachment-141406.jpe
Views: 64
Size:  68.9 KB

So you are saying cut about 4yrds of repeats or 6 strip sets? Ok sounds good...I dont care too much if I have repeats,,,who will really notice with 114 hex's...LOl

I like it...its not too dark...its very rich looking to me...the turquoise brightens it up!

Blog Entries
    Marsha, that one is beautiful! Great job adding the turquoise!

This is awesome! I believe the turquoise fabric brings it out. Cannot wait to see how you are going to quilt it. Again, fabulous job!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Wow! That is beautiful Marcia. And yes it DOES come up darker than you'd think but I like the rich effect. Half my rows are pieced (mine is much smaller - ONLY 57 hexes LOL) buit I've been naughty and started playing with my Block Bender already so it's been pushed to one side! LOL

Blog Entries
    I have 4 seams left to sew and press to have my original top (pictured) done. Well, the hex part anyway :).

I think I will start cutting the new fabric sometime this week. I'm making this one an octagon quilt. I have the accuquilt go cutter for these blocks. I'm working on one of them right now. I think if I'm very careful in cutting my strips and keeping my layers straight I am going to be able to use the die cutter to do this. My blocks will end up quite a bit bigger than the standard "book" blocks...but that just means I won't need as many :).

Looking forward to starting this one next and blending the blocks with those square centers. It took me a couple of reads to really understand that concept...felt like a "duh" moment when I finally GOT it....hahaha

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gramto4
    This is my finished queen size top. DH couldn't reach any farther so hope you can see it all. Wish I had more of the original fabric for one of the borders but had to improvise once I decided it should be a queen. It was darker than I thought it would be but the gold brightens it up. If and when I ever get it finished, the backing will be brown and I have two more hexagons to applique somewhere.

Ohhhh that is SO pretty!! Yes it is dark but that teal really brightens it up a lot!

Now I'm really excited :). I want to subtley bring out the orange and purple in mine!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jtapp9
    I have 4 seams left to sew and press to have my original top (pictured) done. Well, the hex part anyway :).

I think I will start cutting the new fabric sometime this week. I'm making this one an octagon quilt. I have the accuquilt go cutter for these blocks. I'm working on one of them right now. I think if I'm very careful in cutting my strips and keeping my layers straight I am going to be able to use the die cutter to do this. My blocks will end up quite a bit bigger than the standard "book" blocks...but that just means I won't need as many :).

Looking forward to starting this one next and blending the blocks with those square centers. It took me a couple of reads to really understand that concept...felt like a "duh" moment when I finally GOT it....hahaha
    I'll be VERY interested to hear how the Accucut handles these Julie, and to see how bigger octagons affect the outcome. :-D

Okay y'all, I brought some fabric to try my at at this but I am confused. What size do I need to cut the fabric to start? I saw 12'' by 2.5 yds and I saw 3.5 yds and I saw 9''. So someone please help me out. I also saw someone cutting it in the corner. That confuses me. If I can start with a pattern from somewhere it would be helpful for me. Thanks a bunch, Sandi

The fabric is beautiful and the blocks are turning out great! Thanks for sharing the pics :)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandi Furtado
    Okay y'all, I brought some fabric to try my at at this but I am confused. What size do I need to cut the fabric to start? I saw 12'' by 2.5 yds and I saw 3.5 yds and I saw 9''. So someone please help me out. I also saw someone cutting it in the corner. That confuses me. If I can start with a pattern from somewhere it would be helpful for me. Thanks a bunch, Sandi
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-35685-1.htm
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-36954-1.htm
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-36316-1.htm

tip toe through hexagons Cutie style ... cutting, layout, assembly

Blog Entries
    The hex top is done! I have to admit though, once I turned it the direction it is supposed to be, I'm not really feeling it anymore :(

I've always pictured the upper left light wandering down to the lower right red. i'm left handed and I guess the left to right just "flows" better for me. I have to get used to this new look :?

Anyway, I'm still proud and happy that I finished it finally!! :thumbup:
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am left-handed and I followed the flow of the darks! It looks wonderul to me!

I think it came out great.

I really think the colors are unusual...So I love it!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandi Furtado
    Hi Sandi, we're working from the technique described in the books by Maxine Rosenthal. The first book One Block Wonders tells how to select, layer and cut your fabrics and how to cut and assemble either the hexagons or octagon blocks. The second two books One Block Wonders Encore and One Block Wonders Cubed concentrate on the hexagons and introduce the 3D cubes. They also give more ideas for borders, settings, using more than one fabric etc. In my opinion, you need at least one of these books not only for the cutting and piecing instructions but also for all the tips on getting the design layout right - this is where I think most ppl come unstuck. :-D If you can't find them locally they're available on Amazon.com. :-D

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Julie I love it, I think it flows really well. Now anxious to see what you come up with for the borders. :-D :-D :-D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Julie I love it, I think it flows really well. Now anxious to see what you come up with for the borders. :-D :-D :-D
    Glad you like it. i've heard rumors that you are the Queen of OBW so your opinion means a lot to me :wink:

My border will probably just be strips. I love red and that is why I chose this fabric to begin with. To me, when I turned the top "I" lost the red POP that I was feeling before...sooooo...I think I will put a skinny cream border, then a little bit wider red (to match) border, then finish to size with black. I have the coordinating black fabric with little gold 'twigs' on it that I'm going to use for binding and I have a black that has a very faint circle design in it that I feel would work awesome for the back. Although I've been thinking of switching the back to a khaki/tan color that would match the front.

I'm probably going to let it rest for a few days. I've worked a bunch on it lately and I need a rest from it :lol:

I'm ready to start cutting the floral fabric! Did you cut your strips WOF? I notice it has a staggered repeat on the WOF and didnt know if that would make a difference.

I think I'm going to give it another shot of starch tonight then cut some strips. I'm going to try one strip in the accuquilt cutter. I keep forgetting I am doing EIGHT layers and that may not come out good in the cutter. Might be too thick. We'll see.

I guess this thread has been going a long time (24 pages of comments!), but I've just found it... I am in awe. This fabric is the prettiest OBW I've ever seen. Just beautiful!

I have to apologize for interfering on this thread.
    The very first post says that the book being referenced is
    One Block Wonder books by Maxine Rosenthal

This woman has done a lot of work making sense of this technique and has earned the right to sell her books.

Anyway, for those who don't know, a One Block Wonder or OBW is a kind of kaleidcoscope quilt similar to stack n whack. There is a Topic List here on the board and a brief description about them with details of the books here

http://www.quiltingboard.com/virtual_section_list.jsp

The above section was in the very first post of this thread, and I am so sorry that I posted some other threads that detracted from the stated purpose of this particular thread. If the administrator would remove my links comments, I would appreciate it, and again I apologize.
    It also was not my place to tell anyone where to get additional information ... I should have deferred to the author of this thread.

I agree by reading book it really helps.

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 ... LastLast