Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I'm upset...he didn't like it >

I'm upset...he didn't like it

I'm upset...he didn't like it

Old 06-20-2010, 06:27 AM

I asked my son if he wanted me to make him a quilt, he picked out the fabric and design. Then a couple of years later went over to take care of the dog and the dog was laying on it...put it in the hamper to be washed...when it happened the second time, I took it home and washed it. When my daughter saw it, and remarked that it would go in her living room, gave it to her. When her brother saw it at her house, he said we have one just like it, she told him, no you don't..and what had happened. yes, it hurts!
Old 06-20-2010, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by skavanau
How old is your Dad? I think when people get older they just blurt out instead of thinking before they speak. I think its beautiful and you did a wonderful job. Id go back and get it and give it to someone who appreciates the hard work and time you put into it. Give your Dad something else and forget it. You cant change how people think. Think of your next project ......
This is what I had been thinking. I've noticed that as my mother is getting older, she seems to have lost the ability to 'edit herself.' She says things that are insulting or racist or offensive, things that she never would have said in her prime. I'm finishing a quilt for her for her 85th birthday this week, and your post reminds me to have low expectations for her response!

And Happy Fathers Day to all the dads out there, most of 'em anyway!
Old 06-20-2010, 06:30 AM

that is just a guy thing too!! Guys sometimes don't use their brains they just live in the moment sometimesLOL
Old 06-20-2010, 06:35 AM

I should think that it would strike a nerve! I think that is TERRIBLE! sorry, but I do! I am so sorry for you. I realllllly like the quilt! I think it looks great/
Old 06-20-2010, 06:46 AM

my mother lived in another town and when I took my quilt "album" to show her some of what I had done early on she was not impressed...I got a "oh thats nice". When moving to a condo she unearth some applique tulip blocks she had done for me for a baby quilt that never got done..she handed me the bag and said these are so ugly, (buttonhole stitched with black thread which was normal ?? years ago) I said sure and made a quilt for her on her 85th birthday and she actually cried. She loved it and kept it and when she passed away my DS gave it back to me...it is a great keepsake...never know elderly reaction at any given time...(mine either I guess LOL
Old 06-20-2010, 06:47 AM

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS!}}}}}}}}}}}
If you had been that rude as a kid, I'm sure you'd have had your mouth washed out with soap! Give him a bar of soap next time???
Old 06-20-2010, 06:49 AM

Oh boy! It seems like your post has hit a nerve! I also have a similar story. I made a gorgeous (I thought) Christmas star wall-hanging for my sister. She promptly put it on a side table as a table cover then put her coffee cup on it. Ouch. I think I was too shocked to say anything, but I wish I had. It still hurts. I'll never make another thing for her.

Hey, I have an idea. How about sending your dad the link to this discussion?

Your quilt is absolutely wonderful! Keep up the good work!
Old 06-20-2010, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Ritauk
This is my first post.

I'm shocked I'm still learning and making loads of mistakes.

Yours looks wonderful, his loss

Rita
Girl don't worry about the mistakes. The first quilt is the best learning tool you will ever have. Make them. learn from them and love every one.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:52 AM

I was all set to give an acquaintance a small hanging that I was making for her...but since talking and being with her, I find that I really don't think that she would like, enjoy or whatever, so I will keep it and wait for someone who will really relish the idea of hanging it in their home.

There is always someone out there who appreciates fine craftsmanship..and your patriotic hanging is really quite lovely.

Keep up the good work and keep giving......you will be the winner in the end.

mj
Old 06-20-2010, 06:55 AM

I love it. You did a great job.