Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: I hope she will help a child with cancer

What a sweet thing to do. Your dolls are adorable, and I'm sure any little girl would treasure one.

Oh My....

Your dolls are fantastic and for such a worthwhile cause.

I think that you are doing such a wonderful thing.... I lost my mum and brother to cancer but it must be awful when it is a child that is affected!

Keep up the good work.

Hugs

JJC
    Quote Originally Posted by wordpaintervs
    Again....(See the chemo caps sending of a few days ago) is not exactly a quilt, but like the one cap, it is the use of mixtures of fabric and trim, sewn together for a purpose. This is number ten of the dolls for local kids with cancer, I have made. Each one seems to be a little different. This time I actually took wax paper and planned out a pattern I believe I will continue on using. She is a flip or reversable doll with a smile on one end and a nice dress, then on the other a nightgown and a smile.. She took almost 12 hours start to finish to complete. She is 21 inches tall. Two children so far were laid to rest with their dolls. I hope there will be no more. I am a retired nurse, writer, sewer, knitter, etc and will be 70 in just over a week. I've lost friends and family to cancer, and complications from Alzheimer's... so this type retirement project is a 'pay forward' thing.
    So love what you're doing. The dolls are beautiful and I'm sure a delight for a child to receive one. I can just picture a childs face light up when he or she receives one. May the Lord bless you always.

:)

Again....(See the chemo caps sending of a few days ago) is not exactly a quilt, but like the one cap, it is the use of mixtures of fabric and trim, sewn together for a purpose. This is number ten of the dolls for local kids with cancer, I have made. Each one seems to be a little different. This time I actually took wax paper and planned out a pattern I believe I will continue on using. She is a flip or reversable doll with a smile on one end and a nice dress, then on the other a nightgown and a smile.. She took almost 12 hours start to finish to complete. She is 21 inches tall. Two children so far were laid to rest with their dolls. I hope there will be no more. I am a retired nurse, writer, sewer, knitter, etc and will be 70 in just over a week. I've lost friends and family to cancer, and complications from Alzheimer's... so this type retirement project is a 'pay forward' thing.
    Cute dolls!

Blog Entries
    What a blessing you are to all those you have given of your time and placed a smile on their faces. The comfort you provide goes a long way, be a child or an adult. Hugs.

Blog Entries
    I just found out great news today today,on behalf of a well known club called the SOROPTOMIST CLUB. It is a small local one for my small town. It is composed of local business ladies. They ar having me and the American Cancer Society woman to lunch at a restaruant next month. I am going to use funding one of the ladies will give me tomorrow to make a patriotic doll that the club will use to raise money to fight cancer. I will bring the doll with me to the May meeting. I found material and ribbons of patriotic nature, plus those music buttons I can put in an arm on each side of the doll. I got the idea where to get all of it by going on-line. The button plays GOD BLESS AMERICA. I can hardly wait to get started. Wanted to share the good news. The club saw the last 3 dolls i made and got excited about what they could do to help, and I got a call. Aren't people great to help like that. Take care and thank you to all who have been replying to me.

Vickey Stamp,

those are soooo cute!! your a sweetheart!!

I still think you are wonderful, and the world needs more Vickey Stamps.

Wonderful project, great work.

Blog Entries
    the music buttons are out of stock and price for S&H far to high for $6 worth of patriotic ribbon, so will 'X' out the music and buy red, white and blue ribbons which will send the same message. No sleep face on this one, as when a country is free....IT NEVER SLEEPS.

Thanks so much for the kind replies.

Hugs to you and yours.

Vickey Stamps

Blog Entries
    the music buttons are out of stock and price for S&H far to high for $6 worth of patriotic ribbon, so will 'X' out the music and buy red, white and blue ribbons which will send the same message. No sleep face on this one, as when a country is free....IT NEVER SLEEPS.

Thanks so much for the kind replies.

Hugs to you and yours.

Vickey Stamps
    Here is a story I wrote today. Dedicated to all sick children in need of healing and comfort, but mainly because I sent little Georgia a doll. See her at the bottom of page 18 with her doll. I hope you like the story.

