Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
This quilt is ugly but..... >

This quilt is ugly but.....

This quilt is ugly but.....

Old 07-19-2011, 12:49 PM

It's not ugly. The beauty with all the love shines through.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by emsgranny
I think this quilt is ugly but it has such meaning for me.

My DHs cousins put this together for my dad when he got sick years ago. It is made out of polyester strips and cotton backing. Its great in that its warm and not very heavy. He had severe neuropathy and any kind of heavy blankets or clothes hurt him especially in his feet and legs.He used it at home and took it to the nursing home when mom couldnt take of him any longer.

He was so upset when it supposedly got lost in the laundry. We peeked in doors for several weeks and we finalky saw it in another patients room!!! We told the nursing staff and they quickly retrieved it and had it re-washed. The other patient has torn off dads name label and wrote their name in permanent ink on the back.

Dad was sooo happy to get his blanket back. He passed away 10 years ago and I inherited his qulilt - I sleep with it every nite. I take it with me if I go out of town so I have a little bit of home with me. It has held up well and has outlived dad and 3 of the 4 cousins who made it for him. The other atient's name can stillk be read!!! I always thought it was ugly but it has such great meaning for me that it gets prettier every day lol

So does anyone else have a such a quilt???
I think the quilt is lovely. Glad you have it to use and to have those great memories.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:40 PM

I don't see an ugly part on it! The history in itself makes it beautiful.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:56 PM

I think it's lovely (I like scrappy and not necessarily matching!).

One thing I've learned... make that label hard to take out. I cover 2 edges of my label with my binding. Another friend has an embroidery machine and she makes a label and pieces it into the back and then quilts over it. It's pretty hard to dispute who the quilt belongs to!
Old 07-19-2011, 05:07 PM

I have a crocheted afghan that my grandmother's cousin made for her when she could no longer live alone and came to live with my mom. It was made in the 1970s with leftover yarn...every zig-zag stripe is a different color, very bright. It totally covers a twin-size bed and is very heavy and very warm. Grandma used it for several years in her room at our home. She was 92 when she passed. My mother used it on and off after Grandma died and then it was kept in her car. Mom's been gone a few years. About two years ago I got it out for use in our family room during the cold winter months. My husband's not fond of it, but it's warm and we all use it. It has good memories for me.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:21 PM
Power Poster

It's not ugly and is a very special qult. Glad you inherited it and are giving it a good home.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:52 PM

No ugly quilts, they all have a story close to one's heart.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:51 PM

The quilt is beautiful.I have a quilt that my mom started she love to hand emboridery so she bought a queen kit and started doing the blocks then about half way through she got really sick.After she passed I got it out and completed it.That quilt means more to me then anything I own.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:32 PM

The quilt of love ... never ugly with the history it has
Old 07-20-2011, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by cinnamon
The quilt is beautiful.I have a quilt that my mom started she love to hand emboridery so she bought a queen kit and started doing the blocks then about half way through she got really sick.After she passed I got it out and completed it.That quilt means more to me then anything I own.
Would love to see pictures of this quilt...She would be soo happy that you finished it and now you can say it was a joint effort that the two of you did..what a special gift!!!

I have some quilt squares my mom embroidered and I want to make them into quilts for my daughters. I havent done them yet-I want to make them special and not "mess" up. They are simple blocks but I want to do it right. I had done some embroidered quilt blocks in varigated pastels - I thought they turned out great and when my daughter got engaged her future mother in law took the blocks and she and her sisters made a quilt for her using the blocks - the engagement is off and the quilt is with his family. I am close to finding enough varigated thread to duplicate blocks - maybe next time lol

It might take me awhile but I will try to find out how this quilt was done - I can tell the backing was brought forward for the binding but the backing was somehow sewn in with the long rows which stablizes it very well. I just cant figure it out since there are no stitches showing on the front!!! - will try to find remaining cousin to see if she remembers how she did it. I think I may have to go to salvation army and buy polyester clothes and try one myself lol