Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm upset...he didn't like it

Your wallhanging is beautiful. Retrieve it and hang it on your own wall. Some folks just don't appreciate the work that goes into such a project. We do :-) --Linda--

I thnk it is beautiful! You did a wonderful job on it, and should be proud of it, no matter what he thought! Just a question....how old is your dad? I know mine is older, and isn't the best at showing appreciation for things. I wonder if it might be the same in your case? Here's what mine did when I called him today. He will be 82 in October, and when I called and tried to talk to him to wish him a Happy Father's Day, he told me I needed to switch brands of toilet paper that I use! I got a laugh from it, but his comments didn't always make me laugh! I'm sorry he hurt your feelings, and hope he isn't always that way with you!

I am so sorry that your dad didn't appreciate your gift. Sometimes non-quilters don't understand how much of ourselves goes into every piece we make. Although at whatever age we are, we still want our parents' approval. However, don't let someone else dictate how you feel about your work - even your dad. You made it, you like it ... enough said!

Your quilt is beautiful. Sorry that your dad didn't like it and appreciate all the time and effort that went into it. next year, just get him a gift certificate for some store and see if he likes that. Keep your talents for those that you know will appreciate and enjoy them. You did an excellent job. I hope we are able to see more of your work in the future.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by taiboo
    LOL, he is 72 (will be in august) and this is just how he is, but he has never been that way with me.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
    How old is your father? Has he seen a doctor lately? Maybe he's not well?
    Maybe he has Alzheimer's Disease. My husband has just recently been diagnosed with AD and I've done a lot of reading on it and it can change his personality (anger etc.) Just a thought. If he has AD, it is not his fault and remember it is just his disease that is causing his rudeness and lack of appreciation for your hard work and kindness. Dani

Blog Entries
    I have a sister that would love it and she would have said thank you with a big hug and a kiss, you did a great job, just remember it was done with love

Maybe he just doesn't have the "eye" because I think it is gorgeous.

Go back and get it and keep it for yourself to be proud of. It is lovely. Try to put it behind you and forgive him. You'll feel better then.

Super Member Sheree from Chicago's Avatar
    I'm hurt for you. I think it was a beautiful Fathers Day gift!

Blog Entries
    After 18 pages of responses, there's not much I can add, except to say that I agree - you made a lovely and very patriotic quilt, and a loving personal gift - and anyone who did not like it just is not with the program.

We cannot make others as nice as we would like them to be, if they are not already that way.

Thank goodness for the folks on this board.

If this is very unlike him to say something this hurtful then maybe something medically is wrong with him. If this is normal for him it sounds like you should just say Happy Fathers Day and leave it at that. If he says where is he's present then say 'here I am'.

had my dad reject one of my gifts when I was a kid...still hurts. and I am 75. don't let it get you down. take the quilt home and find someone who will appreciate it. I think is a great quilt.

Some men can be such mindless oafs! :thumbdown:

I am so sorry to hear about his reaction. Sadly, it probably wouldn't help to tell him how badly he hurt you... if he is a "thinker" instead of a "feeler" he would not understand. When we cast our pearls before the swine of this world who don't understand or appreciate the time, work and love that goes into our offerings... we can only feel sorry for what they miss.

Unfortunately good thoughts do not a broken heart heal, do they?

It doesn't surprise me one bit. I've been there and I really, really feel for you. Everyone is right though. It is his loss. It is a shame he will never know it. My parents were like that though my father did change shortly before he died. It took over 80 years to get any decency from my parents and then it was just from one of them. Chin up, and know that it doesn't reflect on your quilting. One of the pitfalls of gift giving is that you never know how your gift will be received.

How old is your Dad? Health? It could be because of reasons unknown he would say such a terrible thing. It is beautiful! The first quilt I ever gave away, I have never seen again at a very good friends house. I am sure they don't even have it. Some people just don't appreciate the time, effort and love it takes to give such a beautiful gift. Don't stop, keep going. I am sure, at some point he will look at it and say, "My daughter made it" and have pride in his voice. Hugs X 10. It is a work of art, from you!

How old is your Dad? Health? It could be because of reasons unknown he would say such a terrible thing. It is beautiful! The first quilt I ever gave away, I have never seen again at a very good friends house. I am sure they don't even have it. Some people just don't appreciate the time, effort and love it takes to give such a beautiful gift. Don't stop, keep going. I am sure, at some point he will look at it and say, "My daughter made it" and have pride in his voice. Hugs X 10. It is a work of art, from you! If you don't see it, just go back and get it. Keep it for yourself and remember it was your first one you machine quilted. YOU SHOULD BE VERY PROUD OF WHAT YOU ACCOMPLISHED.

Blog Entries
    It's perfect. And I love it.

I'm sorry! Your wall hanging is lovely and you should be very proud of your thoughtfulness and your nice work on this project. DON"T let this incident stiffle your your creativity or your productivity....you did a good thing..your father may learn to be gracious and appreciative someday but try not to harbor too much disappointment at his shortcomings. I'm sure he's re-thinking his reaction to your gift and is probably sorry to the bone that he was ..so insensitive. HUGS

I usually make a quilt for someone...think of them while I pick the pattern, fabric. Think of them while I'm making it. I can't wait for them to receive it. I have been disappointed more times than not when giving a gift of a quilt, so now I'm more selective re who I make quilts for. I gave a baby quilt to a relative many years ago...I went to visit their home a few months later and entered the house through the garage and saw the stained, nasty quilt in the greasy rags box. So when she had more babies, she did not receive another quilt from me. As other relatives have babies, I continue to make them quilts...this particular gal is clearly angry that she never received any more...but I don't have the nerve to tell her why. I expect my quilts to used and make them sturdy enought to endure many, many washings...but to use it as a grease rag...I don't get it.

soo sorry that happened to you! I think it is awesome & I would be proud to display your quilt in my home!

Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedog
    You know I think we all have had that happen to us. But when that happens to me. I think of the vetrans and watching many of them be given a quilt and some actually
    cry with happiness. If I were you, I would take it back and
    give it to a vetran. Your cup will runnith over I promise you. If you look up Quilts of Valor on the inernet you will find one in your area. Just know you did a great job and your heart was in the right place. It just hurts worse when
    it is family.
    ditto

lot s of hugs. men just don't get it! it is realy nice you did a good job. go back and get the quilt. keep your art work and keep on quilting!

Blog Entries
    i sorry you was hurt i didn't know my dad but my step father i made him a navjo afhgan lost the pattern so he would measure it every time i went over with it and said it was not big enough when i finally found my pattern notice it was bigger then it should be after i got it done he put it on his bed said perfect it fit the end of the bed to the middle of the pillow my mom was mad cause his was bigger then hers but when he pass it went with him i did make my first quilt to mom and she love it and they put it with her . but when my sister saw mine i did for mom she said were she live they do better quilting then i do i told her that was my first one so i know people can say something that can hurt you just know we all think it good

I agree - go back and get it and either keep it or give it to someone who would appreciate it. I can't imagine a parent being that unfeeling especially on Fathers Day.

I feel so bad for you, the hanging is beautiful and you did a great job, never would know it was your first. It's a shame Dad didn't appreciate it more. Sometimes men especially just don't know how to express joyful appreciative feelings.
    All of us here appreciate your work. Hope you get it back at some point, since it's your first.

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast