Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 ... LastLast

Thread: A group OBW with the Floral Master Fabric

This was the white elephant my friend got a couple of weeks ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think that is absolutely gorgeous. I am still looking for some fabric to do one for my granddaughter for her graduation gift.

Very Pretty..

Beautiful fabric --- good job!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Omak that is really pretty. It's the same technique as OBW but with the setting triangles TECHNICALLY it's stack n whack :mrgreen:. This way of setting hexes is in the Bethany Reynolds book Stacknwhackipedia. But of course it's easy enough to work out how to do from the OBW books as well - the two methods of construction are the same.
    Signed, Ms Pedantic xxx :mrgreen: 8-) :lol: :lol: :lol:

k3n
    Blog Entries
    PS Re the 'project' - I'm going to join my rows as soon as I finish the seascape quilt I'm working on (which I am NOT loving - it's not coming out like it looks in my head but anyway, I digress) Then I'll post and hope that Daisey has her fabric by then!

Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Omak that is really pretty. It's the same technique as OBW but with the setting triangles TECHNICALLY it's stack n whack :mrgreen:. This way of setting hexes is in the Bethany Reynolds book Stacknwhackipedia. But of course it's easy enough to work out how to do from the OBW books as well - the two methods of construction are the same.
    Signed, Ms Pedantic xxx :mrgreen: 8-) :lol: :lol: :lol:
    I remember these are the pictures of the stack and whack (clearly identified by the beginning quilter by a piece of paper in the box) that I thought was an OBW, but that you corrected me a few pages back ... but, golly, Miss Pedantic they are all just triangles :!: ;-) LOL

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by omak
    I remember these are the pictures of the stack and whack (clearly identified by the beginning quilter by a piece of paper in the box) that I thought was an OBW, but that you corrected me a few pages back ... but, golly, Miss Pedantic they are all just triangles :!: ;-) LOL
    I'm only teasing Omak, I hope you know that. :-D And in fact, I'm taking the mickey out of myself rather than you. (kiss) :-D

Quote Originally Posted by omak
    I'm only teasing Omak, I hope you know that. :-D And in fact, I'm taking the mickey out of myself rather than you. (kiss) :-D
    I knew you were teasing, and I tried teasing back, but alas! I just don't do humor well Now, you have to explain "taking the mickey out" - - I have never heard that one! I hope it doesn't mean that you were being critical of yourself cuz I see no reason for that at all!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Taking the mickey just means teasing really - don't know where it comes from. Think I'll google and see if I can find out. :mrgreen: It's funny how you take things for granted until someone questions you about it - it's usually Hans (my DH) who is Dutch and asks me the derivation of English expressions and I have to say 'I don't know'. And I don't like saying that - I like to be a know-all - hence why I was 'taking the mickey' out of myself! :lol: Are you still with me or have you gone off in disgust! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:

k3n
    Blog Entries
    :lol: :lol: :lol: Have just looked at Wickipedia and can't quote the meaning here. I never realised it was vulgar. Suffice it to say that it comes from Cockney rhyming slang which is a kind of speech used in London where a word is replaced by one it rhymes with. For eg the 'road' is known as 'the frog and toad' and often now abbreviated to 'frog'. 'Stairs' are 'apples and pairs' 'wife' is 'trouble and strife' and so on. They say this language was developed initially by gangsters as a kind of code to dupe the police but now everyone knows it - even non-Londoners like me. :-D

Blog Entries
    Hello all. Been checking out your pics & they look good.I did start another OBW.Have cut a couple doz blocks with the floral master fabric......
    Finally figured why I didn't care for my blocks.They all look the same.Yours have many patches of diff colors in your OBW,no matter what fabric is used.Mine is now a UFO :)

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plainpat
    Hello all. Been checking out your pics & they look good.I did start another OBW.Have cut a couple doz blocks with the floral master fabric......
    Finally figured why I didn't care for my blocks.They all look the same.Yours have many patches of diff colors in your OBW,no matter what fabric is used.Mine is now a UFO :)
    Pat, this fabric isn't really going to be one of those 'in your face' OBWs as the jewel tones do blend so well. I think it will be more a subtle beauty with the gold tones. Having seen your blocks, they don't look too different from mine - the layout intensifies the effect of the different colours. However I'm planning to embellish mine with some applique. The cubes would work too, as would some multiple different colour borders. I'm sad that yours is a UFO but look forward to seeing your other one. :-D

:lol: :lol: :lol: Have just looked at Wickipedia and can't quote the meaning here. I never realised it was vulgar. Suffice it to say that it comes from Cockney rhyming slang which is a kind of speech used in London where a word is replaced by one it rhymes with. For eg the 'road' is known as 'the frog and toad' and often now abbreviated to 'frog'. 'Stairs' are 'apples and pairs' 'wife' is 'trouble and strife' and so on. They say this language was developed initially by gangsters as a kind of code to dupe the police but now everyone knows it - even non-Londoners like me. :-D
    Clearly, wickipedia is not in the business of clarifying anything - - but, sure does use a lot of words to avoid it! LOL I would have to say that the mickey thing would not be one of my chosen responses for anything, but sometimes, my chosen responses aren't worth using, either part of my country charm, don't you know ..... LOL

Blog Entries
    Both are cousins in the same UFO pile :)

I'm sad that yours is a UFO but look forward to seeing your other one.

Beautiful. Can't wait to see the rest.

I went onto Joannes inwhich I am a big regular there and searched out one of the good ladies there. Told her my concerns and she started checking foir me. Gave me a call about an hour later and said supposedly its in her stock room somewhere? They unloaded it Thursday and had a bad truck unloader that day and is going to try and find on Monday. My luck someone put it out on the sales floor I will go check today...At least I know its there somewhere...

Blog Entries
    Well girls, I'm looking for pics!!!! I did find an education on "mickey" and lots of other London cockney...wife="trouble and strife" :shock:...surely you jset!!

Daisey, sure hope you find that fabric...

Blog Entries
    Heres my progress. First you must imagine this picture flipped to the right :). Because of the size of it hanging, it is technically on its side. That cream will end up beign the upper right corner.

As of now, hanging there, I have 5 rows on the left and 3 rows on the right sewed together. ALL of the strip sets are sewn into strips.

I have a lot of bubbles because I didn't know how wonderful starch is when I started this project :oops: . I'm just using massive blasts of steam for now to wrinkle the block up enough to cause the shape to lay flat within the quilt top. I'll probably iron those out when I go to qult it, simply because I know when it is washed it will have some shrinkage anyway, which will definately help wiht the bubbles :)

I'm excited to get this finished. It's amazing how different those hexes look sewed together compared to just being pinned!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I only bought 4 yrds of the floral fabric. Am I gonna need more? I would like my final quilt to be at least queen size, but the blocks really just need to cover the top of te mattress, 60 x 80. Guess I should check that out in the book...lol

Quote Originally Posted by jtapp9
    I only bought 4 yrds of the floral fabric. Am I gonna need more? I would like my final quilt to be at least queen size, but the blocks really just need to cover the top of te mattress, 60 x 80. Guess I should check that out in the book...lol
    I don't know how I happened across this formula, but I estimate a queen sized quilt at no less than five yards. Since I am a scrapper, it really doesn't matter how much I have of anything, but it has been consistent with me, no matter the pattern, just to put the quilt on the top of the mattress, no less than five yards. If you want it to hang over, I figure +20" on all four sides ... does that help you at all?

Ok so I got my fabric...here is the story. I told my friend I had a funny feeling my fabric was on the sales floor, so today I went in again and was looking for the positively pineapple ruler and decided on the way out to look quickly to see if I coukld find it...Sure enough there it was...I grabbed it and went to cutting table to tell them the story...they measured it and luckily no one had bought any and so I got to take the whole bolt home with me! Yeah! I will probably not get to start on it until next weekend...Its very pretty fabric..Whew I lucked out!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jtapp9
    Heres my progress. First you must imagine this picture flipped to the right :). Because of the size of it hanging, it is technically on its side. That cream will end up be in the upper right corner.

I'm excited to get this finished. It's amazing how different those hexes look sewed together compared to just being pinned!
    It's looking great!! It reminds me of an under-sea landscape with coral and sand and starfish and sea urchins. I love it!

As to size, that can be adjusted by how many strip sets you have, and then you can add borders to make it as much bigger as you like.

Good job!

so if I want to make a queen size..about five yards and how many strip sets should I cut then? I know adding borders will make bigger but just approximatley how many strip sets?

that is really pretty and soothing...it does look like sand dollars in some places!

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 ... LastLast