Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
What do you like best and least about your sewing space? >

What do you like best and least about your sewing space?

What do you like best and least about your sewing space?

Old 01-16-2009, 12:45 PM

Faith-I love your sewing room. You picked a really pretty color for your walls-it is so soothing. I can imagine that you love to spend time in there.

Since my husband was in the army and we moved around for 30 years I have sewn in a corner of our bedroom, a closet, or in the den. The fact that I have my very own room now is fun!! I love everything about it!!!!
Old 01-16-2009, 01:29 PM

I have a corner that shares part of the kitchen table- I'd guess the space is 4'x4'. I have no complaints except that I can't get away from the hub-bub, it's fine most of the time, DD is little and needs the supervision, but it would be nice sometimes to close a door.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:41 PM

I was recently chased upstairs, they got tired of the sewingmachine in the living room I guess.

Now I sew in my own room (still working out where it all goes so I haven't taken pics) and it's so quiet! I miss having people around. I take a break every hour to seek out humans.

Of course, it has it's benefits too- I was there for several hours and no one came looking for me. When I came downstairs everyone assumed I had been gone to the store or something. Gosh, I hope I never have a medical emergency, they will never look for me.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:09 PM
Zoo

I like that I finally have a sewing space, it's a spare room that we also use for leatherworking and other projects. What I like least about it is that the biggest table in our home is in our dinning room so during each large sewing project things start to migrate from upstairs down to the dinning room.
It all starts innocently enough, a cutting matt, fabric, rotary cutter, measuring tape...then the iron...more fabric...the sewing machine...pin cushions.....then my husband's making comments on if we want to eat dinner in the "sewing room".
Zoo
Old 01-16-2009, 02:22 PM

hmmm, sewing space? Since it's just me & zzyzx the cat in my mobile home, quilting & fabric have taken over almost every room! My fabric, even tho' it has a room of its very own, has figured out how to open the door when I'm not home & keeps migrating into the other rooms. I cut fabric on either the dining table or the coffee table, depending on how I feel. The sewing machine has a table in the livingroom so I can see the TV (yes, I only have ONE TV!). I recently bought one of those ironing board holders to put on the inside of the linen cupboard door, but haven't put it up yet.
So far, my design wall is just in my head.
For lighting, I have a floor lamp that looks like a klieg lamp & an Ott desk lamp, & they seem to work OK for me.
What I don't like? Well, I don't like that I seem to have become more & more disorganized! But I keep trying! :wink:
Old 01-16-2009, 04:28 PM
Power Poster

What I like best is the convience of everything. I can just roll my chair from station to station.

The least is I don't have a design board or cutting table (not enough room) and I have to use the diningroom table.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmaker101
Originally Posted by faith
Here are some pictures of mine.. I love the color of the room and the light that comes in there.. AND>. ... that I finally have the room .. had to wait for a daughter to get married!
Least.... my design wall! Pretty sad... what do you use for a design wall?
Deb
Here's what I like best about my sewing room. The drafting table. (I am so bad! I have shared this about 3 times now, but I am just so proud to have it - plus it was free!)

I am so tempted to paint the room aqua, but that means getting everything out first. No thanks.

As for the design wall, you can see mine in the background. I went to Home Depot and bought a sheet of foam board - on the drywall aisle. It is an insulating material for walls, but I sprayed it with adhesive then smoothed diaper flannel on it. It so light, and everything sticks to the flannel. The total cost was about $25.
I love the drafting table...
Old 01-16-2009, 05:18 PM

The thing I like the best about my sewing room is that its all mine. My hubby bought me two 6ft x4ft cabinets from Ikea for my fabric with doors so it looks nice most of the time lol. I bought a very large framed canvas from Micheals and attached flannel to it and hubby put it on the wall for a design wall, its perfect. I can sew and listen to music and just enjoy myself. Its big enough for my granddaughters to come and quilt with me or just sit and chat.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:49 PM

I live by myself and have my sewing machine table and ironing board in the living room so I can watch TV while sewing! The sewing machine table is in front of a big south facing window with a swing arm lamp for nite sewing. :lol:
I do have a room that was to be the sewing room, and the cutting table is in the middle of the room and the walls are lined with shelves full of fabric. Alas, the table there is also full of fabric! :( So I can't use it for cutting at present.
I do have tubs that are full of fabric as well! And whenever I put something away, that is what I want! So things don't stay put away! And if I knew where away was, I would put more things away.
I also have a big piece of styrofoam board that I hung on a wall in the living room with a big piece of flannel backed table cloth hung on it that works just fine for my design wall!
I LOVE LIVING in my living room!
Old 01-16-2009, 06:14 PM

I share my sewing room with my office - used to share it with my parrots. It is not big enough, but does have french doors that I can shut if it is messy. Since we are planning on moving, one thing I am looking for is a nice big sewing room near the kitchen, so I can sew and cook at the same time. I have a view of the ocean right now, and will miss that. Right now I use the kitchen bar to cut fabric and that works out good. I have been checking out kitchen islands for my new cutting system when we move.