Vickey Stamps

A BIT OF COTTON
    © Vickey Stamps 4/27/11
    The cotton lay within the hard somewhat sharp container from which it had sprang forth. The day was warm. Having just been given birth, it looked all about itself, and at its parents, sisters, brothers and cousins, as they lay in their neat rows. They knew soon would come the pickers of cotton. Now it took a second look at its own frame. Had a bit of cotton been allowed to do so, it surely would have begun to cry. It was smaller than the rest; its stem was somewhat misshapen and bent, almost gnarled like in its appearance. It thought perhaps it would be left behind, never worth anything at all…of little if any service to mankind, for which it had been grown.
    “Do not fear, little bit of cotton.” Came a soft voice,from out of the air around it. “Out of little will come much. Never fear. You will serve a special purpose. Wait and you will see.” The cotton did its best to nod its little head in acknowledgement, as best it could, in the breeze that came to sooth and comfort it.
    Now the pickers had come, plucking the bit of cotton out of its container, tossing it into a long sack that trailed behind those hoping to earn enough to meet the needs of themselves and family. The small cotton plant had almost been overlooked, but at the last moment, the small bit of cotton was pulled forward and thrust into the long sack.
    Now the cotton was sent to a sorting factory. The small bit of cotton was removed from its larger family of cotton fluff as it rolled along a factory belt. Not it got tossed aside into to a separate container. Was it to be thrown away? Was it of no use? The cotton tried as best it could to roll away and into a deep section, near a corner. Perhaps no one would notice it, and it could continue on, even though its existence might be lonely. The box in which it had been thrown into was carried away.
    “Oh no!” thought the cotton of little importance. “I am to be called a ‘ second’ or something of lesser value. That means I can still serve, but perhaps no one will cherish me with this new title I am called.” Again, from where it did not know, the voice came once more “Have faith. Remember our conversation when you waited out in the fields, and felt yourself of little value? All will be well”
    Eventually in the process of becoming more, the cotton became fabric, stretched to its limit in all directions, with the yellows of sunshine, of clouds, of earth tones, of grass and all colors in between. Designs were pressed into its surface and it became quite pretty. Now, even as it perceived itself as something of lesser value, the cotton fabric sat, wrapped round and round, upon a cardboard bolt in a small store. It waited to see what would happen next.
    A lady came to the fabric clerk, explaining she made dolls for sick children, and might there be something she could afford, to brighten up a child’s life. She was brought to the selection of such as the bit of cotton, so lacking in faith in itself. “Oh my! This is just what I was looking for. It is just perfect. I can buy more of this then the more expensive cotton, and the child who gets it will never know or care. Instead of one doll, there shall be two dolls. “ The lady hugged the fabric to herself, taking it away to be cut to size, while she found ribbons to decorate the future doll and compliment its colors.
    Far away in another state, a young child lived each day in the love of her family. Blessed she was, for she had a loving family who did all they could to make each day important for her. She had been born with a bad heart and liver and had been through so much already, in her struggles to survive. Because of love and care from family and medical staff, she had lived to be almost three years old. She wasn’t the size of others her age, for her health had slowed her growth. She was a happy child. One of her family members heard of the lady who made dolls for children like theirs. and asked for a doll. Now it had arrived and would become a friend to her. “Just my size” she thought, and using her difficult to speak vocabulary, the little one named the cotton doll Sis. Where she went, the doll would also go. They would be a team.
    Who is to say in the solitude of quiet times of either day or night, that the still voice did not come to sit within and with the owner of the voice? Who is to say He did not sit upon the Childs bed and that of Sis? Who is to say He did not smile upon the doll, made from a bit of cotton thinking itself of little value?. Who is to say that peace and comfort did not come, that He who see’s and knows all, did not gather the small little girl and her Sis into His arms, sit with them in a rocking chair within the room, and croon a loving lullaby. Who is to say that in the middle of sorrow and tears, does not spring forth joy and happiness? Who is there of common sense….that could ever deny that….
    LIFE IS GOOD.

Vicki, thank you for taking the time to both write this and share it with us all.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lindyline
    Vicki, thank you for taking the time to both write this and share it with us all.
    Thanks for the reply and you are very welcome. I am told that little Georgia's doll goes where she goes. I can only hope it brings a lot of comfort her way.

Thanks again.

Vickey Stamps

Blog Entries
    I wanted to share the news that the latest three dolls were delivered to the lady who works for our small town and the neighboring one in Eureka, CA. She works for the American Cancer Society. She said that there were 3 little girls in need of a doll that have cancer and one little boy, so this week a boy doll will be created. I want to thank all of you out there who have helped so much and who follow me on this topic for your caring and all the prayers. I wanted to update you.

thanks again.

Vickey Stamps

Blog Entries
    the last 3 dolls I had posted, are on their way to live with 3 little girls in Eureka, CA. I quickly put together a boy doll yesterday as he was child number 4 to be diagnosed quite recently. I am sending the pictures. On the front of his sweat shirt he wears a patch of the "SNOOPY DOG'S Red Baron" with a smiley face, and the back of the doll shows a patch with a sleepy face and a teddy bear patch. This is doll 39. I hope they bring comfort to these precious children.
    Vickey Stamps
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    here is doll number 40. This and a soon to be sewn Patriotic girl doll are going to be used locally to raise money for fighting cancer. I hope you like this guy. I wish I'd had two 7 inch high flags, one for each pocket. I dont think flags will be available till Mid June. One pocket that I didn't get pic of had two hearts and a blue star on it. He is 24 inches tall. I have to have them ready by May 17th, so I can turn them in to the fundraisers (a local business woman's club) Turn the doll front to back to see different doll. This time no sleepy face for the patriotic dolls because....AMERICA NEVER SLEEPS!!!

Blog Entries
    You just made me cry, :"( I pray no more little girls must go see the lord with their dolls...

But Hey Angels are really enjoying them...

Thank you for giving yourself to this cause :)

brownie points in heaven

Blog Entries
    Thanks so much for that reply. I hope that each child is comforted by their doll in some form or another. That is all I ask.

Thanks again.

Vickey Stamps

Blog Entries
    The attached pictures will be the last for at least two weeks. My hands are becoming so sore (especially the right hand one from the sewing, knitting, etc) I may direct some time to my books I hope to get ready, and perhaps a short story or two. to share on the internet. At any rate, the patriotic dolls I have named Vickey's Pride. I think the local Soroptomist's club will be willing to auction, or raffle these two dolls off between now and July 4th (or Memorial Day) to help raise money for fighting cancer. They are both two in one dolls, with boy needeing turning front to back, and the girl's skirt flipped to show 'the other doll'. THe girl is 21 inches and the boy is 24. GOD BLESS AMERICA and God Bless you all.

Please wish us luck in raising money to fight that awful cancer, especially in the small children.

Vickey Stamps

Blog Entries
    cute dolls and congratulations

Blog Entries
    I have one half of another doll for a child with cancer finished and in 2 days will have the second half done. I just returned last friday from visiting with a brother (only sibling) I'd not seen in 8 years. He is in his 3rd and worse cancer battle. While there in Texas, I was given a small Serape (spelling??...like a rectangular poncho) by the owner of Herberts Taco Hutin New Braunsfels, Texas, after telling her I'd like to buy one like it for my dolls for kids with cancer. To make a longer story a shorter one, I piced up material there in town that would compliment it. It is as if this doll (#42) began its birth in Texas, because of the coincidence of it all. HOPING THIS MAKES SENSE. I am thinking that perhaps someone knows a small child in Texas with cancer who would want to receive this doll. If not, perhaps I will see if my Texas brother and his wife can find it a home. At any rate, I will send some pictures. I have yet to make the nightgown part of the doll. I'll do that over the next couple days. Anyway, I wanted to share this with those of you who have been following the doll making I've been doing. A local oroptimist club cut out and are stuffing 21 dolls for me to dress and two ladies are cutting doll dresses and nightgowns for me. (15 dresses so far) I will have to get busy again with all that help. Thanks to all of you for the encouragement. This makes doll 42 I am working on. July 1st they will have me draw the winning ticket on the 2 patriotic dolls that were put up to raise money for Relay for Life and raise money for fighting agaist cancer.

Vickey S.

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    Hey Vickey, love the recent dolls. I kinda lost track of ya there for awhile, glad to see you back. Keep up the good work.

Blog Entries
    it's great that you were able to touch bases with me again. Hope all is well with you and yours. Big hugs

Blog Entries
    it's great that you were able to touch bases with me again. Hope all is well with you and yours. Big hugs
    Hi Cajun, and whomever else is following the path the dolls are going. I am done with the 'Texas' doll, that will be named Lola.

This is the other half of the doll or the 'nightgown half'. I hope you enjoy seeing her.

Vickey Stamps

What a loving and thoughtful project you have going there! I too pray there will soon be no need for dolls for children with cancer.

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 ... LastLast