Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I'm upset...he didn't like it >

I'm upset...he didn't like it

I'm upset...he didn't like it

Old 06-19-2010, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
i'd be shocked, too.

go back and get it. give it to somebody who will appreciate it.

even fathers make mistakes. this one was a doozy.
Yep!! :D

And I think it's beautiful!! :D
Old 06-19-2010, 05:21 PM

I think most of us have had that happen. I would have taken it back home without him seeing and then let him ask you about it. People just don't understand how much love we put into our art. Hang in their your work is beautiful and the next recepient will be grateful. It all seems to balance out in the end to keep us going!
Old 06-19-2010, 05:23 PM

Did you ask daddy why he didn't like it. If hes say he doesn't like and he doesn't want it. Send it to a fallen soldier family. Or a wounded solider. Don't let him know he hurt you make him think it just didn't matter. Hugs
Old 06-19-2010, 05:24 PM

I'm sorry :(

My mom does that too. I've just learned not to make something for her unless she asks for it...
Old 06-19-2010, 05:27 PM
Power Poster

Kimberely- I think it's BEAUTIFUL!!! What kind of a patriot hurts his daughter's feelings like that???
His behavior is inexcusable. Sorry, no excuses (in my opinion).
I agree with the poster who said he sounds like a bully. And your daughters got to see this?? I was speechless reading your post. Why not give it to your hubby?? He sounds like a sweetie! Don't waste your time bringing him the things to hang it with.
((((((((((((( HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))
Old 06-19-2010, 05:27 PM

Most non quilter have no idea how long we work on a quilt we are doing for them.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:30 PM
Power Poster

I'm just wondering what his reaction would be on Christmas morning when you were 7 or 8 if you had said something like that about something he got you...........My Dad loved everything I ever got him, even if it was just typing paper.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:31 PM

Ouch, had to have hurt. Just remember, that age thinks differently (I just made my Dad a quilt & we had a deep discussion about this, he could not figure out why I made this just to make ME feel good) We had a long/wonderful discussion as to how in their day it was all based on doing something "useful/ make a buck to get the family ahead", not spend a bunch of money, etc etc, he didn't understand that I might just do something for "ME" to feel good! and hopefully him to appreciate. ( that I didn't just think what it would cost and how much "constructive" time it would take). Great understanding for both of us, sorry I have gone on, I just read this & thought of my Dad and am now, at the end of his life, understanding him. Beautiful, quilt, by the way!
Old 06-19-2010, 05:39 PM

Taiboo, So sorry you were hurt, been there done that, family you gotta lov'em :lol: With as much grace and dignity as possible ask for the gift back and ask if there is something that he could use or would like better. ( GREAT teaching opportunity for kids here)Take it home and put it where it belongs in a place of honor. It is beautiful, and how much more patriotic could it get? From your post(which I have followed from the beginning) I could tell it was made with great thought & care and love, so its his loss. Turn the other cheek, so to speak , be the bigger person, you only have to answer for what you do! Even though it still hurts :cry: (((((HUGS))))) and SEW forward!
Old 06-19-2010, 05:39 PM

I'm really sorry he hurt your feelings like that. Without getting into any family dynamics or potential health issues, your dad was, in a word, WRONG.

Before I read your post I had already scrolled down to the pic and fallen in love with your quilt. If you don't mind I'd love to make one myself for next year's fourth!