Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: I hope she will help a child with cancer

Blog Entries
    Thanks so much for all your comments and for taking the time to reply. I'm the one who gets the blessings in being able to know how to make these dolls. Our local small American Cancer Society is closing its doors December 17th for some reason, so I will have to depend on 'word of mouth' to know where and who to send the dolls out too after that date. Cajun, enjoy yourself and loved hearing from you again. It is always wonderful to meet new people and also talk with older friends. Hugs and buckets of blessings to all of you.

Vickey Stamps

Blog Entries
    Just to catch everyone up. Have ended up taking more than a month off with the dolls, but am returning mid January, hopefully. My brother is still undergoing chemo and half done now with it. He is undergoing some real hard things as a result. Just got 2 more units of blood 2 days ago, and his kidney's are 'stressed' so they gave him 2 liters of IV fluids to try to help with that. All further chemo delayed perhaps 2 weeks on accont of it all, and he returns for another kidney check this Monday.

Just wanted those following my cancer doll thing to know I am not finished by any stretch of the imagination with the dolls, and will keep making them. HOWEVER the local small office has closed its doors, due to budget problems, so now I must depend on people contacting me, as they find a need. I may extend the dolls to other children in trouble for different reasons. We will just see how it goes and keep on keeping on. Hope all of you out there are receiving buckets of blessings. God Bless and Merry Christmas to all.

Vickey

Paying it forward sometimes is the best grief relief. My Mom would have loved those dolls too. Blessings to you and all who receive them

Blog Entries
    For any following this topic, I wanted to let you know that my brothers chemo had been discontinued (half way point), as his platelets were too low, and thus .... him too weak to continue with it. They found a lump on his neck (on the back) and we are hoping it is not cancerous. If it is that will be his 4th cancer. The surgeon who put in the port for the chemo will remove the lump and have it biopsied. They see him this Monday. He will be scheduled as soon as he gets stronger for radiation which will be aimed at area where bladder once was. Any and all prayers that went forward on his behalf are still needed, and muchly appreciated. I have 3 boy dolls cut out and stuffed, and I plan to start sewing some clothes for them. I will then begin doing more girl dolls. Thanks to all of you for your support. You are wonderful people and a blessing to my life. Vickey Stamps

PS:

TO PAT: The package came from your Texas home yesterday, and I want to thank you. Your caring touches my heart and it all will be useful. I am blessed with lots of fabric with yours a very welcome additon. I will put it to good use. I made a 12 inch doll last week,and have another ready to make (not a flip doll) for the toddler size children if needed. These wear pantaloons, and a dress, and have hair. They look old fashioned and in part require hand sewing as they have small parts. Will send a picture in a few minutes. Kind of forgot how to do that, but will try.

Blog Entries
    She will be loved!

Blog Entries
    SORRY....have mislaid the pic of the small doll. Will send later if I can find it.

Thanks to all for your support.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rootyr
    She will be loved!
    Thanks for your reply. I always pray that my dolls will be of comfort to the sick children

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wordpaintervs
    Quote Originally Posted by rootyr
    She will be loved!
    Thanks for your reply. I always pray that my dolls will be of comfort to the sick children
    It is 1:25 a.m. and I have just finished a boy doll for kids with cancer (or serious or dibilitating illnesses). He is number 28 and hope you enjoy seeing him. He must be turned right to left or left to right to show each side of his face.

I hope you enjoy seeing him. One of my doll bodies broke its seams and frazzled so won't be good enough to send to the sick little ones, as I want them as perfect as I can make them. Therefore I am left with one more usable doll body, and several bodies otherwise are cut out and are ready for me to sew and stuff for these kids, one at a time. I only lack knitting the cap, and making a shirt and face for the next doll I will make tomorrow, then will go on to make some more girls, and perhaps more of the 12 inch old fashioned little dolls. We will see. Hugs to all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Do you know about the Bev's Angel Project out in Carmichael. Everything that we do stays in the community. I also live in Sacto. and we do all kinds of things for any of the hospitals and the kids at Christmas, etc. It is awesome to pay things forward. Kudos to you.

These remind me of the "holly hobby dolls". You are SEW wonderful! <3

Vicky if you pm me your address I have material I can send you for the dresses. I sew a lot of clothes and have left over material that would be great. Especially bright colors little girls love. I don't think I have any material to be used for the bodies but I will look. I think what you are doing is wonderful. Nancy

Blog Entries
    thanks for all the replies. I appreciate your taking time to read and respond to what I put on these topic pages. The boy dolls are 24 inches high and the girls are 21 inches high. It takes up to 12 hours per doll but quite satisfying to see them come to life, and a blessing to know a childs arms will hold and love them. Wish I could put a healing potion into them, but can only ask the Lord to bless the child and their friends and family that receive them. Again, thanks so much for answering back.

Vickey S.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wordpaintervs
    Just to catch everyone up. Have ended up taking more than a month off with the dolls, but am returning mid January, hopefully. My brother is still undergoing chemo and half done now with it. He is undergoing some real hard things as a result. Just got 2 more units of blood 2 days ago, and his kidney's are 'stressed' so they gave him 2 liters of IV fluids to try to help with that. All further chemo delayed perhaps 2 weeks on accont of it all, and he returns for another kidney check this Monday.

Just wanted those following my cancer doll thing to know I am not finished by any stretch of the imagination with the dolls, and will keep making them. HOWEVER the local small office has closed its doors, due to budget problems, so now I must depend on people contacting me, as they find a need. I may extend the dolls to other children in trouble for different reasons. We will just see how it goes and keep on keeping on. Hope all of you out there are receiving buckets of blessings. God Bless and Merry Christmas to all.

