Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
What do you like best and least about your sewing space? >

What do you like best and least about your sewing space?

What do you like best and least about your sewing space?

Old 01-16-2009, 11:19 AM

I have a room just for sewing/crafting. Mostly sewing.

Doors - I am right off the family room so I'm not isolated but I can close doors if I need to.

Lighting - I have lights right over my sewing machines in the middle of the room and my cutting table is in a baywindow with lights above it too.

sewing machines - I have my sewing machine and my embroidery machine at right angles to each other so I can work on both at the same time when I want to.

ironing board - My DH made me a big one out of plywood so I don't deal with the small regular ones but I can remove it when I iron his shirts.

TV- I have a TV complete with cable.

Storage - One whole wall clear to the ceiling is solid shelves. Probably 10 ft just for fabric. I have batting up high.

Design wall - Since I am vertically challenged (short) I use the family room floor.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:23 AM

The best is that I have a room to be in. The least, I share it with the dining room, LOL. When I first started quilting 6 months ago, I didn't think or anticipate having so much fabric, tools, supplies, etc... What can I say, being a newbie, I came across some excellent deals that I couldn't pass up, especially from CL. Now I'm feeling very cramped, bought some storage bins and store it under the table and along the wall. Since I don't have a design wall, I rely on the floor to see my pieces come together. The downside, it has to get picked up so no one can walk on it. So, that means until it get's done, I'm picking up and putting down fabric. At least it's some type of exercise, LOL :D
Old 01-16-2009, 11:36 AM

I have to say Bev I would love your view. How do you get any quilting done? I'd spend too much time looking out the window.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:44 AM

I like the best, the space and the daylight. What I like the least: the night lighting, the distance to home (11 miles)!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-42668.jpe   attachment-42728.jpe   attachment-42886.jpe  
Old 01-16-2009, 11:47 AM

Wow, I love your space. Is this the top of your church or do you have an entire church building to sew in?
Old 01-16-2009, 11:51 AM

I share ownership of the longarm with the woman who also owns the building. Yes, it is a former church. In the basement, she rents it out for quilters and scrappers, and on Wednesdays, we have a group of ladies who work on charity quilts. There are now 4 of us who quilt the charities, and we still can't keep up with that bunch! I try to do one per month in between customer quilts. If someone else in quilting on Wednesdays, I try to actually work on MY quilts (yes, I still LOVE to piece, I just don't get much time for it!)
Old 01-16-2009, 11:55 AM

That is really neat to use an old church building. There is an old school building here I have wanted and the town will not lease it out or sell it. Reusing old buildings is fantastic and also helps preserve history.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:04 PM

I love that I FINALLY have a room of my own to sew in (daughter got a teaching job and moved out). I wish it were a bit bigger, but it's working. Lighting is OK. I may need to rearrange things a little bit to make it more functional. What I do need is one of those plastic things you put under a desk so your chair can roll around. Doesn't work very well on the carpeting!
Old 01-16-2009, 12:22 PM

i love that I have been able to take over about 1/4 of our unfinished basement as my sewing room. It's open to everything, there is a window, decent lighting and I can easily temporarily bleed into other spaces down there if I need to! There's even room (barely) in my space to finish putting together my quilt frame!

what i dislike the least is that i haven't taken the initiative to get more outlets put in, and because it is an unfinished basement with my sewing spot at a window, in MN, it gets cold. There is one outlet on my 1/2 of the basement and I have the phone, heater fan, iron, radio and sewing machine all hooked up to that one outlet (with extension cords and power strips!), so I can't run the heater and the iron at the same time....

guess it's time to call the electrician!

Old 01-16-2009, 12:30 PM

I love having a room with a lot of light; ands not sewing in the livingroom or in the kitchen. I hate it is not bigger so I could move around.