Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I'm upset...he didn't like it >

I'm upset...he didn't like it

I'm upset...he didn't like it

Old 06-20-2010, 02:32 PM
PJO

I absolutely love it! Its beautiful! I'm so sorry he hurt your feelings because you did a lovely job.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:39 PM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

honey, this is a wonderful idea and beautiful work !
The personality of the person, wow, very hurtful.
first thougth, How old is the person? Do they think more of "I can't use this?" Or, too blunt to get the point you made this just for him.

Yes, hurtful, but here, much appreciated the work, effort and anyone of us would love to have it !

So sorry,
El
Old 06-20-2010, 02:43 PM

I like it! My very first quilt was a small bargello patriotic wall hanging. I was afraid to give it to anyone. I haven't given any away yet.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:52 PM

{{{{Hugs}}}}
I'm sorry that you had this most painful experience. I crocheted an afghan for my mother and gave it to her as a gift, she said it was pretty but that I had not made the stitches tight enough and then pointed out errors... I had worked on this while driving to her house using the map light in order to have it finished in time. Parents can be so rude at times. I have multiple experiences as an adult of parental rejection ... it's their loss. {{{Hugs}}}
Old 06-20-2010, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by taiboo
I appreciate everyone's comments...I'm just venting...It really just struck a nerve today :-(
I'm sorry your Dad acted as he did. I know it hurts. Especially
when it was made and given with love. He will realize how hurtful his actions were someday.And be sorry for what he did.
{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}
Old 06-20-2010, 03:27 PM

I'm sorry your father did not appreciate your gift. Some people are not able to accept a gift at all but when it is a gift that you put so much effort in, it is very hurtful.

I made my husband a quilt in which I appliqued a Met player at bat. He is a collector and dealer of baseball cards and I expected him to display the quilt at his table at a baseball card show. When he chose not to have it at the show, I was hurt as well. So I know how you feel.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:30 PM

This is the first time i have EVER finished a quilt (well this is a wall-hanger), but still, This is the first time i EVER machine quilted and the first time EVER i did binding...I made this for my father for Father's day and gave it to him today. I wanted him to be the first person to ever receive one from me

He flat out told me he didn't really like it, it didn't look patriotic enough for him and actually asked why i would make him something like that...He hurt my feelings sooo bad. I didn't bring it home, i left it at his house...but i know he will never hang it. The VERY first thing ever i made and gave as a gift and it was rejected (by my father no less).

I understand that not everyone has the same taste - but really???? I'm just shocked.

Thanks for listening :-(
How old is your father? My mother in law is 81 and she has become very difficult to be around. She was always wonderful to me but about 5 years ago she became a different person. I think your gift is wonderful and very patriotic without being a fanatic. My husband and 3 of his brothers and my brother all served in the military -- needless to say I am PATRIOTIC! Don't let him upset you. You did GREAT!
Old 06-20-2010, 03:36 PM

I know it's not perfect, but I MADE it for him....I didn't even get a thank you :-( he just folded it and put it aside.
I can't imagine my "Favorite Dad" being anything but excited by something I made him! Feel free to send your quilt to him and I will send you a picture with an appreciative dad 8-)
Old 06-20-2010, 03:36 PM

The VERY first thing ever i made and gave as a gift and it was rejected (by my father no less).

I understand that not everyone has the same taste - but really???? I'm just shocked.

Thanks for listening :-(
I'm so sorry that this happened. Some people just are not quilt-worthy. They can be wonderful friends or dear family members, but if they don't appreciate quilts, they are not quilt-worthy.

Maybe you can get him a nice tie or a gift card to a favorite restaurant, and give it to him in trade for your quilt. But get that quilt back, girl!
Old 06-20-2010, 03:37 PM

I appreciate everyone's comments...I'm just venting...It really just struck a nerve today :-(
I am so sorry that your dad hurt your feelings. Does he critize other things that you do??