Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   WARNING!!! DO NOT TRY THIS ON YOUR QUILT!!!! I BLEW IT!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/warning-do-not-try-your-quilt-i-blew-t63562.html)

n2scraplvr 09-07-2010 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Theresa
Bummers. Gosh, what a lesson for all of us. Keep us posted on what finally worked.

It's a good lesson. I've gotten ink out of fabric before with hair spray so was very confident. You just never know. It was the type of ink I used apparently. Will keep you posted on what works; what didn't.

:D :D :D

n2scraplvr 09-07-2010 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Good reminder - thank you for showing us - I am sorry that you are having trouble removing the ink -

It was a good lesson for me and a good reminder to you guys! It's ok. I am confident it'll be removed. We are lucky in this country to have so many dependable products that work!

:D ;-)

Bobby's Girl 09-07-2010 05:13 PM

Buy a can of "Spray and Wash," now renamed "Resolve," and a box of Biz powder. (Get the aerosol, not the pump refill.) Spray the fabric, let it set for 10 minutes or so, then soak it in Biz dissolved in enough warm water to cover it. The soaking might take a day or two. Slosh (move) the quilt around in the Biz water a few times a day. When I taught school, I got ballpoint ink on my clothes daily, and it always came out using those products.

n2scraplvr 09-07-2010 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
no matter what you use always test a small corner to make sure, sometimes what came out just fine on this project would not come out of that one...always test before using anything; i had one of those blue disappear with water pens that disappeared just fine from the quilt top but stained the back...
since you are quilting with a dark thread it kind of blends in ok...but so sorry this happened.

You give excellent advice!! Better safe than sorry!! Test a corner first! Why didn't I think of that? lol. Sometimes we are so sure of things and then this happens.

:-D :-D

n2scraplvr 09-07-2010 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Bobby's Girl
Buy a can of "Spray and Wash," now renamed "Resolve," and a box of Biz powder. (Get the aerosol, not the pump refill.) Spray the fabric, let it set for 10 minutes or so, then soak it in Biz dissolved in enough warm water to cover it. The soaking might take a day or two. Slosh (move) the quilt around in the Biz water a few times a day. When I taught school, I got ballpoint ink on my clothes daily, and it always came out using those products.

Thank you, Bobby's Girl, for this nice tip!! Spray and Wash is nice but I found Oxyclean to beat that a mile. Oxyclean will remove old set-in stains! We can't get Biz powder in our location. Perhaps Naphtha Soap will work. It's always been advertised to get out the toughest stains! Will let you know if this works when I try. Thank you so much for this help!!

:D

n2scraplvr 09-07-2010 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie

Originally Posted by n2scraplvr

Originally Posted by watterstide
oh man! why an ink pen? back in the day, didn't they use pencils? i use chalk or a disappearing pen.
washable crayloa markers have been used with great success.
so sorry this happened to your quilt... :cry:

I can't stand what they have on the market! None of it is for fine lines like I love. Do they make water soluble pens? If so, they probably are not fine line enough for me. I've always gotten the ink out before with hair spray.

:oops: :oops:

There are fine line water soluable and air soluable pens. They are purple (air soluable) and blue (water soluable)--just like the regular ones just fine point. They are no wider than a regular pen.

I have a blue one but never use it, white and silver markers. I will now. Thank you so much, virtualbernie!!

:D :D

n2scraplvr 09-07-2010 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by bittersweet
Tide has a product that took sharpie marks out of my sisters table runner it is not the mark out pen but a new product for stains It might work

Oh, I love Tide. I did scrub with Tide already. It usually works. lol. Will have to see their new product. Thanks for that tip!! I will use it one day for sure!

n2scraplvr 09-07-2010 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Blue Bell
What a shame. Hope you find something to get it all out.

I do too! I'm sure there's something good out there that'll work wonders!

:-D :-D :-D

n2scraplvr 09-07-2010 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by sewnbyme4u
Don't throw in the towel just yet...try some of the suggestions on the following site.....keep us posted. You are not the first quilter to do this and unfortunately you won't be the last....
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/ballpointink

They are right about the different kinds of inks and resins! I bookmarked this site! Thank you so much. They suggested also "acetone" and that will work for sure!!! I should have thought of the nail polish remover but didn't. thank you, sewnbyme4u!!!

:-D :-D ;-)

n2scraplvr 09-07-2010 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Shivesa
Yikes! I use pens to trace on the back of fabric (like if I'm using a template), and today I used one to make tiny little dots to mark so my quilted triangles would be even - but I made just a dot where each point should be and kept them on the other quilted threads so it wouldn't show up.

So sorry about the ink not coming out - it's such a lovely quilt. Hopefully some of the suggestions offered here will work!

Oh, that was a great move putting the dots on!! Lots of people will try that out!! Thank you so much, Lady Shivesa!! I'm sure some of these ideas presented will work great!!