2015 Fabric Moratorium

Old 10-23-2015, 07:08 PM

Confession time. I broke my own rule which was to only buy fabric that I needed to coordinate with the recipient's decor till the end of the year . I bought those, but that wasn't all .I bought some reds and whites and some just because it's so pretty and a very good price. But I think after this weekend I'll be set for a good long while. I haven't gone hog wild, have not exceeded my budget, nothing crazy. Just wish I had forced a tighter rein on my "bit."
Old 10-23-2015, 09:18 PM
Power Poster

zozee. I think life would be very boring if we only every ate what was healthy for us, and only used fabric that we NEEDED for our projects. LIFE IS WORTH LIVING! which means that we sometimes jump off the wagon and break the rules. U go girl! Glad you had your moment. Now back on that wagon ~ off you go.
Old 10-24-2015, 04:30 AM

Sewred that's a good deal!
3 weeks and no fabric ok! Wow your willpower is strong. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun discussing your GD's project with her. I hope you're enjoying working in the quilt store. What a great job that seems like.
Scissor queen that's long time without purchasing fabric. I too have pared fabric on occasion - usually when moving.
I have stayed on the wagon since my last fall (which wasn't that long ago unfortunately). With my fall of fat quarters galore I have organized those to where I can use them easily. I had them in a rubbermaid tote so to see them I had to go through all them. I had several under the bed containers that were empty and they fit well in them so now I can see all those lovely pieces - also organized by color
Zozee we can't be good all time. Just hop back up here.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:47 AM
Power Poster

I am such a lucky (and blessed) girl. Got another squishy in the mail yesterday with lovely strips. Thanks bunches, Princess. I appreciated to read the back story. Sounds like your sister is a bit of an enabler, particularly when she hands off her own stash to you. lol I have now sorted all of the new arrivals and the ironing board is full again.

EVERY one of the additions plays nicely with what I already had. So now I am alternating between pressing, cutting, sorting sets of 8 and sewing more blocks on paper. Slowly the pile is decreasing, just so I can build it up again. Not sure yet how big this one will be. The 81 sets I have prepared at the moment will yield a 54" square.

Well, better get to getting'

Have not bought any fabric for myself. My BFF wants to get into quilting. She started once before and has her first top unfinished. When her MIL passed away, she got all of her tops so she is now motivated to finish them. I am just excited that I get to mentor a newbie. YAY!
Old 10-26-2015, 04:26 AM
Power Poster

Martina, I'm glad to hear that the last group is playing well with the others! I just started a holiday table runner. 66 Christmas trees, all different fabrics, all pulled from stash. I'll post a photo when it's done.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:55 AM

i went off the grid and didnt buy any fabric for almost 3 days i think i did a good job no really I returned some fabric that just didnt fit my stash and got some to made a dress I haven been doing much sewing since august i had both hands and one elbow worked and am just now getting back to sewing and in that time i moved my sewing room to a winter warmer room in the house where i was in a room like a sun room and it was way to cold out there during the winter so i moved into a bedroom in the house
Old 10-27-2015, 07:48 PM

I think everyone is doing fairly well as this year's challenge to watch our fabric buying winds down. Martina, I have forgotten why the nice friends here are sending you squishy's but I and others here are sure looking forward to what you are making. :-) I liked the analogy of we al never do what is best for us..all the time so if we fall off the wagon once in a while, it is ok. I know that I have done a lot of thinking before buying much of anything this year and plan to do a lot more of it next year, too.Will just go sew something instead of making a purchase.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:54 AM

It's been so long since I bought real quilting fabric. Honestly, it was long before this moratorium came along. I hadn't been able to sew for close to a year due to tearing up floors to lay new ones and then moving things around so I could have a new sewing space and painting and other things that I couldn't get to my sewing area to quilt. I wouldn't be surprised if it's been at least 18 months since I've been able to shop and buy anything new. Other than the fabric for the roman shades, but those were necessary and it's not the same thing as nice quilting fabric.

Well, I'm going to have to buy some very soon. I need fabric for my grandson's bed quilt. I thought I had what was perfect fabric in my stash and I was so excited to use it. I cut a few strips, laid them out together and took a photo to send to DD. She looked at them and told me they were too old-fashioned and not bright enough for the quilt she was seeing in her head. Well, I don't have enough of anything she's thinking about and she's not thinking scrappy. Okay, but I don't have a quilt shop here, I don't want to buy on-line, so that means a trip and I don't have time to just take a trip. I work full time.

Still, I guess I need to make time to go shopping. She and DSIL.....yes, he loves my quilts and helps in the planning....want a chevron quilt in blue, green and gray. The blue and green have to be very bright and the gray pale. I even know how to quilt it already.

In the meantime, I've been piecing a scrap quilt from my stash and finishing the hand quilting on a UFO I've had put away for years. I had done the majority of the hand quilting in the blocks, but put it away when it got too hot to work on it. Now that it's cool in the house, it's the perfect time to work on it. Just 3 more blocks and I'm done and I can trim and add the binding.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:58 PM

I tink I've balanced the fabric diet with "exercise" because I sold at least as much as I bought in the past three weeks. Fabric I'll never use and so why have it taking up valuable space if it's not inspiring to look at ? I've also given away a gallon of scraps so things are looking more serene . And like my mom always said to my dad whenever she'd buy umpteen books at a time, "If you think THIS is a lot, you should see what I left at the store!"
Old 10-30-2015, 04:26 PM
Power Poster

Might as well ask for penance now. I am going to the Pismo Beach quilt retreat again next week. I did take a look at the list of quilt stores on my way and whittled it down to 2. The first one is absolutely FABULOUS. The other one is in town. I might just get some gifts for friends at the retreat......but then, I might not. hehe