2015 Fabric Moratorium

Old 01-27-2015, 07:22 PM
Power Poster

Lori you are in good company. Understanding the seriousness is half the battle.

Pokey - you will get the "souvenir" and the "support the local economy" waiver.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:49 PM

I finished my part in 6 baby quilts-sandwiching, pillow-turning, and top stitching. Now someone else will tie them.

I used approximately 6.5 yards of washed heavy flannel for the batting and around 7.5 yards of cotton backing from my stash.

Connie
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 01-28-2015, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

Well, darn! I made it all the way to the 27th. I've been staying out of quilting stores, both brick & mortar and online, but those thrift shops keep calling my name. I wanted to make some totes, and found 6 yards of a really nice mid weight taupe-y grey home dec fabric. 62" wide. $6.50. Almost $1/yard. Well at least it's not quilting cotton...
Old 01-28-2015, 07:38 AM

Paper Princess:That's a great price and you have a purpose for it.

I went to volunteer and drop off my baby quilts last night and a bag had my name on it. I saw that it was fabric but hoped it was for another Connie because one of my personal fabric moratorium thoughts was to not add material to my stash by either bringing it home from one of the groups or keeping some of the donated material for volunteer projects until my UFO's were under control. Lol! I know I can always get more fabric from my 2 volunteer groups when I need it.

But who can turn down batiks! Another volunteer was rearranging things on shelves where I volunteer and found this bag that she had intended for me to look through last summer. So I guess I didn't break this year's personal moratorium since I was suppose to get it last year!

There are some finished 4 inch squares, strips of varying width, small squares, etc. Because I'm working on Judy's number 8 Mystery, all I can think of is SORT by lights, medium lights, etc.

Connie
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

Last edited by retiredteacher09; 01-28-2015 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:10 PM
Power Poster

Connie. Yes there is a rule that if you were really supposed to get something last year, but didn't get until this year it doesn't count. OK, that rule doesn't really exist, but it should. I covet your bag of batiks! Enjoy.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:52 PM

Connie, I agree with others This definitely does not count against you. I have to admit to everyone that I am planning on jumping off the wagon soon. I need some blacks, black on black, black and white prints etc. to finish some things I have planned with red and white and I do NOT have ANY black. So just saying ahead of time sothat when I post that I found some, you all will know it is a planned exit. :-)
Old 01-28-2015, 08:19 PM
Power Poster

Nice haul there, teacher, and a nice tally on the stash reduction. As for the bag - well it was a gift, wasn't it? It would be so rude to turn down a gift, so you are golden.

Princess, I don't count home decor fabric in this moratorium because we generally don't "quilt" with that fabric PLUS you have a purpose for it.

DH told me that he needs me to make a wrap for his telescope to keep it from fogging up. That will take care of that piece of denim I didn't know what to do with.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:41 AM

Went off the wagon! Love everybody's reasoning. Somebody quick give me a reason I fell So as soon as I do my happy dance for the fabric that's coming, I'll sheepishly crawl back on the wagon and continue on the ride. In my defense it was only 2 yards that will go in my stash and 2 yards I'll be making into wheelchair lap quilts for a great niece. Wanted something scenic (panels) and I have none of that kind of thing. So I'm only counting the two!
Old 01-29-2015, 09:59 AM

It is almost the end of the month and no fabric purchases so far. Making I Spy quilts for 2 GKs - just pulling fabric- hoping I have enough variety... at worse, I may need a FQ of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle... Yesterday I put 6 items in an online shopping cart and today all but one of those fabrics is all sold out... no order! So far so good.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:31 PM

You ladies are a good influence! I started thinking about backing for a quilt today, and rather than going to the LQS, I thought of this thread and found a couple of larger yardage pieces in my stash that should work nicely pieced together. I feel so virtuous!