Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
This quilt is ugly but..... >

This quilt is ugly but.....

This quilt is ugly but.....

Old 07-19-2011, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by maine ladybug
Oh that's not an ugly quilt, it's a beautiful quilt. I has beautiful memories attached to it.
I don't have the quilt my Mom used for her treatments and riding back and forth to them. It was one of the first quilts I made and it was buried with her when she left us. It was left with her by mistake, but I grew to understand that it wasn't a mistake, it's where it should be, wrapped around my Mom.
You are soo right-it is where it was supposed to be!!! Sometimes we hold on to items for the memories but the memories are really what matters most!!! You more than likely have a picture of the quilt and can remember how much comfort it gave your mom during the roughest time in her life.

Its great to hear of all the great stories!!! As I said its really growing on me - I love it more each day lol
Old 07-19-2011, 04:22 AM

I made a quilt for my sister back in the '80's out of polyester. I had forgotten about it & spent a night at her house last winter. It was on the bed! Then I remember it & had fun finding fabric from a favorite dress & some of my kids clothers. Some fabric I couldn't place, then remembered I made some clothes for husband's aunt. It was tied & my DD helped me do it. The backing was bought over to top & it was a horrible job. But it was warm & in wonderful condition. Guess it was my 1st attempt at quilting!! It was fun to look at.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by maine ladybug
Oh that's not an ugly quilt, it's a beautiful quilt. I has beautiful memories attached to it.
I don't have the quilt my Mom used for her treatments and riding back and forth to them. It was one of the first quilts I made and it was buried with her when she left us. It was left with her by mistake, but I grew to understand that it wasn't a mistake, it's where it should be, wrapped around my Mom.
I was near tears already on this thread and then this reply pushed me right over the edge!

Both stories are beautiful, so the quilts are beautiful.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:40 AM
Power Poster

It's not ugly.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

why not cover the ink on the back with a new label- perhaps telling a bit of it's story- for whom ever gets it when you pass on?
Old 07-19-2011, 06:21 AM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!! Beauty is in the memories we hold dear. So your quilt is not ugly at all as it holds treasured memories!!
Old 07-19-2011, 06:23 AM

What a wonderful story. I am so glad your Dad got his quilt back. Maybe you could put a new label over the the permanent marker.

I have several quilts that I inherited when my mother passed away. Some of these quilts are over 100 years old. I don't use them but I do get them out every so often just to look at them.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:28 AM

Yes, I have a quilt my DH's grandmother made for him many years ago. It is a simple 9patch made of polyester knits but Grannie spiced it up by hand embroidering a featherstitch over each seam. It is very, very warm. It seems a bit fragile after years of use so I just admire it now.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:32 AM

I don't think the quilt is ugly. It was made with love by your cousins for your dad, that makes it a very beautiful quilt. I'm sure you'll cherish it forever.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:36 AM

I really like it!!!