Vickey
    To amend somewhat the above, the ACS will not have to totally close their doors, due to budget problems as it has been arranged at least for now to give them a rent free basis, along with the phone service, so they may continue to help at least on a part time basis. Wanted you guys to know. The main manager has given me a cell phone number, so I can reach her with questions or get the dolls to her, or chemo caps, of which I need to make more. She also with her daughter and son in law normally help out iwth childrens church most Sundays at our small church, so I can drop them off with her there. Thanks all of you out there for prayers and the help you have sent from across the U.S.A. I'll be working on another doll in an hour or two. Take care out there

Vickey.

Blog Entries
    found the 12 inch doll. here it is. It inspired me to write a story about it of inspirational/spiritual fiction that some might enjoy, but not sure I'm allowed to put it here, so if you want a copy, you will need to pm me about it and I will do a copy and paste your way, or send an e-mail otherwise.

Thanks

You are one of God's special angels here on earth. May you always be blessed.

Blog Entries
    thanks. We of the world are surrounded by things that we have little if any control over. We live in a world of uncertainty and the unexpected is oft times the 'theme of the day.' Man's inhumanity to man is too often prevelent. The little things that others can do, help and that help is so very much needed.

While we humans are here, we can do things within our power as I try to do in my own small way, with whatever talents we have been given.

I knit, crochet, sew 4 sick kids (dolls and chemo caps) and write the inspirational mini short stories I hope will cause reflection and lift hearts up in thinking of the words and what they mean. I want to help in the little ways while I am able to do so. If you want a copy of my story that was inspired by the small doll, please let me know. The title of the short fictional is Sandra Annette Becca O'Shaunassey.

Thanks so much for those words. They mean so much. God Bless you and yours. If you type my whole name in the search tool, it will lead you to a few older stories of mine.

vickey Stamps

Blog Entries
    I just now finished the latest boy doll and will be going to work soon on some of the girl dolls.

I hope you enjoy the right to left view, or left to right..at any rate the boy doll wears two faces.

Hugs to all out there.

Blog Entries
    I just now finished the latest boy doll and will be going to work soon on some of the girl dolls.

I hope you enjoy the right to left view, or left to right..at any rate the boy doll wears two faces.

Hugs to all out there.

Blog Entries
    I am wondering if there are one or two of you out there that knit and may have old beanie caps (adult size) you could donate , that I could shorten the top on by machine and use for when I make boy dolls. Other than that, perhaps an inexpensive adult beanie pattern I can make. RIght now The ones I do aren't all that great, and think it may be cheap yarn and the wrong needles impeding my doing a better job....that and making up the pattern on my own (giggling) anyway, I would only need a total of half a dozen or so, over the next year (total 6) as most of the dols are girls. Thanks if you can help, and for caring if you cannot. Hugs too all. PM me if you'd like.

I saw your post for the first time tonight. Have you thought about muslin for dolls (skin type)? And if that type of material would work there are probably solid color fabrics that would be great for skin tones. If there is a Joann's or Hobby Lobby near you they often have 40% off coupons in the sunday paper. And you can also sign up online or in the store at JoAnn's to sign up for coupons in the mail. I didn't have time to read all the posts so I hope this isn't repeating someone else's suggestions.
    How large are the boy doll's heads in circumference? I knit hats for premie babies and found a few free patterns online for them. Lion's brand site has quite a few free patterns too. If you let me know the circumference I can try to locate a simple pattern for you and send it. I think your dolls are wonderful and I'm sure the children love them very much.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by starshine
    I saw your post for the first time tonight. Have you thought about muslin for dolls (skin type)? And if that type of material would work there are probably solid color fabrics that would be great for skin tones. If there is a Joann's or Hobby Lobby near you they often have 40% off coupons in the sunday paper. And you can also sign up online or in the store at JoAnn's to sign up for coupons in the mail. I didn't have time to read all the posts so I hope this isn't repeating someone else's suggestions.
    How large are the boy doll's heads in circumference? I knit hats for premie babies and found a few free patterns online for them. Lion's brand site has quite a few free patterns too. If you let me know the circumference I can try to locate a simple pattern for you and send it. I think your dolls are wonderful and I'm sure the children love them very much.
    2 children were laid to rest with their dolls. The circumference would be the same as a male adult, but probably 2 inches shorter for the flat head of the doll. They have a wide face. Thanks for the reply and suggestions. I appreciate them immensely. Hugs to you and yours.

Blog Entries
    my problem with the hats mainly lies in the fact they have a face on each side so literally there is neither front nor back and the hat has to allow plenty of room for the face on each side. I used muslim once but the thin is too thin, and always hope to get color balances so all cultures have a color to 'associate' with themselves if that is what they feel they need. The lady who usually destributes my dolls, told me the kids don't seem to care what color the doll has.

Blog Entries
    From a cancer survivor and retired nurse, what you are doing is really wonderful. And it is truly appreciated by the children who recieve the dolls. Bless you and the work you do.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ergranny46
    From a cancer survivor and retired nurse, what you are doing is really wonderful. And it is truly appreciated by the children who recieve the dolls. Bless you and the work you do.
    thanks. I hope they bring comfort and some positive thinking in some manner, as I am sure that will be of enormous help in the healing or overcoming process.

Vickey Stamps

Blog Entries
    I just finished making another 'little doll' plus clothes for one that needs stuffing. I have attached a picture showing 4 dolls (2 tiny) plus the pantaloons and dress for another little doll. I made 7 chemo caps so will deliver it all to the ACS soon. The little dolls will work nicely for tiny hands perhaps.

Hugs from Vickey Stamps to all you caring folks out there.

Next week will work on some bigger 'flip dolls'

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast